English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 05 September 2009, 04:40   #21
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
No, I mean the graphic filter setting 5 below the sound panel in the list to the left.
I certainly wouldn't have thought of that idea about the graphic filter. Thanks to your help along with Retroplay and Retronerd, I am about as close as I think I can get with this clunker of a system as it is. I even got WHDload games working after about an hour of trial and error and can see now why people are raving about it. I can now play roughly 80% of the games well enough with the sound actually working right but AGA and games like Shadow of the Beast still have "staticy" sound although graphicly it's ok. A 512 meg PC 133 simm runs under $10 now and that's a worthy investment to triple the memory and to get it up and going 100%. Gone are the days of $50 4 meg simms thank goodness.

Thanks again for your help and I hope all of you have a good weekend (that includes lots of retro gaming I hope.)

- Gyro
Old 05 September 2009, 04:59   #22
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Shadow of the Beast is not an AGA game, it's old skool OCS
I suggest you use the Portaudio plugin (place dll in WinUAE/plugins) if you use WinXP or WASABI if you use Vista/7.
Visual C++ 2008 SP1 might be needed in WinXP also if portaudio doesn't show up in WinUAE sound settings.
Oh and I also suggest you try ASIO4ALL.
Old 05 September 2009, 05:51   #23
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
I suggest you use the Portaudio plugin (place dll in WinUAE/plugins) if you use WinXP or WASABI if you use Vista/7.
Visual C++ 2008 SP1 might be needed in WinXP also if portaudio doesn't show up in WinUAE sound settings.
Oh and I also suggest you try ASIO4ALL.
Man, you guys don't quit, but guess what..... I'm using Windows Server 2003 on this guy (it's been in storage about 2 1/2 years). It's still my favorite OS that Mr Bill has ever created as it has never crashed on me. Anyway, I went ahead and tryed the PortAudio + Visual C++ anyway and d/led Asio4ALL but didn't see a change in sound settings. Any ideas on compatible drivers for this OS?
Old 05 September 2009, 07:14   #24
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Ok, it looks as if my machine is WDM compatible as the Winamp ASIO plugin worked fine. I created a dir called Plugins under winaue and put the dll there. Restarted the machine, and I don't see any change under sounds.

Old 05 September 2009, 09:24   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Not really sure ASIO will help with the sound here, but of course you can give it a try. Good to hear that it's almost sorted then. AGA games require a bit more horsepower, so that explains why they're not running smooth on your machine. Try if a RAM upgrade helps, but I think that your 1 Ghz is a bit too weak for the task given. See if you can find a 2 Ghz+ machine for a few bucks. These aren't really expensive and it will save a lot of headache (and time) and make Amiga gaming more fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Thanks again for your help and I hope all of you have a good weekend (that includes lots of retro gaming I hope.)
Have a good weekend too. Mine will surely include some retro gaming
Old 05 September 2009, 16:51   #26
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Ok, it looks as if my machine is WDM compatible as the Winamp ASIO plugin worked fine. I created a dir called Plugins under winaue and put the dll there. Restarted the machine, and I don't see any change under sounds.
Take a look at my screenshot a few posts back.
Change "Primary Sound Driver" to "PortAudio: [ASIO4ALL]" in WinUAE sound settings.
Old 05 September 2009, 17:44   #27
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Retroplay - Yeah, I caught that screenshot but for the longest time I could not get new options to appear there until I tryed again this morning but it seems to be intermittent. Sometimes the option is there and sometimes it's not, but even when it is it seems to make the sound worse by stuttering it. It looks like it's a program that uses spare memory to buffer in the sound, and I didn't have that much to spare. Reverting back to how it was left me that crazy crackling sound again with every game again. Once I manage to get it back I'm not going to touch it, but thanks for trying and for your previous help.

CyberDruid - Naah, I was just trying to find a use for this old PC. I'm more interested in the old school Amiga stuff anyway, but I am going to pop in a new simm as it would be an all around improvement for everything.

I'm going to actually head outside today and see what the sun is like. I'll work on this again tonight. You both have a good one.