English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 December 2016, 13:46   #81
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Rather than using the SCSI.device in the CDTV ROM, you put the driver in Sys:Expansion and binddrivers loads the driver and makes the SCSI work. Which works with the Vampire.

This is similar to how if you had an A2091 and it had old ROMS on it. If you couldn't burn a new ROM then you could disable the old ROM on the A2091 and put the newer one in sys:expansion and binddrivers would load the driver instead of using the one on the ROM.
I never owned a big box Amiga so that's why I didn't understand what you meant. Thanks for the clarification though, very informative.

So, if I now understand correctly, you need a bootable media to enable and mount the SCSI HD using the Vampire on the CDTV?

What about the CD, can that be made to work outside of the on board scsi.device?
Old 11 December 2016, 14:11   #82
Omolungo

@ Majista

I'm interested in CDTV support, espressed interest in purchasing V500+ only for this (my CDTV). Please
Old 11 December 2016, 14:53   #83
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
To rewrite core to support this is easy. Only I don't have CDTV, some people offered me to give it for the test purpose but I just don't have the time for that now, in the other hand I have no idea how much people is interested into this, maybe only few I think.
I don't think so, I suppose a lot of people would be interested, CDTV is the only Amiga WITHOUT accelerators available.

Any accelerator existing for CDTV, this is cruel
Old 11 December 2016, 14:54   #84
utri007
mä vaan

I'm only interested for Vampire if it works with CDTV. I thought to buy it when price was only 150€ just in case, but 300€ is too much for something wich I might never has any use.

CDTV is most beautifull Amiga ever produced.
Old 11 December 2016, 14:57   #85
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post

CDTV is most beautifull Amiga ever produced.
You're absolutely right!
Old 11 December 2016, 21:11   #86
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I never owned a big box Amiga so that's why I didn't understand what you meant. Thanks for the clarification though, very informative.

So, if I now understand correctly, you need a bootable media to enable and mount the SCSI HD using the Vampire on the CDTV?

What about the CD, can that be made to work outside of the on board scsi.device?
Yes, but the V500 has the IDE controller on it, and currently it is about 20x as fast as the CDTV SCSI (seriously), but that could be due to hdd mask issues or something else. In best case we'd not expect the CDTV SCSI to be more than a meg or two per second, maybe the latter if you set the CDTV SCSI to 14MHz mode.

I haven't been able to make the CD work yet. The CDTV drive is really odd, it has the CDfilesystem (cdfs.library) in ROM and has all these other dependencies and right now I'm not sure what's not working. Using the killcd0 package on Aminet should work which has normal mountlists but the new CD0 just says Not a DOS volume, however if I try to format it, I can see it accessing the CD and reporting the drive is write protected, as it should.

With this package: http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/CDTVTools
The CDTV CD audio player is working in Workbench and it plays audio just fine. Also the CDTV prefs to set the time/interlace mode etc.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 11 December 2016 at 21:21. Reason: more info
Old 11 December 2016, 21:18   #87
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omolungo View Post
I don't think so, I suppose a lot of people would be interested, CDTV is the only Amiga WITHOUT accelerators available.

Any accelerator existing for CDTV, this is cruel
People have used the Derringer and the Viper 530 among others in the CDTV but these are very rare and expensive nowadays.

Like I said upthread, an A570 for the A500 would be enough for someone to get the CDTV working, it has the same ROMs, if someone has one of these they are not using and someone on the team had some time it could be done.
Old 11 December 2016, 21:21   #88
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Yeah, the CD drive is an odd one. I wonder if you could use an IDE CD drive and somehow emulate the CDTV software like the CD32 emulation for the A1200.

I'm also wondering if the A570 CD drive will work on an A500 with a Vampire.
Old 11 December 2016, 22:11   #89
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Yeah, the CD drive is an odd one. I wonder if you could use an IDE CD drive and somehow emulate the CDTV software like the CD32 emulation for the A1200.

