English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 31 March 2016, 19:26   #1
StingerHU

Lightbulb Amiga 500 European box size because of reproduction

Guys, I started to work on reproducing Amiga 500 European version carton/cardboard box - including the inlays. I found a packaging company who can produce this box based on a vectorised design in small quantity. The project is 100% homebrew & non-commercial. I decided to doing it by myself because nowadays it's almost impossible to get the original box in immaculate condition. (which is understandably, we're talking about a 30 years old machine).

The chosen Box type is the stardard European version (this one: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._box_angle.jpg ) but will be manufactured from a better white cardboard box material in this format: http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/af6780f917...80s-bn9hma.jpg

Could please somebody upload the measurements of the original box? The better would be a flat to know the very prompt size in millimeters.

The box type will be 0427 version of FEFCO catalogue from white cardboard box - each side will be printed with the same logo, picture like the original. (you can find FEFCO catalogue here: http://dobozgyartas.eu/FEFCO_ESBO_code_of_designs2.pdf Logos, font type and front picture is available from the internet (or i'll take a picture from the same angle as a workaround solution), and I can do the afterwork in Illustrator to get the best quality picture.

Thanks for helping me on this, of course once I finished, I'm happy to share the final design with EAB members in vector phase to let anybody to replace the old and scummy boxes.
Old 31 March 2016, 21:40   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

I have my A500 box handy. I'll get some measurements data regarding the outer box prepared for you ASAP.

I'm assuming that you need measurements of the outer box only at this stage, but I will be able to measure such inlays as came with the box as well when they are required.

Edit: I can take some photos of the box too, if you wish, but it is rather tatty, unfortunately.

Last edited by prowler; 31 March 2016 at 22:36.
Old 02 April 2016, 12:28   #3
StingerHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have my A500 box handy. I'll get some measurements data regarding the outer box prepared for you ASAP.

I'm assuming that you need measurements of the outer box only at this stage, but I will be able to measure such inlays as came with the box as well when they are required.

Edit: I can take some photos of the box too, if you wish, but it is rather tatty, unfortunately.
Sorry, I was busy yesterday. Yes, thanks - it is a great help if you can provide me these measures (outer box & inlay). The guy at the printbox company told me, it's no make sense to split the work between the outer box & inlays so we can do it in parallel.

I've plans to create the basic template on this weekend, because I need to provide them to the manufacturer for the 1st prototype next week.
Old 02 April 2016, 23:23   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerHU View Post
Sorry, I was busy yesterday. Yes, thanks - it is a great help if you can provide me these measures (outer box & inlay). The guy at the printbox company told me, it's no make sense to split the work between the outer box & inlays so we can do it in parallel.

I've plans to create the basic template on this weekend, because I need to provide them to the manufacturer for the 1st prototype next week.
Okay, I'll try to get the measurements done for you tomorrow (I've been busy for most of today).
Old 04 April 2016, 17:19   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

I finally got this done at about 3am this morning!

The outer box is constructed with 2mm thick corrugated cardboard with the corrugation channels running from side to side. The outside of the box is white and the inside is manilla. The top front of the box is at the top of the drawing and the bottom front of the box is at the bottom.

There is a splitin the box between the two holes which accept the carrying handle. However, this area is reinforced on the inside with 200mm x 60mm x 2mm thick, dense cardboard with each hole 2mm longer, but on the same centres.

The inlay is inserted into the box on the left hand side.

All dimensions are in millimetres.

I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A500Box.zip (244.8 KB, 1003 views)
File Type: zip A500Inlay.zip (280.5 KB, 799 views)
Old 06 April 2016, 10:30   #6
StingerHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I finally got this done at about 3am this morning!

The outer box is constructed with 2mm thick corrugated cardboard with the corrugation channels running from side to side. The outside of the box is white and the inside is manilla. The top front of the box is at the top of the drawing and the bottom front of the box is at the bottom.

There is a splitin the box between the two holes which accept the carrying handle. However, this area is reinforced on the inside with 200mm x 60mm x 2mm thick, dense cardboard with each hole 2mm longer, but on the same centres.

The inlay is inserted into the box on the left hand side.

All dimensions are in millimetres.

I hope this helps.
Excellent, thank you ! I'll let you know once I have a progress with the manufacturer
Old 06 April 2016, 23:34   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

In the meantime, if you need anything else, just ask.
Old 06 August 2016, 16:14   #8
TommyE

Hello

Came across this thread, wondering if there are any possibilities of ordering boxes from you?

Regards
Tommy
Old 25 August 2016, 21:06   #9
ComradePaulT

I am also interested in this

Old 05 October 2016, 16:42   #10
StingerHU

guys,

sorry for the long quiet but it was a hard to survive the summer (moving w/ girlfriend, flat renovation, etc.) but finally I'm able to continue the work on this project.

I'm still in design phase - my biggest concern is the main art itself on the center of the box. For the best similarity, I need the pantone codes for the colours - but it seems this is almost impossible to get. So now I'm trying to play with the internet pictures or what I got from others to match with the best angle and colours.

I decided to create the box from a more flexible and stronger 5layer cardboard matte white outside - already have the sizes only graphics need to finalized.

Moreover, we found a good styrofoam to replace the original polystirol - this can be cutted with machines and because of strongevity, it will does not deform in a case of longer storage as well.

If you would like to help me, I welcome everything - now I need high-res pictures about the classic Amiga 500 box from front without changing the angle.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by StingerHU; 15 June 2018 at 19:14.
Old 05 October 2016, 21:38   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerHU View Post
If you would like to help me, I welcome everything - now I need high-res pictures about the classic Amiga 500 box from front without changing the angle.
I opened up and flattened my classic Amiga 500 box to get the measurements and make the drawings I submitted above.

So I can make high-res pictures of the box (front, back, top, bottom and sides - whatever is required).

However, the box has become rather tatty with passing time, so the images will likely need restoring before they are useful to you.

If fellow EAB Global Moderator DH is reading this thread, he may offer to restore the pictures for you (in the same way he restored my Amiga 1200 Magic Pack box photos) if they are good enough and he's not too busy at the moment.

Anyway, please let me know more specifically what you require so I can upload a few test shots.

Last edited by prowler; 05 October 2016 at 21:41. Reason: Added link.
Old 07 October 2016, 17:11   #12
StingerHU

Maybe we can use a render instead of making a tatty picture...

http://dh1.amigaspirit.hu/amiga500.jpg
Old 07 October 2016, 21:47   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

It's your call.
Old 15 January 2017, 12:19   #14
StingerHU

Thumbs up

Guys, I know that it was a slow project but finally, I finished the graphical planning for the final product. (Main box with the small non-graphic inlay)
In parallel, I ordered the plastic handle.

Last edited by StingerHU; 15 June 2018 at 19:09.
Old 16 January 2017, 00:05   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Great job!
Old 16 January 2017, 20:30   #16
TommyE

Nice Any chance of having UK keyboard layout instead of German? (hoping I donĀ“t step on anyones toes here )

Is there a approx. price for the box?

Regards
Tommy
Old 16 January 2017, 22:30   #17
majsta
www.majsta.com

Awesome work
Old 17 January 2017, 21:13   #18
StingerHU

Thanks. TommyE - not really.

Last edited by StingerHU; 15 June 2018 at 19:08.
Old 17 January 2017, 23:45   #19
liviux76

well done!
Old 18 January 2017, 00:33   #20
DamienD
Banned

Yeah, agree with all posts of praise. Looks very professional indeed