kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
cool. is that superhighres interlace?
Yes it is, 1280x512, hehe

Quote:
something like this can be pretty neat and even usable on a tft;
Yes, Sorgelig has done a very good job making sure quite a few "weird" modes work well on the HDMI output

I will try if BBlank works, hohum...
Old 13 June 2018, 16:08   #622
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Yes it is, 1280x512, hehe
remember seeing it on mine once upon a time have almost regreted having installed voodoo
Old 17 June 2018, 21:04   #623
gururise

I agree Next Gen Amiga should be running on Next Gen (ie. current) hardware. Custom hardware computers are all dead, it would have to run on commodity hardware. That leaves us with two options:

1. AROS (Hosted seems to be the best option at the moment).
2. Emulation (ie. UAE + JIT) running Amiga OS 3.x

I am partial to option #2. Even emulation on a lowly Raspberry Pi 3 can get Amiga speeds in excess of the fastest Amiga 68060 hardware available, so perhaps Emulation is the way to go if we can get an updated AmigaOS 3.x stack.

WinUAE on a Modern PC can emulate an Amiga with enough power to run modern web browsers and applications. If we had an updated AmigaOS 3.9(?) with modern software, running WinUAE on top of it would provide a fairly speedy platform. Eventually, a lightweight Linux kernel + something like a modded FS-UAE that can run both 68k and x86 executables could be built into a standalone OS (sort of like the ill-fated Amithlon).

I would love to see a modded FS-UAE that could, in addition to running 68k software, run native x86 software without having to go through the JIT. Also native access to the devices, and you would have a machine running on native hardware that is insanely fast.

Last edited by gururise; 17 June 2018 at 21:19.
Old 17 June 2018, 21:20   #624
Pyromania

Apple stopped updating most of their Mac hardware so NG Amiga can finally catch up!

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/15...f-mac-updates/
Old 17 June 2018, 23:35   #625
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururise View Post
I would love to see a modded FS-UAE that could, in addition to running 68k software, run native x86 software without having to go through the JIT. Also native access to the devices, and you would have a machine running on native hardware that is insanely fast.
Although it can't run x86 software, I have a stripped-down linux install running FS-UAE at fastest possible with JIT enabled - it boots in about 30 seconds and runs everything I throw at it like a champ.

It's basically an extremely fast Amiga, and has breathed a lot of new life into my old Core i5 Laptop. This is basically what I wanted Amithlon to be, but firstly it's almost impossible to get running on a modern laptop and secondly the compatibility with games is almost non-existent without a second emulation layer on top of the main layer such as E-UAE.

Given that all I wanted was a fast Amiga, this has fulfilled all my needs. Massive HDD in there, all the WHDLoad/TOSEC archives installed and even internet access to Aminet.

Though for WHDLoad, you do have to disable JIT for a lot of titles but it's no big deal; running at full speed makes even the most demanding games run like a dream.

Heavenly.
Old 20 June 2018, 06:18   #626
kolla
Banned

I find it weirdly satisfying to run FS-UAE in full screen as desktop on DragonFlyBSD I wish I could get AROS hosted working.
Old 04 November 2018, 20:26   #627
swinkamor12
Banned

Next gen Amiga is interesting because it is not pc, it has seamless integration with 68k amiga software, 68k amiga software works faster than on uae on fast pc.
Commodity hardware - as long as aros or any other amiga os clone is not as good as win/lnx/osx is not an option.
Old 04 November 2018, 20:36   #628
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinkamor12 View Post
Next gen Amiga is interesting because it is not pc, it has seamless integration with 68k amiga software, 68k amiga software works faster than on uae on fast pc.
Commodity hardware - as long as aros or any other amiga os clone is not as good as win/lnx/osx is not an option.
For seamless integration with 68k software, you either have to be running a 68k or emulating one.

Which means that in order to beat "uae on fast pc" you would need a GHz-class 68k (which doesn't exist) or have a GHz-class x86/x64/ARM running... well some sort of emulator that's not UAE.

Can't argue with your second point though.