English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 January 2016, 21:10   #41
saimon69
Bedroom musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post

This is game design 101, give the player a few seconds before throwing killing stuff at him at the start of any level. Like I said before, I really respect Richard Aplin programming skills and the completely bonkers job he had while porting those games, but I always felt he had no idea of what makes a good game, he was just a good programmer.

Which I actually think it's the case with a lot of people making Amiga games. There are a lot of "Look at this amazing parallax + copper rainbow + reuse of sprites + realistic physics + 32 colors + 50 fps + any freaking amazing trick" but no gameplay whatsoever to back all those programming tricks.
That is one reason console games seems better: programmers did the tools and then playability was tweaked by third persons together with testing; when is the coder itself to test, it might tweak for its own skills (that testing on become very high), that happened to Powder
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 January 2016, 21:20   #42
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Guess this is more Japanese X European developers, not necessarily Console X Computer.

Don't get me wrong, there is a shitload of European games that I deeply love (Most of them for our beloved computer ) , but there are also a lot of games that just scream "Wasted Opportunity" that came from there. Double Dragon 2 is one of them, it looks like a couple of weeks of more playtesting and tweaking the game could had done wonders for it.
Old 05 January 2016, 22:49   #43
x56h34

I always thought that Shadow Dancer was a decent port on the Amiga. I feel like it plays well, and it's actually fun. It's not really a beat them up game though.
Old 05 January 2016, 22:56   #44
s2325
Zone Friend

You may try Sega Genesis / Mega Drive version which is different than any other.
Old 05 January 2016, 23:38   #45
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I never liked that "Secret of Shinobi/Shadow Dancer" Mega-Drive game too much. I think the arcade game is way better.
Shadow Dancer is a very good port indeed, not common for Sega games on Amiga.
Old 06 January 2016, 05:50   #46
Akira

Crazy talk! Shinobi III is marvelous.
Old 06 January 2016, 12:38   #47
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Shinobi III indeed is marvelous, as is Revenge of Shinobi (Maybe by fav one).

It's the one in the middle which isn't that good, at least in my opinion. This game here:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 January 2016, 22:22   #48
Superman

Wild Streets
Old 15 January 2016, 22:26   #49
s2325
Zone Friend

In Wild Streets fighting is slightly pointless as you can jump over enemies and your cat is confused or bored (probably both).
Old 15 January 2016, 22:44   #50
Steve T

Quote:
Shinobi III indeed is marvelous, as is Revenge of Shinobi (Maybe by fav one).

It's the one in the middle which isn't that good, at least in my opinion. This game here:
[ Show youtube player ]
Agree with this completely, Rev, 3, and the original arcade are some of my favourite games (rev being the tightest, most playable of them all), but never seemed to warm to any version of shadow dancer.
Old 18 January 2016, 11:41   #51
vulture

Anybody mentioned Alien Storm yet? Mediocre game....:/
Old 18 January 2016, 12:51   #52
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
I find even the arcade original to be rather mediocre.
Old 18 January 2016, 13:47   #53
vulture

True
Old 18 January 2016, 13:48   #54
s2325
Zone Friend

I'm curious if Alien Storm is Ghostbusters in disguise, redesigned at last moment. Very short weapon range, 3 characters to choose, aliens which "possess" items.
Old 18 January 2016, 14:43   #55
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

You know, this makes sense. Sega got the Ghostbusters license at some point since they made a Ghostbusters game for the Mega-Drive (but it's a platform game, very nice one actually)

There's a "The Real Ghostbusters" arcade game, from Data East, but it's an awful game, and it's no beat'em up, it's more of an Ikari Warriors type of game . It got an Amiga port if I recall correctly, though I never played the Amiga version.
Old 18 January 2016, 15:43   #56
jamielemon
Zone Friend

Golden Axe was the first scrolling fighting game I played on the Amiga. It was my favourite genre at the time (based on arcade gaming) so I played most of them which were released on the Amiga at one point or another. Golden Axe was, in my opinion, the only one which wasn't total crap.
The graphics are slightly worse than the arcade, probably due to less colours being used. But apart from that it's more or less a carbon copy. The attack timings and the hit boxes are all spot on.
None of the other Amiga scrolling fighter conversions came close to replicating their arcade sources, imo. They all suffered from that problem which was common to arcade-home computer conversions, in that the devs spent too long trying to perfect the "look" of the game, and completely ignored the "feel". Final Fight is a perfect example, in still screen shots you would mistakenly think it could be arcade perfect. But when you see it moving - yuck! About half the animation frames (at least) are missing, so when you knock someone over they fly through the air like a stiff plank of wood.
Scrolling fighters is one genre that the Amiga missed on out having a bona-fide classic, I think. It's a shame someone like the Bitmaps or Sensible didn't come up with an arcade-standard, Amiga-first take on the genre, to be honest. But maybe they thought the genre itself was too limited to begin with.
Old 18 January 2016, 15:45   #57
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
I always thought it to be an ok game, 7/10. Nothing great, nothing exciting, given the development time I recon they did a competent job. When playing it in NTSC through a CRT the graphics hold up quite well, to my eyes anyway.

Sometimes I think we forget how much better these games look running in their (then) native environments, large flat screen HD TV's and modern monitors do not do these games justice, especially the one's that never looked that great in the first place.

Always been puzzled by the lack of solid scrolling beat-em-ups on the Amiga, it doesn't help matters when the majority of these games are from Japanese developers on Japanese consoles/arcades, and the Amiga for them was just some strange foreign computer, lacking powerful custom chips (i.e. the sort of hardware that can throw tons of large sprites on the screen with little impact), along with a highly fragmented/poorly focused market strategy. Why would they care?

It's a real shame that western/european developers lacked the ability and desire to make great beat-em-ups.. Did they lack the secret sauce? Was it a cultural thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamielemon View Post
Scrolling fighters is one genre that the Amiga missed on out having a bona-fide classic, I think. It's a shame someone like the Bitmaps or Sensible didn't come up with an arcade-standard, Amiga-first take on the genre, to be honest. But maybe they thought the genre itself was too limited to begin with.
Yeah, true that, the scrolling beat-em-up formula never came to fruition despite the obvious talent floating about.

Last edited by lordofchaos; 18 January 2016 at 16:54. Reason: ineptitude
Old 18 January 2016, 16:45   #58
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Yeah, true that, the scrolling beat-em-up formula never game to fruition despite the obvious talent floating about.
I think it's the only genre we are truly lacking. I can even dig the 1x1 fighters like Shadow Fighter and Fightin Spirit, and deal with the ports of both MK games and Super Street Fighter.

But the Scrolling Beat'em up genre really suffers badly on amiga. Like it has been said, Golden Axe is the only one that goes beyond the mediocre bar, and it's still far from being great.
Old 18 January 2016, 17:19   #59
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Quote:
I think it's the only genre we are truly lacking. I can even dig the 1x1 fighters like Shadow Fighter and Fightin Spirit, and deal with the ports of both MK games and Super Street Fighter.

But the Scrolling Beat'em up genre really suffers badly on amiga. Like it has been said, Golden Axe is the only one that goes beyond the mediocre bar, and it's still far from being great.
Agreed!!!!!
Old 18 January 2016, 19:14   #60
Cedric

Shadow Warriors was also one of them...
AdSense AdSense