English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 05 March 2010, 20:09   #1
gilgamesh
Linux snob

VBCC as cross sompiler under Linux

Hi there,

has anybody experiences using VBCC as a cross compiler Linux->AmigaOS? I've downloaded the sources and the target specific tarball, created directory bin/ and ran make. All questions about data types were answered with the standards (seemed quite reasonable).

Then I've copied config/aos68 to /etc, set VBCC to the source's directory and tried

Code:
./bin/vbccm68k +aos68k helloworld.c
Now VBCC complains about
Code:
 error 1: only one input file allowed 
 aborting... 
 1 error found!

EDIT: Using vc now instead of vbccm68k. That's better, but still does not work. Advice on using vbcc is still appreciated.

EDIT2: Yay, it works! You have to edit the config file aos86k to use Linux paths and commands, and don't forget to copy the updated version to /etc.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 05 March 2010 at 21:54.
Old 09 March 2010, 13:54   #2
phx
Natteravn

As you already figured out you have to use the compiler frontend "vc" when you want to use config files (which is highly recommended for convenience). The config file defines which compiler, which assembler and which linker to use and which target-specific options all those programs get passed.

I guess you got the sources from Volker's vbcc home page. This version is quite old (probably V0.8i?). You may download the recent V0.9a Linux binaries from http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vbcc/index.php?view=binaries (last entry on the page). The binaries are quite large though, because I linked them statically to make them work with as much Linux versions as possible.

Theoretically vbcc can be hosted as a cross compiler on any operating system. Just tell me what you need.
Old 09 March 2010, 14:08   #3
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Hey, the linked binaries work just fine under Linux.
(Although I'd prefer if the configuration files didn't need to go to /etc.)

Is there some way to generate executables for KS1.3?
Old 09 March 2010, 16:47   #4
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
(Although I'd prefer if the configuration files didn't need to go to /etc.)
They don't have to. As mentioned in the documentation you can set the environment variable $VBCC to define the location of the binaries and configs.
The recommended installation for Unix-like systems is to set $VBCC to "/usr/local/vbcc" and create there a directory "bin" for the binaries, "config" for the configuration files and "targets" for the targets to use.
You may want to download http://mail.pb-owl.de/~frank/vbcc/2009-10-16/vbcc_unix_config.zip for example config files with Unix paths.

Quote:
Is there some way to generate executables for KS1.3?
Sure. Just don't use vbcc's startup code and libraries (-nostdlib) and make sure to remove the option -Rshort from your 68k config file, to prevent vlink from generating relocation hunks with 16-bit offsets, which are only supported since V36.
I have also a Kickstart 1.x compatible startup code, but some functions in amiga.lib (not sure about vc.lib ATM) still require OS2.0.
When there is a big interest is Kick 1.x support, it is not difficult to change that, though.
Old 09 March 2010, 17:48   #5
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
As mentioned in the documentation you can set the environment variable $VBCC to define the location of the binaries and configs.
Ah, I see now.

Quote:
When there is a big interest is Kick 1.x support, it is not difficult to change that, though.
I'm definitely interested in KS1.x compatibility. Most people consider A500 to be the Amiga. And I think it would be cool if vbcc's standard libraries addressed the whole classic Amiga family. So if it's not too much work...
Old 10 March 2010, 15:34   #6
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
I'm definitely interested in KS1.x compatibility.
Ok, I just checked vclib and amigalib and both seem to be quite clean (OS version is checked where OS2.x/3.x functions are called). I only had to fix getenv(), which would crash under 1.x.

So what you have to do is the following:
Take the attached startup13.o.68k, rename to startup13.o and copy it into vbcc's 68k lib directory (where startup.o is).
Then create a new config file, called kick13. Just copy aos68k to kick13, replace startup.o by startup13.o and remove the option "-Rshort" from the line "-ldnodb=-s -Rshort".
That's it. Compile your Kickstart 1.x compatible executable with "vc +kick13 ...". Contact me when something is missing.

Last edited by phx; 07 December 2020 at 11:51.
Old 10 March 2010, 16:23   #7
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Very cool. Thank you

Works flawless so far.
I hope this makes its way into the official release, too.
Old 10 March 2010, 16:44   #8
phx
Natteravn

Sure. I wrote a note about it.
Old 10 March 2010, 22:51   #9
SyX

Quote:
I guess you got the sources from Volker's vbcc home page. This version is quite old (probably V0.8i?).
Hi Frank,

I wrote a Volker after the email in that i ask you for the sources to compile vbcc in linux 64 bits, and he uploaded the last versiĆ³n at his home page.

And i'm insterested in KS1.x compatibility too, thanks.
Old 12 March 2010, 16:01   #10
Leffmann

Thanks for adding the 1.3 support!
Old 19 March 2010, 17:42   #11
Leffmann

phx,

I downoaded the vbcc sources from Volker's page and built them for Win32 and OSX, but noticed these were still the old 0.8 sources. Do you have any new Win32 and OSX builds, or the latest sources available somewhere?
Old 19 March 2010, 20:00   #12
SyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
phx,

I downoaded the vbcc sources from Volker's page and built them for Win32 and OSX, but noticed these were still the old 0.8 sources. Do you have any new Win32 and OSX builds, or the latest sources available somewhere?
Are you sure?? I have downloaded and compiled the sources of Volker page. And when i launch vbcc, i get:
Code:
kahlan:~$ vbccm68k
vbcc V0.9a (c) in 1995-2009 by Volker Barthelmann
vbcc code-generator for m68k/ColdFire V1.8 (c) in 1995-2010 by Volker Barthelmann
I have uploaded this sources to the Zone.
Old 19 March 2010, 21:52   #13
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Are you sure?? I have downloaded and compiled the sources of Volker page. And when i launch vbcc, i get:
Code:
vbcc code-generator for m68k/ColdFire V1.8 (c) in 1995-2010 by Volker Barthelmann
I have uploaded this sources to the Zone.
This is what I get

Code:
zeroblue ~/downloads/vbcc/bin  vbccm68k
vbcc V0.8j (c) in 1995-2006 by Volker Barthelmann
vbcc code-generator for m68k/ColdFire V1.6a (c) in 1995-2005 by Volker Barthelmann
Will try the sources in the zone as well..

EDIT: LOL nevermind you're right, the sources are updated. This is what I call a "too many fingers error" Thanks again.
Old 21 March 2010, 12:43   #14
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Code:
Seems Volker has updated the source recently. Can be only a few weeks ago, because the 68k CodeGen is from 2010. So it even includes some of the post-V0.9a bug fixes (but maybe not all - I did the last fix on the preprocessor a week ago).