English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 04 January 2024, 15:01   #21
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
These copymem patches... is there a kickstart patch as an alternative?

I don't see why you wouldn't want them on most of the time.
The Kickstart patch is more commonly known as "Setpatch". This patch does extensive patching but unfortunately the exec Copymem/quick functions are not patched. Setpatch was originally intended as bug fix patch rather than a performance improvement patch.

It has grown considerably beyond bug fixes to enabling the hardware and new features and loading CPU support libraries. So 3rd party developers more or less inherited the Copymem function improvement task.
Old 04 January 2024, 15:35   #22
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
The Kickstart patch is more commonly known as "Setpatch". This patch does extensive patching but unfortunately the exec Copymem/quick functions are not patched. Setpatch was originally intended as bug fix patch rather than a performance improvement patch.

It has grown considerably beyond bug fixes to enabling the hardware and new features and loading CPU support libraries. So 3rd party developers more or less inherited the Copymem function improvement task.
I meant patching the kickstart ROM itself i.e. an image of the rom, to then burn.
Old 04 January 2024, 21:27   #23
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
I meant patching the kickstart ROM itself i.e. an image of the rom, to then burn.
That's certainly a possibility, but keep in mind that most of the patches are CPU specific and often larger than the original exec routines. So you would need to make an exec.library that's significantly larger than what's currently available.

If your plan is to always require a minimum 1MB Kickstart ROM then that would work but certain members of the Amiga community will complain about your reckless proposal to abandon the 512KB Kickstart ROM.
Old 04 January 2024, 23:50   #24
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
That's certainly a possibility, but keep in mind that most of the patches are CPU specific and often larger than the original exec routines. So you would need to make an exec.library that's significantly larger than what's currently available.

If your plan is to always require a minimum 1MB Kickstart ROM then that would work but certain members of the Amiga community will complain about your reckless proposal to abandon the 512KB Kickstart ROM.
I am already using a 1M kickstart

Lots of room in there still.