I'm also wondering if the A570 CD drive will work on an A500 with a Vampire.
Yes from what I understand the IDEFix has CDTV emulation, it works with at least a few CDs.

The A570 should act almost exactly the same as the CDTV with Vampire. It has the same DMAC chip and the same ROM. That's why I said it might be a good platform to fix the CDTV issue, as shipping one would be a lot cheaper than shipping a whole CDTV.
Old 12 December 2016, 01:12   #90
bubbob42

@majsta: I expressed interest in the Vampire just to put it into a CDTV, so - yes!
Old 12 December 2016, 05:55   #91
snoopy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
We all cried - figuratively - when Commodore folded in 1994 and many of us yearned for a reboot, a renaissance, a resurgence, a comeback with a vengeance. It never happened. But, now, in the mid 2010's, maybe we're in the verge of seeing something of the sort...
My gut feeling is that won't happen. Among the people who use the Amiga I suspect most use it to rekindle the old memories rather than hoping it will someday be competitive again.

I think there is lots of people who do hope for a renaissance, but I think it is a pretty small group.

If anything the fact that the Commodore did have a fairly sudden death has perhaps helped make it the collectors machine it is today. Imagine if Commodore was still in business and pumping out 3ghz A9000's? Would those Amiga 500's and the 20 years of later machines that would have existed be worth anything more or be any more desirable than an old PC?
Old 12 December 2016, 12:14   #92
wawa

a 3ghz amiga might prove to bhe a bit laughable, while people would start to expect contemporary features with it and then notice all they can do with it is run 20 years software plus some minor sdl ports at the risk that some random bug brings the whole system down, along with some unsaved work.

i think we shouldnt demand too much. there are already amigalike system running on gigahertz machines. we know how they prosper. vampire fits nicely into the gap. maybe some sort of development that justifies an asic one day will take off. but it isnt thecase for now so first things first.
Old 12 December 2016, 14:28   #93
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy77 View Post
My gut feeling is that won't happen. Among the people who use the Amiga I suspect most use it to rekindle the old memories rather than hoping it will someday be competitive again.
My gut feeling also says the same thing. Even if the Apollo Team, or any other similar team, chucks out a complete-set New Amiga, it will only sell to us: hobbyists. Much like the X1000, the MiST, etc. Only hobbyists buy them (much like it was in the beginning of the microcomputer revolution. Only hobbyists bought them). I was never expecting the Amiga to become mainstream again. It just won't happen. What I wanted, though, was to see it evolve. To be in fluid evolution rather than being stagnant. The whole add-on cards are excellent products and do just that (allow for innovation and evolution) but are original-hardware dependants which, as I said before, is a no-exit road. A full system, 100% Amiga 68k compatible (OCS, ECS & AGA) with modern amenities such as SDD, USB and HDMI would revitalize the Amiga brand and push it forward at least another 30 years (which would make it 30+30=60 years for the Amiga lifespan, more than half a century). I don't know about you, but I would definitely fork up to 700€ to buy an all-new, all-modern Amiga with all the aforementioned qualities plus extra specs (68080 or whatever you want to call it, as long as 100% compatibility was maintained). It would not replace my original Amigas, which are sacred and irreplaceable, but it would allow me to think that even when those originals die out (oh, they will. nothing lasts forever), my amigaism could live on through the FPGA descendants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy77 View Post
I think there is lots of people who do hope for a renaissance, but I think it is a pretty small group.

