English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 05 March 2020, 12:20   #1
LotusETC

D'oh! WHDL woes

Hi, first off sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking about this but I wasn't sure where else to try.

Short story - the intro animation in my WHDL version of 'The Simpsons - Bart vs. the Space Mutants' doesn't play.

More info - I've got the game working fine but when I fire it up I don't get the intro animation. The archive BartVsTheSpaceMutants_v1.1_2Disk_0884.lha from https://www.whdownload.com contains a file Intro2Disk.slave, and the ReadMe file says "Option to play game with or without the intro" but I can't fathom what I need to do to get it to play the game with the intro.

Can anyone help? Is there some setting in FS-UAE I need to enable or switch to add (a la PRELOAD)?

Thanks
Old 05 March 2020, 14:34   #2
Steffest

I just tried it and I didn't have to do anything special for the intro.
As you say: There are 2 slaves: "Intro2Disk" and "BartVsSpaceMutants2Disk"
Just open the "Intro2Disk" one and it will play.
No?

In the readme it says you need at least 1MB chipram for the intro, maybe you only configured 512k ?
Old 05 March 2020, 14:51   #3
LotusETC

I'll have another look at it tonight, thanks for the suggestions. I haven't done anything to the config so far, FS-UAE is linked up to OpenRetro and it usually automagically sorts out the config for me.

Last edited by LotusETC; 05 March 2020 at 16:02.
Old 05 March 2020, 18:46   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, when you use the automatic WHDLoad functionality in FS-UAE Launcher, a predetermined slave is started - the main one. If you had used WHDLoad as you would on a real Amiga, you'd be able to see both icons in Workbench, and click on the intro one as Steffest mentions.

You can still do this manually in the Launcher by going do the hard drives tab, alter the whdload arguments and replace the name of the slave with Intro2Disk.slave before starting the game.

(In the future, the Launcher/Arcade might be able to understand that there is multiple launch options, and present you with a choice. But this does not currently exist)
Old 05 March 2020, 21:55   #5
LotusETC

Success! I created a new config for the game (I use the FS-UAE Launcher.exe) and set the WHDLoad Arguments to:
Intro2Disk.slave PRELOAD
and it works a treat. The intro plays then it transitions to the main game.

Thanks all.
Old 05 March 2020, 22:14   #6
LotusETC

On an unrelated note I fear I've made a slight faux pas over at OpenRetro. I added a manual for the 'unpublished' game Mean Machine. It didn't seem to do anything so I hit Upload again and now there are two copies. The problem is that when I try to edit them in any way it says I don't have permission. If some kind soul could help that would be good. I wanted to:
1) Edit one of them to add the delete tag to remove the file
2) Edit the name of the remaining file to Mean-Machine-(en).pdf to denote the language
3) Add the docs:manual tag
4) Make it public

Sorry for being a pain!
Old 05 March 2020, 23:43   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Done, thanks for adding