English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 November 2018, 10:31   #181
roondar

My problem with the CD32 (back in '93/'94) can be summed up in one sentence: I'd much rather have an A1200. Was actually saving up for an A1200 when Commodore went bankrupt

Though the Amiga press certainly didn't help matters by constantly hyping people about the next much better thing Commodore would surely be releasing any day now - even right as the CD32 was released. Good way to keep people from wanting one, for sure.

My problem with the video could be summed up as: meh, he was mostly right about the system but he sure did try his very best to showcase some of the worst stuff on the system. Oh and I turn out not to like the "let's swear for comedic effect" shtick he's got going.
Old 30 November 2018, 10:50   #182
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Though the Amiga press certainly didn't help matters by constantly hyping people about the next much better thing Commodore would surely be releasing any day now - even right as the CD32 was released. Good way to keep people from wanting one, for sure.

My problem with the video could be summed up as: meh, he was mostly right about the system but he sure did try his very best to showcase some of the worst stuff on the system. Oh and I turn out not to like the "let's swear for comedic effect" shtick he's got going.
Exactly, the whole "multiple models" thing I mentioned: why Commodore didn't just spend that money on R&D is a mystery, when the current A500 was selling well enough. Or maybe this is from the American perspective?

And as for the swearing, most people aren't bothered by it and actually find it funny, and after all... he is ANGRY.
Old 30 November 2018, 12:23   #183
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
My problem with the CD32 (back in '93/'94) can be summed up in one sentence: I'd much rather have an A1200. Was actually saving up for an A1200 when Commodore went bankrupt

Not only the Amiga press,

in april 1994, the very month of C= demise, but they did'nt knew that by the time the interview was made, David Pleasance gave an interview to french magazine Joystick.

When asked if the CD32 was selling as expeted by C=, his answer was "No"
=> Go buy a CD32 after hearing that the console don't sells like it was expected.

When asked when will be released the CD1200 his answer was "Why do you want to add a CD drive to an A1200 ? Just buy a CD32 instead. Besides, there is some problem about adding a CD drive to the A1200.
=> Go buy an A1200 after hearing that there is a possibility that the CD drive won't be released (everybody was craving to add a CD drive to their machine)

When asked about rumors concerning a port of Rebel Assault on the CD32 (possibly one of the most anticipated game at that time) his answer was "I can assure you that this is not true"*

=> He was right indeed, but how can react people when the very manager of Commodore tells you that one of the most anticipated game of that era won't be coming on the CD32 ?.

For french readers, the magazine (and the interview wasn't an april joke : http://www.abandonware-magazines.org...=598&album=oui
Old 01 December 2018, 02:03   #184
d4rk3lf

@Sokolovic

Man, that sounds crazy.
Imagine if today, some seller says something like that - he would get fired, before finishing interview.
Then again, this show us, how much relaxed times were back then.

I guess, after this interview, companies started with those silly, new employers, stupid interview questions: What is your best quality? What is your worst habit? Would you stay with the company when we need you, or you will just leave us, if your baby needs some milk (I exaggerated, I know, but that is the ultimate question, if you swipe all this hypocrisy stuff )?

I remember when I got some interview for the job (on the Skype), and chick just asked me, something like: "You are a fascinating person. So, what can you say for yourself that would fascinate me"?
I expected that kind of question (well, not that stupid, but... )... first, I disregarded "you are a fascinating man"... it must be they say to all interviewers, aren't they? Then it was very funny to me, but I try to stay serious. Then I say all serious: "From where I come, these questions are rude. So, I am to adore myself, and tell you that? If I'd ask for your qualities, I would ask opinions of your friends, not you. So, if anything interest you about my "best abilities", better ask someone that worked with me, not me".
I didn't get a job.
But then again, didn't expecting it... it was just fun that interview...
Old 01 December 2018, 16:19   #185
spiff
Oh noes!

• We'd been playing street fighter 2 on the snes for ~2 years by then.
  • Its ~ 6 months after Lucas arts awesome day of the tentacle (that didn't get an amiga port)
  • Doom came out on shareware and pc gaming exploded over here. (Gloom, go AKIKO!)

... Then the CD32 "console" arrives, struggles to even do parallax scrolling with more than 8 colors 50/60 fps.. at a price point of a Neo-Geo. His review was more positive than my friends upon seeing the CD32.

