English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Amiga magazine?
Amiga Action 5 2.37%
Amiga Computing 3 1.42%
Amiga Format 54 25.59%
CU Amiga 39 18.48%
Amiga Power 29 13.74%
Amiga Shopper 7 3.32%
The One 19 9.00%
Zzap! 3 1.42%
Zero (covered also Atari ST & pc) 3 1.42%
Amiga Joker (German) 23 10.90%
Other Amiga magazine 26 12.32%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01 March 2017, 12:52   #61
jizmo
Registered Abuser

We only had a choice of two in my small town, the two being CU Amiga and Amiga Format. Of those two I usually went with what the cover disks had on them, and ended up with more Amiga Format magazines.

On the side note I find almost any home computer magazine of 1987-1990 much more interesting than any computer magazine after that era.

So much stuff happened in those few years and it was an exciting time to be on board I guess.

Last edited by jizmo; 01 March 2017 at 13:04.
Old 01 March 2017, 18:36   #62
brett71

A lot of the magazines listed in the poll must have been mainly European ones. The main magazine I followed at the time was .info
Old 01 March 2017, 21:40   #63
trixster
Guru Meditating

Amiga Power for me. I still have every issue.
Old 01 March 2017, 22:54   #64
volvo_0ne

Your Sinclair/Your Spectrum ................. Oh Hang on... wrong forum ;-)
Old 02 March 2017, 02:09   #65
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Transactor? I don't think I've ever heard of that one? Was it a Norwegian language publication? If I had to guess I'd say it sounds vaguely like the title of a games magazine, am I correct?
Old 02 March 2017, 10:04   #66
NorthWay

Transactor was (AFAIK) Canadian and the most serious magazine of all on the Amiga. It covered hw, productivity sw and programming. I don't think they ever mentioned a game.
Old 06 March 2017, 05:18   #67
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

not a fair pool because i enjoy most from this list : I don't have a favorite. I guess the first 7 mags would be my favorite...

8, if you also count in CD32 gamer.
Old 11 March 2017, 18:27   #68
Stejjie

Amiga Format for me, if only because it was the first one I bought! I went through an Amiga Shopper phase for a year or so (when it relaunched as a much glossier magazine in the mid-90s) and bought the odd edition of Amiga Power, but always enjoyed the fact that Format had both the games and the serious stuff, and generally seemed to be well-written. They had the occasional awesome coverdisk as well (Blitz Basic , Imagine 2, Amos Pro etc.).

Must've stopped reading in '99 or something like that; I think I lost interest when it became clear the cover floppies were taking second place to the CDs (not that I blame them for making the CDs a priority - I just never had a CD-ROM drive for my 600!). I missed out on the last issue, sadly.

Although looking back at them now on Amiga Magazine Rack, it does feel like they were trying a bit too hard to be cool and edgy and their games reviews weren't always the best (the Frontier review in issue 54 comes across as a bit random at times).

But I was pretty solidly AF for most of my first Amiga time.
Old 21 June 2023, 16:19   #69
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just wanted to start a new thread and then found this one Maybe some of the newer member could vote too?
Old 21 June 2023, 16:32   #70
Dunny

When I first got my Amiga, I didn't buy mags. Some time later, I started with Amiga Format - and as I was pretty much exclusively gaming oriented, that was that.

Later, Amiga Computing was the one for me with occasional forays into CU Amiga. The coverdisks were the thing mostly, and the AC disks had so much good stuff packed in that was often genuinely useful. CU Amiga also started doing full app packages like OctaMed which was awesome.

Edit: I asked the hottest new AI chatbot around - RayBot - what he liked. Here are his responses.

So there you have it.

Last edited by Dunny; 21 June 2023 at 16:44.
Old 21 June 2023, 16:50   #71
arcanist

The cover disk wars really were a blessing for a broke kid. Here, have this slightly older version of a 100 quid program for a fiver.

Shout out to Amiga Shopper for their January 1994 issue. DICE C compiler on the coverdisk and a mini-book showing how to use it. Convinced my mum to send off for the full "Complete Amiga C" book. That kickstarted a career that's still going 30 years later.
Old 21 June 2023, 17:02   #72
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Have a LITTLE beef with Amiga Format, especially since they gave Powder 23% -_- else was one of my favorite mags together with CU Amiga
Old 21 June 2023, 18:33   #73
lionagony

I had a subscription to Amiga World back in the day but it was always a little dry. When my local computer shop started carrying The One I would plead with my dad to buy each new issue because the shop was right near his work. I loved the humor, after Amiga World it was a genuine laugh riot! I still remember two captions from it, one had a picture of a dragon and said, "A dragon, it sure does" to slag the game. Another said "what's brown and sticky? a stick!" Still my favourite dad joke to this day.
Old 21 June 2023, 21:16   #74
Aulapatchuc

Amiga Shopper all along. Learned a lot of Amiga with it. From 1 (missed 0) to 69 (missed the last one).

Amiga Format comes second for the games.
Old 21 June 2023, 21:48   #75
Megalomaniac

Format and Power were the main ones I bought, though I did get the others sometimes, usually when the coverdisks looked good.

I'd probably prefer Power, even if I certainly didn't agree with every review, at least you always knew it was the reviewer's honest opinion - not what the publishers asked for, and not what the reviewer felt he was expected to write. The writing quality, ability to construct and follow through with an argument, and often genuine humour was also a joy frequently, and I'd say their coverdisks were usually best. Jonathan Nash was a bit of a pillock though.

AF was well written, knowledgeable and varied, but there were times when the Amiga enthusiasm was a bit one-sided - particularly in the immediate post-Commodore era when they were probably slow to accept that the Amiga wasn't a mainstream proposition anymore, but sometimes earlier - I remember one issue with a 'glossary' where 'console' was described as something like "a cheap Japanese toy designed for playing games that originated on the Amiga" - the same issue featured a gushing preview of Desert Strike....
Old 22 June 2023, 01:20   #76
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Here in NZ, we actually got a decent selection of Amiga magazines, cost was anywhere from $9NZD to $18NZD depending if they came with coverdiscs or not etc.

My order of preference tho was : CU Amiga, The One for Amiga, Amiga Format.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to be given about 8 "banana" boxes full of Amiga magazines someone had been hoarding.... only a few had discs attached tho. Bought back a lot of memories... and complaints from the wife for the space they were taking up etc So I moved them on to someone else....
Old 23 June 2023, 19:26   #77
dirk_the_daring

I miss AUI Amiga User Inernational, this and CU Amiga were my prefered ones. Followed by Amiga Format.
Amiga Power has the best game reviews, but being game based only finally this 3 mixed content ones surpased it.
Old 24 June 2023, 09:13   #78
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Amiga World. Still love it today.
Old 24 June 2023, 12:21   #79
Etze
A3000-Fan

I’m from Germany, so my favourite magazine is the German „Amiga Magazin“. But every now and then I bought a UK magazine like CU or Format. I think, CU Amiga was the best of the UK magazines and I really loved the cover disks. Though nothing beats the early „Amiga Magazin“ for me.
Old 24 June 2023, 14:42   #80
QuikSanz

Here in on the west coast of US Amiga Format was mostly the best, CUAmiga came in second, AWorld came in third. This from counting discs, CD's & Floppys.

Chris