English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 27 June 2009, 11:26   #1
gilgamesh
Linux snob

"Tripos, the Roots of AmigaDOS" at pagetable.com

Pagetable.com found out some new details about the relation between TripOS and AmigaOS by comparing the manuals. See for yourself, here.
Old 27 June 2009, 14:40   #2
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Interesting after reading that I found
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/tripos.html
What happend to TripOs? and how comparable is it to AmigaOs -Does it have a Startup-sequence, C Folder, Devs............................

Edit: Seems like yes basicly the same - id like to see a screen shot of TripOs

Last edited by Retro1234; 27 June 2009 at 14:56.
Old 27 June 2009, 17:20   #3
Retro1234
Bo Bo

I sent Dr Tim King the creater of TripOs/ADos an E-Mail and heres what he replyed.

"Tripos was entirely command line based - much like Unix/Linux was before X-Windows and Gnome and stuff. The rest of the Amiga team put together the graphical front end. RJ Michael did Intuition which was the icons and stuff; Dale Luck did the graphics that underpinned it."

So it would have booted into Cli - Ive searched for a Picture of the OS but found nothing Tim pointed out I wont find a picture of the Gui because there isnt one But ive still asked if he has a picture of the command line in action

Last edited by Retro1234; 27 June 2009 at 17:33.
Old 27 June 2009, 17:39   #4
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Great that Dr King has answered.

Make your own screenshot. Download the sourcecode from here.
Wikipedia says TripOS is still maintained.
You might be interested in this older article by pagetable.

If I remember correctly, ArsTechnica has some info about this, too.
Old 27 June 2009, 18:13   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Interesting. I didn't know complete WB directory layout, device names (including floppy drives but not hard drive names until 2.0 when Tripos code was already rewritten.. Weird..), filesystem, mountlist etc.. came directly from Tripos.
Old 23 April 2018, 17:30   #6
Retro1234
Bo Bo

I would'nt know how to use it I think I've found a screenshot http://www.alanbuxey.co.uk/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Great that Dr King has answered.

Make your own screenshot. Download the sourcecode from here.
Wikipedia says TripOS is still maintained.
You might be interested in this older article by pagetable.

If I remember correctly, ArsTechnica has some info about this, too.
Old 23 April 2018, 21:50   #7
malko

Old 24 April 2018, 00:26   #8
kolla

Funny part is that if the Amiga and Commodore engineers could have had it their way, there would be CAOS (Commodore Amiga Operating System) instead of TripOS, with resource tracking and all the goodies we miss today. Licensing TripOS was the "easy way out" of the dilemma of not having a disk operating system core ready in time.
Old 24 April 2018, 14:07   #9
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Funny part is that if the Amiga and Commodore engineers could have had it their way, there would be CAOS (Commodore Amiga Operating System) instead of TripOS, with resource tracking and all the goodies we miss today. Licensing TripOS was the "easy way out" of the dilemma of not having a disk operating system core ready in time.
AFAIK CAOS was written (according to Amiga Inc.'s spec) by a third-party developer anyway, who did not kept schedule/wanted to renegotiate contracts after Commodore bought Amiga (there are different versions on that). It has got some kind of mythical reputation nowadays, but as with many such things it's an important part of that reputation that it was never released and never had to prove itself in reality.
TripOS on the other hand had some things that were missing (resource tracking) or ugly and alien (BCPL), but also a lot of niceties like the dynamic ram disk, devices, mount lists, the cli etc. that probably wouldn't have been there had CAOS succeeded. So if people compare Amiga(D)OS to a hypothetical CAOS with all he promised features (of course with perfect stability, like any brand new software) and those from TripOS that they take for granted, it's kind of an unfair comparision.

Last edited by chb; 24 April 2018 at 14:12.