English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 September 2013, 05:25   #1
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Ambermoon on Ebay

Today i was looking a Ebay just out of curiosity to see if there is still some Auctions of Ambermoon or Amberstar. But what i saw was just crazy. There were several auctions of Ambermoon but the prices were just crazy. Starting with 50€ it went up to 500€ for a sealed copy.
I just thought back to the time i bought some things on Ebay. Must have been around the year 2000 and at that time i payed about 5€ for a copy. And i have some of them^^

Now my question would be is this crazyness going on with Every Amiga title or was it just the moment i saw? I havent had a look at ebay for some years now so i really dont know how the prices developed.

So whats your opinion on this?
Old 05 September 2013, 05:32   #2
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
... is this crazyness going on with Every Amiga title or was it just the moment i saw?
Neither..
It's not every title and there are good deals still out there..
But there are a fair (not most, but..) amount of people selling (or trying to) Amiga games for really high prices...

Now, is that crazy? I suppose it depends on whether or not someone buys them. ;-)

desiv
Old 05 September 2013, 10:26   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I've got 30 sealed copies of Lethal Xcess, 10 of Wings of Death, 10 of Monster Business & Prehistorik (games by Eclipse who made the Wings of Death series) and perhaps 20 of Trex Warrior.

Woohoo I'm rich... ah bugger turns out no-one ever buys them...
Old 05 September 2013, 10:38   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Just opportunistic sellers waiting for some schmuck to buy. Costs nothing to put overpriced stock in the window.
Old 05 September 2013, 12:01   #5
Cpt. Hindsight

Not long ago, I bought Gunship! in a very good condition (not sealed) including a keyboard overlay for the Amiga 1000 (I guess) for 1 Euro.
You need a little bit of luck, but sometimes you can still make a bargain.
Old 05 September 2013, 12:20   #6
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Someone should come up with a sort of price guide for games to try and help us Amigans from being ripped off.

But I suppose that would take a lot of research and dedication and I know how people on here hate looking at old Amiga games on line

I'd love to know what my old collection is worth but by going on EBay you don't know whether the prices they are asking are reasonable or just chancers.

It does seem to be that the ones from the 80's do go for a lot more money than the later ones.

I'd like to know how much my old copy of Shadow of the Beast is worth but you just can't tell on E bay

(Long box, no Tshirt unfortunetly ok condition) Any thoughts?

not that I want to sell it.....
Old 05 September 2013, 12:25   #7
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
The HOL rarity stars can be both helpful and misleading... I often wonder how they are decided.
Old 05 September 2013, 12:51   #8
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
The HOL rarity stars can be both helpful and misleading... I often wonder how they are decided.

Made up probably

(waiting for a moderator or HOL team member to spring to the defence)
Old 05 September 2013, 13:00   #9
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post
Someone should come up with a sort of price guide for games to try and help us Amigans from being ripped off.
Based on which authority? It's all relative...
Old 05 September 2013, 13:15   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Rarity ratings (I won't touch them...) are mainly based on how many copies were made/sold. DrBong could probably shed some more light on it.

A price guide would be very subjective and in turn change the 'market' I'd say. One could only make averages from eBay and forum sale prices, but that would hardly reflect the value of a game/release.

Last edited by TCD; 05 September 2013 at 13:20.
Old 05 September 2013, 13:31   #11
Marcuz

exactly... moreover, if one is interested on a given item, hardly he will buy the first one he encounters, he will prolly research a bit around, and give himself a price range to the thing he would like to buy.
Old 05 September 2013, 13:57   #12
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Rarity ratings (I won't touch them...) are mainly based on how many copies were made/sold. DrBong could probably shed some more light on it.

A price guide would be very subjective and in turn change the 'market' I'd say. One could only make averages from eBay and forum sale prices, but that would hardly reflect the value of a game/release.
Yeah of course it would constantly change depending on the market and on who's paid what for what recently.

The value of items change all time it would be no different than an antique valuation. It all changes when the item is put up for auction and there are multiple parties bidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
exactly... moreover, if one is interested on a given item, hardly he will buy the first one he encounters, he will prolly research a bit around, and give himself a price range to the thing he would like to buy.
Yeah you'd hope people would shop around first but with so few copies of some games on sale it's difficult to gauge a fair price sometimes. which is where a guide would help them.

I very rich person once told me

"Something is only worth, what someone else is willing to pay for it"
Old 05 September 2013, 14:06   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I'd like to know how much my old copy of Shadow of the Beast is worth but you just can't tell on E bay (Long box, no Tshirt unfortunately ok condition) Any thoughts?
£5-10 unless it was absolutely mint condition but no more than £40?

Last edited by alexh; 05 September 2013 at 14:12. Reason: Make it a question rather than a statement
Old 05 September 2013, 14:16   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Yeah of course it would constantly change depending on the market and on who's paid what for what recently.

The value of items change all time it would be no different than an antique valuation. It all changes when the item is put up for auction and there are multiple parties bidding.
So... there's very little point in making a list and very much in having a look for the game you want to buy or sell It's basically just not worth the hassle and might be 'misinterpreted'
Old 05 September 2013, 14:29   #15
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
£5-10 unless it was absolutely mint condition but no more than £40?
Cheers!

But think it's worth more than that. (to me anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
So... there's very little point in making a list and very much in having a look for the game you want to buy or sell It's basically just not worth the hassle and might be 'misinterpreted'
It would only be a guide...

It would be really interesting to which games are worth the most other than Moonstone and GG Sisters that is.

I bet it's not just the games which are the rarest which go for the most, I'll bet the more popular the game is the more it will fetch too. Also I'l bet nice box art helps with the valuation.

Last edited by Rob 1; 05 September 2013 at 14:29. Reason: WTF?
Old 05 September 2013, 14:33   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

A guide for rarity would indeed be interesting We could gather sources for how many copies were sold for which game. I wouldn't base anything on eBay auctions though
Old 05 September 2013, 15:25   #17
Marcuz

Quote:
(to me anyway)
right to the point
Old 05 September 2013, 22:49   #18
jimbob

Hardware on ebay is the same story. Stuff sells all the time for semi reasonable "going rates" and then there are broken A1200 motherboards for £60+, apparently mega rare basic 500 bundles for £100+ and a certain well known seller who's had a blizzard mkII on sale for years at nearly £300.
Old 05 September 2013, 22:59   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The problem with eBay is that prices are 'impulsive'. You pay up to your 'pain limit' rather than what you'd really like to pay, because you think it'll never appear again. The real problem is that those inflated prices influence all over deals ('It went for <x> on eBay last month'). I've seen prices of bare A1200s double in the last 4 years and I don't think that half of the working ones have stopped working in that time. Another problem is that some sellers can afford to buy items and sit on them for years until a poor sod will finally pay for it.