English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 May 2002, 13:52   #1
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Question AmigaOne

Looks intresting but also expensive, but whats bugging me is where does it plug into?

also do you need a PPC board to go with it? and if I am to get one (if its not stupidly expensive) is it still worth getting a 4-way IDE connector?

Any relese date set either?
Old 11 May 2002, 19:27   #2
blackcornflake

The AmigaOne is in effect a standalone computer. It is designed and manufactured by Eyetech. The first lot produced will feature a soldered on G3 @ 600MHz. So no PPC required! Following design revisions from Eyetech, it will connect to the edge connector on the A1200 via an add-on bridge and ribbon connector.

The thinking behind it is quite unusual - it can be looked at as an expansion for the A1200, giving access to G3 power and new ports (AGP, USB, PS2, etc.); it can also be looked at the other way round: the AmigaOne now IS your Amiga, running OS4, and the A1200 mobo is the add-on card, giving access to Amiga custom chips (Paula etc.), which will always be required for some applications which access them directly.

The Eyetech AmigaOne is just one of several parallel developments (none of which have appeared yet), which purport to be 'nextgen' Amigas, i.e. capable of running OS4.

The AmigaOne board will hog the space required for one of the existing PCI solutions (Mediator etc.), thus rendering that obsolete. But for Mediator owners (i.e. me!), the combination of Mediator and SharkPPC will in theory be more or less equivalent to the Eyetech AmigaOne. I hope!

The Eyetech AmigaOne Webpages carry information about availability.
Old 11 May 2002, 19:42   #3
Amiga1992

Hmm.. I have seen the SharkPPC announced for even longer than the AmigaOne.. is it ever going to be released?
Old 11 May 2002, 19:58   #4
blackcornflake

I think the delay is at Amiga Inc's/Hyperion's end, with AmigaOS4.
Old 11 May 2002, 20:45   #5
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Hmm.. I have seen the SharkPPC announced for even longer than the AmigaOne.. is it ever going to be released?
There was one Prototype shown, but most people think it was a fake, cause it looked exactly like a PPC CPU Upgrade Card from an old Mac I surely hope it will be released, cause then all A1200 with PCI Board can use PPC Power and OS 4.0 without buying a complete new computer
Old 12 May 2002, 04:47   #6
Amiga1992

There I see, again, Amiga Inc's lack of interest in the Amiga community It's really STUPID having to buy a whole new computer to run AmigaOS 4!

let's hope that thing gets released for those freaks out there with such hotrodded Amigas