I love mine for the nostalgia and running the planet side demo though

Last edited by spiff; 01 December 2018 at 16:26.
Old 01 December 2018, 23:28   #186
Foebane
Banned

PC technology marched FAST in the mid-to-late 1990s, that's for sure:

1993 - CD32 is launched, in a market dominated by the SNES and MegaDrive, Doom is released
1994 - Doom 2 is released, Commodore dies
1995 - PlayStation is launched and proceeds to wipe away all competition
1996 - Quake is released, Amiga conversion is by a third party
1997 - Quake 2 is launched, and is possibly the last 1990s FPS to be converted to Amiga
1998 - Unreal and Half-Life are released and are gameplay and graphics milestones, and they are impossible for Amiga to run, and even the Atari Falcon struggles with Half-Life
1999 - Quake 3 Arena, one of the first games for 3D cards only, is launched

I am talking from my own experience of these games, but the competition surged ahead at high speed and left Amiga behind in the dust. I was glad to have gotten my first PC in February 1995, that's for sure. I was just in time for this golden age of PC gaming.
Old 01 December 2018, 23:34   #187
AMIGASYSTEM

This happened only because the Commodore failed and with it the development stopped.

However Quake3 now works well also on OS3 (On-line/Off-line)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 December 2018, 23:36   #188
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

That video was hard to watch. It might be the OCD in me, but I can't stand watching retro hardware handled roughly, regardless of whether you hate them or not.
Old 01 December 2018, 23:42   #189
AMIGASYSTEM

The Quake engine has been corrected now it's much smoother, but this was just to demonstrate the potential of good old AMiGA OS, try doing the same thing with Windows 3.1
Old 02 December 2018, 00:22   #190
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
This happened only because the Commodore failed and with it the development stopped.

However Quake3 now works well also on OS3 (On-line/Off-line)

[ Show youtube player ]
This looks like PPC/RTG to me, rather than native AGA. I can understand that, but I would never get a PPC Amiga, just go for PC instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
The Quake engine has been corrected now it's much smoother, but this was just to demonstrate the potential of good old AMiGA OS, try doing the same thing with Windows 3.1
That's why MS-DOS was better for running Quake. No-one seriously used Windows 3.1 for games, except maybe Solitaire
Old 05 December 2018, 20:53   #191
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Follow up:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 December 2018, 21:45   #192
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Oh no. He bloody destroys the poor thing at the end with a fookin' flame thrower!! LMFAO!
Old 05 December 2018, 21:45   #193
Marle
Pixel Vixen

That CDTV game seems to make the Zelda games for the CDi look like majestic works of art and masterful gameplay.

Oh and worrying about that CD32's fate in the bin? Well don't watch this video, it doesn't end well for it...
Old 05 December 2018, 22:00   #194
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am really surprised that by 2018 people still believe AVGN videos are serious, that he really is "destroing" his hardware, or actually throwing it on the bin, or that he is trying to be informative or serious.

I think his first episodes he was even trying to talk a bit about gameplay and stuff, but very early he got more into making fun than actually describing the games.

And he is acting. This is a role.
Old 05 December 2018, 22:44   #195
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Oh no. He bloody destroys the poor thing at the end with a fookin' flame thrower!! LMFAO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marle View Post
That CDTV game seems to make the Zelda games for the CDi look like majestic works of art and masterful gameplay.

Oh and worrying about that CD32's fate in the bin? Well don't watch this video, it doesn't end well for it...
He didn't destroy a whole CD32, just the outer plastic shell... look at the paint can after he douses the flames, there's no way the RF shielding and PCB are in there. In any case, it's the same case he threw in the dumpster in the previous video, complete with white Commodore logo.

And to be honest, this time, I don't blame the nerd for doing what he did: (The) Town With No Name is so cheesy in terms of animations, graphics and dialogue that it deserves to be treated this way. I doubt those 3D animations are actual polygon renderings, but streamed animations.
Old 06 December 2018, 00:08   #196
tpgb12

Yeah, Town With No Name's movies are Deluxe Paint animation files (.anim). They're completely loaded into RAM before playback and not actually streamed, though. If they were streamed, you couldn't have the CD audio voices at the same time. I think most, if not all, of the still images use HAM mode.
Old 06 December 2018, 08:39   #197
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
He should play Psycho killer instead

At least, he burnt CD32 case, not a CDTV. Both machines are crap, but I like CDTV more.
Old 06 December 2018, 10:23   #198
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpgb12 View Post
Yeah, Town With No Name's movies are Deluxe Paint animation files (.anim). They're completely loaded into RAM before playback and not actually streamed, though. If they were streamed, you couldn't have the CD audio voices at the same time. I think most, if not all, of the still images use HAM mode.
They're animations? Then why do they use the most rudimentary 3D solid-filled polygons? I thought they were drawn in real-time, that's how primitive they look! Couldn't they have textured them at least? Or would it have exploded the file size?
Old 06 December 2018, 10:30   #199
Gordon
Settler

Please can we let this thread diie? It makes me angry everytime I am reminded of it.
Old 06 December 2018, 10:59   #200
Mick

You can do what he did with any console, even the best ones that history has to offer. People can argue here about whether CD32 was good or not after taking all factors into account but it's still a total misrepresentation to focus on the worst games and judge a console solely on that.