English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 October 2012, 19:10   #61
yaqube

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
I saw this and i even ask Her about details but no reply.
I have also asked Her about those schematics but have got no reply. Shame
Old 20 October 2012, 19:16   #62
mc6809e

Quote:
I've read HRM and from my understanding interrupts must be correctly processed - CPU is to slow to deal with such things.
Depends on the frequency I think.

Amiga audio is interesting in that the output rate per channel is variable. If the output rate is low enough, the CPU is more than capable of keeping up.

And as Toni has pointed out before, the Amiga has a clever way of avoiding autovectoring for interrupts (autovector interrupts are a big hassle on Atari ST as they add a variable number of additional cycles to interrupt processing). This keeps interrupt response time low. I think the maximum is 40 cycles.

As mentioned early, though, the COPPER can update audio outputs, too, and that's very fast indeed, but less flexible of course.

I'd be interested in seeing if a hybrid approach might work: use DMA for some of the samples, but use the COPPER to sneak-in a few extra samples at those times when Paula requests a word from Agnus that can't be delivered in time.

The max DMA rate is two outputs per scanline per channel. If the period is set to 63, then two samples are output in the first half of a scanline. A COPPER list that causes the COPPER to wait mid-scanline can then load the next two samples for the second half of the scanline. This would give an output rate of 56K.

To make things fast, perhaps the blitter could be used to fill in the values for the COPPER list.
Old 20 October 2012, 20:24   #63
absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
Depends I think. Anything above about 56K values per second will change the granularity of the volume control mechanism, but I think some control is still available.
Constantly resetting the volume counter will also give strange results below 56 kHz. But you will get results - by "won't work" I just meant they won't be normal (i.e. volume 32 won't necessarily give you half amplitude).
Old 20 October 2012, 21:58   #64
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
You need to clear INTREQ (It can be done with copper) or state machine returns to idle state after period has counted twice to zero instead of starting to play next sample "word". AUDxDAT write with DMA OFF and channel INTREQ bit set: nothing happens.

It is clearly shown in HRM audio state diagram

Thx Toni, OK, so seems that i've not misunderstood HRM - there is no chance to bang directly AUDxDAT without processing interrupts generated after each word.
Old 20 October 2012, 22:29   #65
pandy71

Quote:
Depends on the frequency I think.

Amiga audio is interesting in that the output rate per channel is variable. If the output rate is low enough, the CPU is more than capable of keeping up.
CPU have enough tasks to process - i dont expect form 0.75MIPS CPU to deal with audio data.

Quote:
As mentioned early, though, the COPPER can update audio outputs, too, and that's very fast indeed, but less flexible of course.
Most of today sample rates are constant - i need oversample 2x typical sample rates ie 32, 44.1 and 48 ksps.

Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing if a hybrid approach might work: use DMA for some of the samples, but use the COPPER to sneak-in a few extra samples at those times when Paula requests a word from Agnus that can't be delivered in time.
I have also similar idea, only currently no chance to check...

Quote:
The max DMA rate is two outputs per scanline per channel. If the period is set to 63, then two samples are output in the first half of a scanline. A COPPER list that causes the COPPER to wait mid-scanline can then load the next two samples for the second half of the scanline. This would give an output rate of 56K.

To make things fast, perhaps the blitter could be used to fill in the values for the COPPER list.
This will be only part of the more complex task - 16 bit sample, quantize to 8 bit, quantization error add to next sample etc.
Old 20 October 2012, 23:56   #66
mc6809e

Quote:
Thx Toni, OK, so seems that i've not misunderstood HRM - there is no chance to bang directly AUDxDAT without processing interrupts generated after each word.
But you don't need to actually use interrupts. You just need to clear the INTREQ bit to get Paula to accept the next word.

It should be possible to drive Paula directly with the CPU by polling INTREQR to see which channel needs a new sample, then clear the right bit in INTREQ, and then load the next word and loop.
Old 21 October 2012, 00:03   #67
pandy71

Quote:
But you don't need to actually use interrupts. You just need to clear the INTREQ bit to get Paula to accept the next word.

