English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 September 2004, 14:59   #1
jumb0

A2000 Possible HDD Problem

I have dragged out my old A2000HD (minus the HD component) and have tried to breathe some new life into it, however all I seem to be doing is .

It originally had a 1.3/2.04 Kickstart ROM (switchable) and worked without any drama's.

I managed to get hold of an A2091 SCSI controller with a v7.0 ROM. I also replaced my 68000 with a 68030/25 (cant remember the brand) and installed a Kickstart 3.1.

The problem I'm getting is I can put my WB 3.1 disks in and do a complete install. Using HDToolbox it also shows my SCSI cdrom drive ID at least. When I restart the Amiga it works sometimes. Most of the time when it reboots though I get an error saying it can't read various sectors. I've done this with various hard drives of varying sizes, 1GB -> 3.2GB and it does the same thing on all drives.

Also, when I do get to the Workbench 3.1 screen, there is no sign of the cd-rom, as I'm trying to install OS3.5. Even after launching the cd0: device driver.

I've tried 2 different A2091 cards and both do the same thing, so I'm figuring I've missed a step somewhere. I believe I have the SCSI chain correctly terminated and the HDD is set up as ID - 1 and the cd-rom as ID - 6. The HDD is the between the SCSI card and the cd-rom drive with the terminators installed on the cd-rom drive.

Would appreciate any ideas/suggestions and it's been almost 12 years since I used an Amiga extensively, so my knowledge of the Amiga isn't that great.

Regards.

Old 01 October 2004, 02:20   #2
gary

I haven't had the same problem as you but what I have done on my old machine to improve reliability is to power the hard drive directly from the power supply instead of using the power connector on the card.

Also try swapping the card to another slot (maybe there is a bad connector or something).
Old 01 October 2004, 05:39   #3
DoomMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumb0
I've tried 2 different A2091 cards and both do the same thing, so I'm figuring I've missed a step somewhere. I believe I have the SCSI chain correctly terminated and the HDD is set up as ID - 1 and the cd-rom as ID - 6. The HDD is the between the SCSI card and the cd-rom drive with the terminators installed on the cd-rom.
First of all, did you install a Kickstart 3.1 ROM?

When using a Commodore A2091 SCSI Controller board with your Amiga 2000 always set the SCSI ID of the Boot Hard Drive to 0. Set your CD Rom drive to 3. The A2091 should be Device 7. It reads from 0 to 7, NOT from 7 to 0. SCSI IDs 0 to 2 are for hard drives. SCSI IDs 3 and 4 are for CD Rom drives. And SCSI IDs 5 and 6 are for ZIP drives, Tape drives, and Scanners. If you are not using the external 25-pin SCSI port, make sure that the three terminating resistors are still soldered on the A2091 board. If you want to use the external SCSI connector, then those resistors must be removed. Also, make sure that your SCSI CD-Rom drive is NOT too fast. It should be 12X or LESS! 2 and 4 speed CD Rom drives are the best choice for use with an Amiga 2000 computer, but they are very hard to find now. I have five (5) Amiga 2000s and they all work great. So, when it comes to these computers, I do know what I am talking about. The Amiga 2000 is my favorite computer of all time.