If anything the fact that the Commodore did have a fairly sudden death has perhaps helped make it the collectors machine it is today. Imagine if Commodore was still in business and pumping out 3ghz A9000's? Would those Amiga 500's and the 20 years of later machines that would have existed be worth anything more or be any more desirable than an old PC?
It's not so much a hope (if you read my previous comment carefully, you'll see that I don't think it will materialize) but rather a wish. I do wish the Amiga would live on. All-in-all, what I don't want to see is the Amiga die out. Maybe because that confronts me with my own death, perhaps? But let's not over-analise things. I agree that the Amiga's current status is, in part, due to its abrupt end. Similar to the effect of being unexpectedly dumped by a girlfriend you loved very much, it left an indelible mark on our minds and enhanced the idealization. Moreover, just like the PCs and the Macs, if the Amiga platform hadn't died, it would have since now morphed into something else altogether and - more than probably - the 68k legacy software would only be runnable via emulation (like DOS titles on current 64bit OS).
What I spoke of was something different (hence why I said that 100% compatibility with OCS/AGA machines was a must): basically it was to make an all-new (as in: without old components) Amiga, with all the new bells and whistles but with the basic core of an old Amiga. Basically, do what the Vampire 2 does with an old Amiga but without the need for an old Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
a 3ghz amiga might prove to bhe a bit laughable, while people would start to expect contemporary features with it and then notice all they can do with it is run 20 years software plus some minor sdl ports at the risk that some random bug brings the whole system down, along with some unsaved work.

i think we shouldnt demand too much. there are already amigalike system running on gigahertz machines. we know how they prosper. vampire fits nicely into the gap. maybe some sort of development that justifies an asic one day will take off. but it isnt thecase for now so first things first.
Granted. We shouldn't ask for too much. After all, we all have PCs or Macs for all our work-related business. Some people have even gone beyond that and use their tablets or even smartphones, bypassing computers altogether. We don't need anything else to compete with that. What I think we need, though, is to keep amigaism alive. And with static, frozen, 80-90's technology, we won't achieve that. Some of our members are savvy enough to be pouring out excellent add-on cards that allow our beloved Amigas to transcend themselves and become something else, something more, while still being - at heart - what they always have been. My proposition was to continue this trend but to make an "Amiga" from the grounds up, via FPGA, to allow it to release itself from the boundaries of the old-hardware. It would not be a real Amiga but an "Amiga" nonetheless. Wouldn't have an Amiga shell, but would propagate the amiga Ghost (yes, a purposely Ghost in the Shell reference).

I have a sense that we all think and believe the same things but maybe our time-scales aren't the same. I'm looking at the distant future, not into the next 5 to 10 years.

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 15 December 2016 at 20:28. Reason: typos fixing
Old 20 December 2016, 17:14   #94
Sinphaltimus

Kipper? Should I be checking my inbox everyday several times a day or should I wait a month or so. I don't want to miss the email for payment and lose my slot. I want to pay now.

Um, yeah. I'm excited.
Old 19 March 2017, 20:17   #95
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Physically it will fit with adapter, core would need to be done to get full CDTV capabilities
Any news about the adapter for CDTV?

I just received from Apollo Team an update to my pre-order, with request of paying my V500 V2+

I know anything has been still done about the core copatibility with CDTV, but maybe in a next future...
Old 19 March 2017, 21:25   #96
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

For CDTV you need a custom ROM image that hasn't been created yet. Otherwise you could use a V500+.
Old 25 March 2017, 20:43   #97
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
For CDTV you need a custom ROM image that hasn't been created yet. Otherwise you could use a V500+.
I really hope so, my V500 V2+ has been shipped
Old 26 March 2017, 15:18   #98
kolla
Banned

I don't think a custom ROM is needed unless you explicitly need to boot from CD or use the CDDA player on the extended ROM. Anyways, I too have a CDTV and will try it out
Old 27 March 2017, 02:13   #99
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I don't think a custom ROM is needed unless you explicitly need to boot from CD or use the CDDA player on the extended ROM. Anyways, I too have a CDTV and will try it out
Nothing has changed in this regard, the CD drive still doesn't work to read data CDs. It does however work to use the Workbench version of the CD-Audio player.
Old 27 March 2017, 08:55   #100
kolla
Banned

I guess one can also replace the CD drive with something more modern and connect it to the the IDE port on the Vampire. In any case, lacking CD drive is not big issue for me at least.