English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 February 2016, 22:20   #1
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Question Installation of Amigakit's SCSI to Micro SD card adapter

As stated before, I will be receiving an Amiga 3000 in the following days.

The unit is coming originally configured so that Workbench is the 49 MB Quantum SCSI, Work is the Maxtor internal SCSI mounted next to DF0: Internal Floppy and "HardDisk" is an external SCSI - Quantum mounted with Imation CD-R.

So I need help in figuring which will be the best way to install and configured. The idea is to make the SCSI mounted Micro SD card, the bootable unit, and to clone the configuration and information of the original 49MB in there.

I bought a 36" 50-pin SCSI 3-Connector Internal Flat Dual Ribbon Cable - Up To 2 Drives, thinking that it may be needed.

Could somebody please guide me through the process or point me in the direction I need to look to find this information?

I will create a separate thread to ask questions regarding a fresh installation of WB 3.9, to have a spare sd card ready.
Old 25 February 2016, 11:04   #2
Daedalus

SCSI is relatively straightforward, but it's also fussy about doing things correctly and seems to cause many headaches for people otherwise used to IDE, which is more tolerant. Generally speaking, the rules are:

- SCSI needs to be configured as a single chain - no T-branches, junctions or spurs.
- SCSI chains need to be terminated, and you need exactly two terminators on every chain, one at each physical end. No more, no less, no exceptions.
- Every device must have a unique ID, which is not related to physical position on the chain. Controllers themselves also count as a device, and usually (but not always) have the ID 7.
- Most SCSI devices have termination built in, so familiarise yourself with the jumpers on every device and ensure that one with termination enabled is at the very end of the chain. Being the last device on the chain isn't enough, it needs to be at the end of the cable as well. If you leave a loose cable end, it needs its own terminator there instead.

Now, I don't have a 3000 myself, but adding your new SCSI SD adaptor should be a simple matter of adding it to the internal chain. You'll need to decide which internal device is at the end of the new chain and therefore needs to be terminated - look at the jumpers of the SD adaptor and the existing drive. I'm a little confused by your description - is there only one drive mounted internally or two?

Anyway, once the adaptor is added to the chain and the termination is good, you should be able to boot it as before, use HDToolbox from the existing Workbench installation and create some partitions. Reboot and then you'll be able to format the partitions. Once you've got a partition formatted, simply copy all the contents from the original drive, mark the new partition as bootable in HDToolbox, remove the original hard drive and you should be done.

Installing OS3.9 should be straightforward once you're at that stage. You'll need to create an emergency boot floppy, boot from that and select a partition to install to. To be honest, this might be a better first move as support for larger hard drives (SD cards) is included.
Old 25 February 2016, 11:31   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You also need to take into account the size of the SD card and how much you want to use for the HD. The SCSI2SD comes preset at 2gb. Obviously if your SD card is smaller than that then you need to alter the size to match. Bigger than 2gb is not a problem unless you want to use more than 2gb, if so,then you will have to alter the size to match what you want.

SCSI3 cable? Is that 50 pin? The SCSI2sd card is SCSI 1 or 2.

Edit: Ah, I miss read the post. SCSI, 3 connector cable.
Old 25 February 2016, 17:48   #4
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
You also need to take into account the size of the SD card and how much you want to use for the HD. The SCSI2SD comes preset at 2gb. Obviously if your SD card is smaller than that then you need to alter the size to match. Bigger than 2gb is not a problem unless you want to use more than 2gb, if so,then you will have to alter the size to match what you want.

SCSI3 cable? Is that 50 pin? The SCSI2sd card is SCSI 1 or 2.

Edit: Ah, I miss read the post. SCSI, 3 connector cable.
Thank you very much for the answers.

So base on what you are saying: " unless you want to use more than 2gb, if so,then you will have to alter the size to match what you want." If I use say, a 16 GB card, how do I have to prepare it to be usable?
Old 25 February 2016, 18:27   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You need a micro usb cable and the software.

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/v4.6/

Connect the SCSI2SD card to the PC and use scsi2sd-util.exe to alter the settings.

The other exe monitor.exe just checks that the SCSI2SD card is connected and working.

If you feel comfortable doing it then the firmware needs upgrading to 4.6 (It may already be upgraded, but mine came with 4.4)
Old 25 February 2016, 21:38   #6
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
You need a micro usb cable and the software.

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/v4.6/

Connect the SCSI2SD card to the PC and use scsi2sd-util.exe to alter the settings.

The other exe monitor.exe just checks that the SCSI2SD card is connected and working.

If you feel comfortable doing it then the firmware needs upgrading to 4.6 (It may already be upgraded, but mine came with 4.4)
I'm assuming that my SCSI2SD micro sd adapter is coming ready for installation since I bought from Amigakit. Am I wrong?

This is the description: (BTW, it came with a floppy which I haven't explore yet, since I haven't received my A3000 yet)
SCSI II to Micro SD Adapter

Features a 50 pin SCSI II connector.

Connects to a SCSI interface card and permits access to a micro SD card as a fixed storage device.

Also compatible with A590 SCSI hard disk controller and GVP a500-hd+ Impact II for the Amiga 500.

Read/Write speeds achievable to a maximum of 2.5Mb/sec (approximately). Supports asynchronous transfers only.

Board dimensions: 10 x 5 x 1.5 cm
Old 26 February 2016, 21:43   #7
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiXing3D View Post
I'm assuming that my SCSI2SD micro sd adapter is coming ready for installation since I bought from Amigakit. Am I wrong?
All I can say is that I bought mine from Amigakit without a SD card. No floppy, I downloaded the software from the net.

If you have ordered with a SD card, then it may come preconfigured. You will have to ask Amigakit to confirm this.
Old 26 February 2016, 22:32   #8
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
All I can say is that I bought mine from Amigakit without a SD card. No floppy, I downloaded the software from the net.

If you have ordered with a SD card, then it may come preconfigured. You will have to ask Amigakit to confirm this.
I bought from Amigakit without micro SD card. I also bought another similar card, generic from a computer vendor in Singapore; that one came with a 4 GB card. The latter, is the one I was able to connect to my PC and do the firmware update to v4.6. And this is also the card in which I can't change the space in Device 1 settings (utilities.exe)
Old 26 February 2016, 23:32   #9
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I can't really comment on the generic card. When you say you can't change the space, do you mean the settings are greyed out or it doesn't save the changes?

The one from Amigakit will be configured to 2gb (default) and if you want to use more, then it will need changing.
Old 27 February 2016, 02:59   #10
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
I can't really comment on the generic card. When you say you can't change the space, do you mean the settings are greyed out or it doesn't save the changes?

The one from Amigakit will be configured to 2gb (default) and if you want to use more, then it will need changing.
It doesn't save the changes.
Old 27 February 2016, 12:36   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I know this sounds stupid but, did you load the config from the SD card first, before you altered it and saved it.
Old 27 February 2016, 18:51   #12
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
I know this sounds stupid but, did you load the config from the SD card first, before you altered it and saved it.
@Arnie

It was that indeed....doah...The seller sent me a link to a video that shows exactly what you are saying, and that I was not doing...loading the config first. [ Show youtube player ]

Thanks a lot.
Old 28 February 2016, 13:33   #13
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiXing3D View Post
@Arnie

It was that indeed....doah...The seller sent me a link to a video that shows exactly what you are saying, and that I was not doing...loading the config first. [ Show youtube player ]

Thanks a lot.
NP, I've done it myself