English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 September 2015, 00:15   #1
-Acid-

Help setting up a large drive in WinUAE

I'm trying to partition a 160gb drive in WinUAE so I can set it up for my A4000. I used to use this drive in my A1200 but then I only used the first 128gb of it.

I keep reading you can partition up to 2tb - when I click on read drive info in hdtoolbox it reads 310101 cyclinders but it wants to park the head at 266305. Is this safe or should it be at the end of disk? Can I still use the space after 266305 without errors if this is where the head is parked?

The drive currently has SFS installed on the RDB and I usually use scsi device 43.45.

While i'm here can I just ask can you load scsi.device to sort out large hard drive support and then load idefix after that to enable drives on ide splitters without idefix trying to do the job of scsi.device?
Old 08 September 2015, 09:58   #2
thomas

I doubt that the park head value has any meaning for scsi.device. But anyway I'd always put the number of cylinders in there.

I hope you are aware that scsi.device 43.45 needs a patch to properly support LBA48.

Unfortunately IDEfix cannot be hindered to patch scsi.device. But you can use atapi.device to access ATAPI drives on the second channel without running IDEfix. So you could for example put two hard drives on the first channel and a CD drive and a ZIP drive on the second channel.
Old 11 September 2015, 01:24   #3
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I doubt that the park head value has any meaning for scsi.device. But anyway I'd always put the number of cylinders in there.

I hope you are aware that scsi.device 43.45 needs a patch to properly support LBA48.

Unfortunately IDEfix cannot be hindered to patch scsi.device. But you can use atapi.device to access ATAPI drives on the second channel without running IDEfix. So you could for example put two hard drives on the first channel and a CD drive and a ZIP drive on the second channel.
Hi Thomas

Do you mean I should move the park cylinder to the highest cylinder on the disk? in this case 310101? And what patch do I need to make to 43.45 to add LBA48 support?

Also regarding atapi.device, do I use loadmodule with this file? (I am correct in thinking atapi.device is from the idefix package?). If that's all correct and I run loadmodule atapi.device in the start up sequence, will the Amiga then simply see all devices on 2nd channels without doing anything else? obviously for a DVD drive I will need to mount it first but what about hard drives? (i've a zip drive too but that will need a mount file too).

Thanks for your help!
Old 11 September 2015, 07:58   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Do you mean I should move the park cylinder to the highest cylinder on the disk? in this case 310101?
Yes, put the same number in there which HDToolbox has put into the number of cylinders. Actually it is one higher than the last cylinder because cylinders are counted from zero (0 - 310100).

Quote:
And what patch do I need to make to 43.45 to add LBA48 support?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=405413

Quote:
Also regarding atapi.device, do I use loadmodule with this file?
I don't think you can use loadmodule with atapi.device.

Quote:
(I am correct in thinking atapi.device is from the idefix package?).
Yes.

Quote:
If that's all correct and I run loadmodule atapi.device in the start up sequence, will the Amiga then simply see all devices on 2nd channels without doing anything else? obviously for a DVD drive I will need to mount it first but what about hard drives? (i've a zip drive too but that will need a mount file too).
No, atapi.device does not automount anything. And it does not see harddrives, it only recognises ATAPI devices (optical drives and the like).

Put all devices which need mount files (dos drivers) on the second channel and all harddrives on the first channel. Then you can use scsi.device for the first channel and atapi.device for the second channel.
Old 11 September 2015, 18:19   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
On my A4000 I'm running a 40gb HDD on the Motherboard IDE and DVDRW on the same cable. I use loadmodule to patch scsi device (I use 43.45 also) but I'm using PFS3 AIO as the file system. I use IDEFix97 for the DVD drive, but I do not run IDEFix in my Startup sequence.

During install IDEFix will ask you if you want to run IDEFix and Update your Startup Sequence, say NO. Next it will guide you through setting up the CD Drive, choose Atapi Device and setup as prompted.
Old 11 September 2015, 21:38   #6
-Acid-

That's great guys, i'll get some time tomorrow evening to try and work it all out and report back
Old 14 September 2015, 01:28   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
That's great guys, i'll get some time tomorrow evening to try and work it all out and report back
How did it go bud?
Old 14 September 2015, 02:00   #8
-Acid-

I had a look at this tonight but i'm slightly confused. For a start that other thread that thomas linked me to says there is an extract module command in the load module archive.

Contents of util/boot/LoadModule.lha

PERMISSION UID GID PACKED SIZE RATIO METHOD CRC STAMP NAME
---------- ----------- ------- ------- ------ ---------- ------------ ----------
[generic] 4526 6856 66.0% -lh5- 1586 Jun 1 1980 LoadModule
[generic] 5287 13024 40.6% -lh5- fc65 Jun 1 1980 LoadModule.readme
[generic] 370 852 43.4% -lh5- 27fd Jan 28 2001 LoadModule.readme.info
---------- ----------- ------- ------- ------ ---------- ------------ ----------
Total 3 files 10183 20732 49.1% May 30 21:33

Am I missing something here? also the read me with the instructions in that lha are not very clear and seem to only provide details for fixing a 3.9 rom image, any chance of a quick noobs guide? The only thing I want to do is patch scsi.device as you guys have advised me to (I want A1200 and A4000 IDE versions).

Sorry to be a bother
Old 14 September 2015, 09:13   #9
thomas

Where did you get 43.45 from if you don't have a 3.9 ROM update? Note that the 3.9 ROM update is a file in Devs:, it's not a ROM image or ROM chip. You don't need Loadmodule if you fix the ROM update file.
Old 14 September 2015, 09:55   #10
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Where did you get 43.45 from if you don't have a 3.9 ROM update? Note that the 3.9 ROM update is a file in Devs:, it's not a ROM image or ROM chip. You don't need Loadmodule if you fix the ROM update file.
I got it from the LargeHD directory in ClassicWB. I want the patched scsi.device to use on wb3.x installs. I do have a bought copy of 3.9 as well which I will also be getting around to using as well at some stage. Just to recap the main thing I want is a patched scsi.device that I can use with loadmodule for wb3.x to enable me to use all of my 160gb hard drives.
Old 15 September 2015, 14:19   #11
fgh

A bit of a misunderstanding here I think.
43.45 is a patched version of 43.43 (OS3.9BB2) already containing Toni's LBA48 fix.
The 43.45 file from ClassicWB is enough.
(Plus atapi.device for the splitter)