English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 29 August 2018, 10:22   #1
earok

Earok's minor hacks

In the zone, ADF (Crack: defjam, AGA fix: CRX) and WHDLoad disk image.

So basically:
- Joystick is set by default (making it more suitable for CD32 compilations etc).
- Joystick is set by default to high sensitivity.
- Second button can be used to accelerate. Up still works for accelerate as well, and fire button is still for nitro.

I'm a little bit embarrassed about this one for a couple of reasons. The first is that (excluding the ADF version) it really should have been done as custom options on a WHDLoad slave.

The second is, I couldn't find a clean place to put the patch, so I ended up overwriting the text instructions for the cheat menu. The cheat menu is a bit hard to get to regardless, and it still seems to work just fine (so long as you know what to do on that screen - use number pad to write in new co-efficients for corners. Thanks to ransom for confirming)

So, yeah, this is a quick and dirty project. In any case, I could apply the patch to other ADFs if wanted (I couldn't see an ADF that was both AGA fixed and trained, but if there is one it may be worth applying it there).
Old 29 August 2018, 14:00   #2
ransom1122

Nice work... The Fire Button for accelerate is Fantastic. I will do more tests with this tomorrow..

Did you see if you can unlock the cheat mode by default and also be able to use any fire button instead of keyboard input for machine guns?
Old 29 August 2018, 15:15   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Mouse control is by far the best option to play Super Hang-On. But i see, it's more like for CD32 compilations.
Old 29 August 2018, 15:18   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Mouse control is by far the best option to play Super Hang-On.
I'm with you on this one Retro

Quote:
But i see, it's more like for CD32 compilations.
I guess that's the point of it.
Old 29 August 2018, 16:01   #5
Gordon
Settler

I prefer joystick. I feel pushing up on the joystick gives me the illusion I am riding the bike, well kind of.

Earok, is this on your list for your "special edition" treatment? The music to match the arcade quality?
Old 30 August 2018, 00:34   #6
ransom1122

I have never played Super HangOn with a mouse. I recall trying it once in the late 80s but it just didnt work as well as using a joystick.

BTW I Retest the WHDLoad on a A1200 WINUAE and is working perfectly.. Thanks Earok!!

Last edited by ransom1122; 30 August 2018 at 02:25.
Old 30 August 2018, 06:29   #7
earok

Thanks guys!

Yeah the mouse vs joystick thing is probably a marmite thing. For people who prefer joystick for whatever reason, it's here. For people who prefer mouse, there's no real reason to use this version, but mouse isn't disabled either - it just isn't enabled by default.

I did in fact work out how to enable the cheat by default (I was actually hoping just to enable the machine gun always but enabling the cheat mode also disables the timer). If it's really wanted I can just do a straight WHDLoad disk image with trainer enabled to use as an optional alternative, but again this is something that probably should be an addition to the slave.

I'll also see if I can find a trained version that works with AGA (any suggestions?), if not I could possibly apply the AGA fix from the other cracked version. But in any case I wasn't planning to do much further with this - replacing music and hooking machine gun to buttons is out of scope for me!

Completely off topic, but I've applied the English Prodigy translation of Tony & Friends to the WHDLoad disk image if anyone wanted to test it out - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...13#post1265013
Old 30 August 2018, 10:08   #8
earok

I've already wasted too much time on this so I've made a further update (zoned), I'll leave it there.

- Cheat mode is enabled by default (I thought this stopped the time for some reason, it doesn't) so you can shoot machine gun with Amiga key any time. You can also change the coefficients for the turns by holding CTRL+ALT+Z+T at the start (default values are 60 and 45, replace using number pad).

- Bug that made the game hang when switched to mouse mode has been resolved.
Old 30 August 2018, 10:53   #9
Hewitson

Quote:
Mouse control is by far the best option to play Super Hang-On. But i see, it's more like for CD32 compilations.
Theoretically the mouse should be better, but the Megadrive Super Hang On obviously doesn't support one, and still plays a million times better than the piece of shit the Amiga received.

The only good thing about Amiga Super Hang On is the title tune. Amazing piece of music that I'll never forget.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 August 2018, 11:45   #10
ransom1122

holding CTRL+ALT+Z+T at any part doesn't do anything with winuae?

Machine gun & 2nd fire button working perfectly from get go.
Old 30 August 2018, 12:26   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
holding CTRL+ALT+Z+T at any part doesn't do anything with winuae?
Are you actually using a joystick or "Keyboard Layout B" (in which case this key combination won't work obviously)?
Old 30 August 2018, 17:24   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Theoretically the mouse should be better, but the Megadrive Super Hang On obviously doesn't support one, and still plays a million times better than the piece of shit the Amiga received.
Not only theoretically. Analog controls for racing games is always better and you can adjust the mouse controls setting as you wish.

The MD Version is slightly enhanced. But plays like crap with digital d-pad controls. Unplayable for me. Amiga version still rocks today. Well, RVF Honda is the better game though.
Old 31 August 2018, 11:26   #13
ransom1122

Finally I got CTRL+ALT+Z+T working, I was pressing the keys not holding.. Anyway it works I can turn any corner at maximum speed like a boss and fire down other motorbikes with my machine gun from the start of the game.

It would be cool if Fire 1 was to accelerate and Fire 2 was for Machine guns otherwise great work Earok!
Old 31 August 2018, 12:02   #14
nobody

The Amiga version is BETTER than Mega drive and joystick is the best way to play this game. With 2 buttons one accelerate and one for turbo. I will use this version for whdload thanks.
Old 31 August 2018, 12:59   #15
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
The Amiga version is BETTER than Mega drive and joystick is the best way to play this game. With 2 buttons one accelerate and one for turbo. I will use this version for whdload thanks.
Only a fool would say the Amiga version is better than the Megadrive. As someone who has spent many hours with both versions, I can tell you the MD annihlates the Amiga version in every way. It even includes a story mode where you can upgrade your bike.
Old 31 August 2018, 13:06   #16
Gordon
Settler

Add me to the fools list as I think the amiga version is better.
Old 31 August 2018, 13:27   #17
nobody

I have played both versions extensively and the Amiga is the better version. Maybe I am a fool then who knows. It's the best racer on the Amiga actually (IMO).
Old 31 August 2018, 14:16   #18
ransom1122

I tried out the MD version today to see the difference myself I must admit the bike looks better and moves better but that's about it. I like the GFX and sound and control on the amiga version. The MD sound is terrible.
Old 31 August 2018, 17:17   #19
DanyPPC

The MD version is more like the coin-op, but both versions are very playable.

Personally I think that anyway that MD is superior as a conversion.
Old 31 August 2018, 21:30   #20
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
RVF Honda is the the best Amiga bike racer