It should be possible to drive Paula directly with the CPU by polling INTREQR to see which channel needs a new sample, then clear the right bit in INTREQ, and then load the next word and loop.

CPU is "asynchronous" when Copper is fully synchronous to audio - CPU should focus on how to prepare data but Copper should be responsible for perfect timing.
Old 21 October 2012, 00:50   #68
mc6809e

Quote:
CPU is "asynchronous" when Copper is fully synchronous to audio - CPU should focus on how to prepare data but Copper should be responsible for perfect timing.
Well you brought up interrupts which are handled by the CPU...

But I think in non-DMA mode Paula will simply continue to output the last value written to AUDxDAT until INTREQ is cleared and a new value is written to AUDxDAT.

If the period value is very short, then Paula simply waits for the next INTREQ clear and AUDxDAT load which can be controlled by a COPPER list.

And no need to process interrupts.
Old 21 October 2012, 14:45   #69
pandy71

Quote:
Well you brought up interrupts which are handled by the CPU...

But I think in non-DMA mode Paula will simply continue to output the last value written to AUDxDAT until INTREQ is cleared and a new value is written to AUDxDAT.

If the period value is very short, then Paula simply waits for the next INTREQ clear and AUDxDAT load which can be controlled by a COPPER list.

And no need to process interrupts.
Toni and HRM says something else (hey Toni did You realize that You are source comparable to HRM - Deus Ex Machina )
Old 21 October 2012, 15:00   #70
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Toni and HRM says something else (hey Toni did You realize that You are source comparable to HRM - Deus Ex Machina )
HRM may say something else but diagram won't lie

I am more surprised that the diagram actually matches what real hardware does..

But there is one mistake (I finally remembered it): state 011 to 010 transition has condition "perfin * (AUDxON + /AUDxIP)", it should be "perfin * (/AUDxON + /AUDxIP)" = return back to state 010 when period counted to zero and audio dma is off and interrupt request is cleared.

--
EDIT: I remembered wrong, it is correct. Go back to state 010 if period ended and (dma is on or interrupt status is cleared).. Without the AUDxON condition DMA mode wouldn't work at all. (and above "corrected" wrong condition was supposed to be "perfin * /AUDxON * /AUDxIP")
--

It is confirmed correct because pseudo code like this works:

Clear interrupt request, write only _once_ to AUDxDAT,
Wait for audio interrupt
Clear interrupt
Wait for audio interrupt
Clear interrupt
and so on..

010->011->010 state changes keep happening as long as interrupt is cleared. AUDxDAT write is only required to start the state machine.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 21 October 2012 at 18:15.
Old 22 October 2012, 19:34   #71
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what Toni said. (or maybe it is me who misunderstood ).
Toni, the HRM and my memory says that you have to clear INTREQ.

You don't need to enable interrupts to do that. You can keep interrupts disabled and just do a busy loop that waits for the bit in INTREQ to be set (to 1) by Paula.
When this happens, you reset (to 0) it.

This is what I recall and how I understand Toni's words
Old 22 October 2012, 19:51   #72
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, only channel's INTREQ bit needs to be cleared before both samples (one word) has finished playing. Paula won't care how you do it
Old 23 October 2012, 23:30   #73
pandy71

I understand correctly - however anything over wrote to AUDxDAT is unacceptable overhead on such bandwidth machine.
I understand that Copper need to make additional write and this is problem - i prefer bang AUDxDAT then dont care except those moment when i need "bang" - but i'm not a programmer... so perhaps this is doable without problems.
Old 15 September 2013, 21:34   #74
8bitbubsy

Bump.
This thread is very interesting, and we need more research on this topic.
Too bad Jeri won't share the inner chip diagram of Paula.. I guess it makes sense though, those diagrams weren't probably meant to be spread.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 15 August 2016 at 23:53.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:47   #75
spoUP

any news on this?
Old 11 November 2013, 17:53   #76
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
any news on this?
news on what?