English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 10 December 2017, 14:12   #41
Cowcat

There is a mem cvar "com_hunkmegs" that can be set to 54. Just looking around code.

Also there are com_ memory variables all over the place to set audio memory, etc.

Don't find anything particular about a default memory for initiating the program: It takes what it takes.

In default setting (being in windowmode to see stuff) the program eats 123-126 mg just starting.
Loading first level it stays at 131 mg (at least today).

No need to rename directories or anything: Just the exec, the baseq3 dir with packs and nothing else.

There are 2 vars "developer" "logfile" that I made "resident" just to grab whats going on. Don't leave this "1" for normal playing on the config.file because writes a lot of stuff to disk and could slow down things.

I have the demo paks that I use: If someone needs it, send me here a pm.
Old 10 December 2017, 14:19   #42
jack-3d
kLiker

No error appears, it is just started, loads the memory and after few minutes it returns most of the memory back. From snoopdos point of view it starts the game, opens powerpc.library, locks pak files and then nothing else.

Yes I have also some Quake 3 installation from MorphOS, but its 14 years old with OSP and other patches. I will try that as well.

I am changing Voodoo4 by Voodoo3 now and add memory to Sonnet, lets see what happens...
Old 10 December 2017, 14:26   #43
Cowcat

Remember that sometimes it gets in zombie state for a while (like a minute or so) on my MOS system. Don't know if that happens with real Amiga.

Better have the program in windowmode (fullscreen 0) to see if it crashes or not. No mouse grab done by me at this moment.

Also probably MOS original exec did update "something" to the paks: I remember being non working at first states till it update.
Old 10 December 2017, 14:46   #44
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
I have no experience about this Whenever I upload the sources anyone is welcome to do it .
Cool, thanks! I will of course give credit and point to your profile here.
I have this on-going effort to collect all the port sources for Amiga platforms in one place, so you don't have to google for ages to find it all: https://github.com/AmigaPorts

Currently there's only SDL-1.2 and MilkyTracker, but I hope to gather as much as possible.
Old 10 December 2017, 14:49   #45
jack-3d
kLiker

Some progress after all:

Changes voodoo4 to voodoo3 card so I could have 192 MB on Sonnet. As I have two Quake3 installations, one is not workingm one is working now:

1) Quake 3 with executable and baseq3 with content (from PC installation cdrom) => not working
2) Quake 3 from MorphOS from 14 years old backup CD works, but I am missing graphics from the menu and Single Player works but looks like trip on LSD without textures and polygons are dancing, it is really funny, but playable ;o))))
Old 10 December 2017, 15:00   #46
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
There is a mem cvar "com_hunkmegs" that can be set to 54. Just looking around code.
com_hunkmegs is by default 64. Upping it results in a memory allocation error.
com_zonemegs is by default 24 and com_soundmegs 8. I read that both are actually subtracted from com_hunkmegs, but not sure.

Setting it to 48 (so lower) results in that I can load the first map with all textures on high with sound, but now it is very slow.

Setting to 48 with texture detail one notch lower and 800x600 also works at around 17 fps in open field
Old 10 December 2017, 15:02   #47
Cowcat

Quote:
trip on LSD without textures and polygons are dancing, it is really funny, but playable ;o))))
Looks like using a config.cfg from another place. Erase all configs just in case

@Marlon_ Just send me a pm here. Would like to upload the whole thing. Here I'm running out of space
Old 10 December 2017, 16:25   #48
jack-3d
kLiker

You were right, it was just some settings, now game works and loooks great, just playing Single map by map and its very playable. It is not supr smooth, but I have no problem to win.

I still cannot believe my eyes, I play Quake3 on my classic Amiga! Cowcat and Hedeon you made my dreams come truth! ;o)

Old 10 December 2017, 16:35   #49
trixster
Guru Meditating

Video of the 500mhz please!
Old 10 December 2017, 17:47   #50
Wrangler

OK, time for me to reach for my "I am lame" hat...

Sonnet lib v294, only things in Q3 folder are quake3 and baseq3 folder and that has 9 pk3 files copied over from a PC install of the full game (which works). Folder is named "Quake III" (with a space). I start quake3 with no command line options and it craps out with a storage exception. Sonnet has 192Mb, rest of Amiga has about 132Mb in it. 640x480 LE video mode works fine.

What am I missing?
Old 10 December 2017, 18:17   #51
Cowcat

Quote:
What am I missing? 
Maybe those paks aren't ok for this version ? Just guessing.
Old 10 December 2017, 19:00   #52
Cowcat

Fixed multiplayer !

Connecting to internet servers works If you are really connected to the net (if not crashes).

Killed someone out there

Of course local lan works.

Moved some stuff & little fixes. Hope didn't screw anything.

Added mintriarea for performance: See Q2 or Blitzquake stuff to learn how it works. It has to be set before running the game( the var is in config.cfg).

Last edited by Cowcat; 12 December 2017 at 11:36.
Old 10 December 2017, 21:06   #53
Sir_Lucas

@Cowcat
Great job with multiplayer and LAN. Hope you can get it down to at least 128MB. Fingers crossed!!
Old 10 December 2017, 23:03   #54
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
OK, time for me to reach for my "I am lame" hat...

Sonnet lib v294, only things in Q3 folder are quake3 and baseq3 folder and that has 9 pk3 files copied over from a PC install of the full game (which works). Folder is named "Quake III" (with a space). I start quake3 with no command line options and it craps out with a storage exception. Sonnet has 192Mb, rest of Amiga has about 132Mb in it. 640x480 LE video mode works fine.

What am I missing?
I've tried using the PC paks without success. The only thing that worked was copying the paks off of a MorphOS install (maybe others?) . Can send you a demo pak that will work if you haven't found one, drop me a line.
Old 11 December 2017, 00:04   #55
jack-3d
kLiker

Alpha6 is not working for me now. I tested it with Miami connected to LAN and also with no tcpip client started, both ends with Sonnet memory output CLI.
Old 11 December 2017, 01:05   #56
jack-3d
kLiker

Alpha5 on 500Mhz here: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 December 2017, 08:57   #57
Cowcat

Quote:
Alpha6 is not working for me now
Backup the config.cfg and start clean. Waiting for more reports if it's working or not.

Weird: the only change is the correct tcp stuff (that was in old alphas) and some drawing stuff that really wasn't used.

Maybe alpha6 is wrong: Uploaded a version that missed something, then deleted, fixed it and uploaded again. Fast before someone download it. Maybe corrupted??......
Old 11 December 2017, 09:18   #58
Cowcat

Ok. Something gets in the way once game records config.cfg. Multiplayer hangs here today but deleting config.cfg works again........

Game starts at least without going multiplayer? What about deleting config ?
Old 11 December 2017, 09:48   #59
jack-3d
kLiker

I am at work, but Alpha6 just generated Sonnet CLI output in Workbench, it did not start the game. I will check later this evening if config deletion will help.
Old 11 December 2017, 11:17   #60
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
I have this on-going effort to collect all the port sources for Amiga platforms in one place, so you don't have to google for ages to find it all: https://github.com/AmigaPorts
Great initiative!