English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 August 2008, 12:39   #1
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Dodgy CD32 Games On eBay?

Lookie here:

http://video-games.search.ebay.co.uk...Znecromancer69

Anyone know who this guy is? Selling 'original Amiga CD-Roms' of games such as 'The Turrican Trilogy CD'. Hmmm. Basically these are copies and unofficial self-made compilations aren't they? Selling them for £5-8 quid is *just* a bit of a pisstake isn't it? Is it worth reporting him to eBay for selling counterfeit software?
Old 05 August 2008, 12:44   #2
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
Lookie here:

Anyone know who this guy is? Selling 'original Amiga CD-Roms' of games such as 'The Turrican Trilogy CD'. Hmmm. Basically these are copies and unofficial self-made compilations aren't they? Selling them for £5-8 quid is *just* a bit of a pisstake isn't it? Is it worth reporting him to eBay for selling counterfeit software?
I can't look at Ebay while at work - more's the pity because I have missed out on some bargains in the past

There are several people doing this sort of thing and most of them have a disclaimer on the page for Ebay stating that all these games are in the public domain and as such can be sold in this way

This does not only apply to Miggy games though - it applys to most stuff on fleabay

I guess it's up to us to only buy originals, only sell originals and not touch any other stuff!!!

Dave G
Old 05 August 2008, 13:12   #3
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
There are several people doing this sort of thing and most of them have a disclaimer on the page for Ebay stating that all these games are in the public domain and as such can be sold in this way
Well, I've decided to report him for selling the unofficial comps anyway (Turican, Shadow Of The Beast, etc). Hopefully he'll wise-up and remove the rest of his dodgy software too. People might think I'm a arse for doing this, but I search eBay daily for CD32 stuff and am getting pissed off with all his pirated wares filling my browser.

His disclaimer states that he sells original CD games in a generic DVD case. Yeah right! Highly unlikely, considering that these CD compilations never 'officially' existed in a licenced form!

If people want to try selling stuff like that, then they should clearly specify that they are home-made compilations, and never sell them for more than cost price IMO. I just worry about all the n00bz getting ripped off by this bastard... £6 +P&P for a CDR that he probably downloaded from the web or compiled himself in a few hours max?!
Old 05 August 2008, 13:20   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Or purchase all of his crappy CD's and don't pay him. He sells pirated stuff and can't report you to eBay. Since shortly all sellers can rate you positive only, at least here in Germany. Give him a fat negative then.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 05 August 2008 at 14:27.
Old 05 August 2008, 13:33   #5
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
Lookie here:

I've spotted these before and reported them to eBay. Nothing was done though

Put a warning about these in the marketplace a few months back too
Old 05 August 2008, 13:33   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Good idea Retro No really, people making money out of pirated material and espcially selling such crap as 'NEW' should be punished in some way. We could just report all his auctions. I guess that would piss him off a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I've spotted these before and reported them to eBay. Nothing was done though
They have done nothing? Damn fleabay
Old 05 August 2008, 13:35   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's more fun to rate him negative.
Old 05 August 2008, 14:22   #8
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

I was going to start a thread on this myself. eBay UK is flooded with these games. Amazingly, the culprit sellers hardly have any negative feedback.

The items all state something like "the original disc will be provided in a standard DVD case", which basically means you get a CD-R with a printed label (scanned from the original I imagine).

Given the lack of negative feedback, either (a) the discs look convincing, or (b) people don't care and are just glad to have the games.

Steve.
Old 05 August 2008, 14:26   #9
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
(b) people don't care and are just glad to have the games.
Spot on!

I have a slow connection, so purchased a TOSEC (Amiga) set on eBay simply out of convenience...bummed it didn't contain the ISOs though!

PZ.
Old 05 August 2008, 21:18   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

This is a reseller of those mega pirates in Swindon who go under the names of Butterfly Media, VDirect, Forematt, Epic Marketing etc. etc.

They are huge dropship pirates making millions each year, but neither their ISP's, EBay, Codemasters or anyone else seems interested.

They even tried to make a hollywood movie using the profits from this organisation. They do not try to hide who they are. Their names and addresses are on several of their websites.

Someone needs to report them to trading standards, the police, Federation against software theft etc.
Old 05 August 2008, 21:40   #11
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

The trouble is that they are not alone (where have I heard that before )

Any car boot market is full of pirated stuff. There are several of them near me and nobody does anything about it even though the goods are openly on sale.

Dave G
Old 05 August 2008, 21:40   #12
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Someone needs to report them to trading standards, the police, Federation against software theft etc.
What's stopping you from doing it, seeing as you know so much about them....?
Old 05 August 2008, 21:48   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

1) Who do you think reported them to their ISP's, Ebay Crimewatch and Codemasters?? None of which helped.

2) Last thing I want to do is talk to the Police or FAST
Old 06 August 2008, 09:19   #14
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Fair enough guvnor......

*cough*