English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 September 2006, 16:13   #1
scifi
Resurrected...

Question What's your worst Amiga game Developer?

Well... I think that thread could be more interesting!

Llamasoft?! maybe...

Ah! and the one from Australia but I don't remember the name...

Express your thoughts...
Old 18 September 2006, 18:26   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

There can be only one......

Tiertex!!!
Old 18 September 2006, 18:27   #3
pbareges

MYSELF!
Old 18 September 2006, 18:33   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Tiertex!!!
You really haven't got much time for those guys have you?
Old 18 September 2006, 19:46   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150
You really haven't got much time for those guys have you?

they never did a proper Amiga game, for fucks sake, games that should have used the copper for graduated backdrops, used graduated bitmaps instead!

They NEVER made the effort on the Amiga, and I fail to see quite how they were so prolific. I never rated Strider, and it only looked more pathetic when the Megadrive/Genesis version was released.

'Most' people learn from their craft, learn to do things better and quicker, take David Broadhurst. He did Ghouls n Ghosts, which other than the music was pretty average (and next to the Megadrive/Genesis.. oh dear!), but the guy got better with Dojo Dan and Assassin.

Tiertex seemed to be incapable or unwilling to make things better, they just churned out the same Atari ST shit time and again. I suppose you can't really blame Tiertex in a way, if US Gold had sent the games back and said 'not good enough, get it sorted' then things might have been different.

Tiertex were the deadline kings, never missing one, because they didn't bother to do the games properly!

Grrrrr.........
Old 18 September 2006, 20:42   #6
demoniac

U.N. Squadron was probably the best Tiertex game and that was just okay.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:38   #7
blade002
Zone Friend

ICE were a crap developer. The graphic artist they used for their games just could NOT draw and his style was apalling!!. About the only game of theirs that i liked a little tiny bit due to its humour was Mean Areana's, but Akira and virtually everthing else they brought out, made me want to run away.

In a nutshell. they were SHIT!!!

And yeah Tiertex were absolutely useless too.. i totally agree.
Old 19 September 2006, 19:47   #8
Photon

scifi: Llamasoft is/was just one guy, Jeff Minter, and I think the Amiga came during his phase from expensive to budget/shareware games (well he did a lot of budget stuff before that). And even though his games weren't as technically awesome as his C64/Atari (800 was it?) ones, his games are unique and you won't 'get'/bother with them unless you have the reflexes of a cobra, the patience of a nun (?) and a joystick that can take the punishment! Yeah and your brain must be resistant to psychedelic color cycling, too.

But yeah, he never really made a real hit for Amiga.

Did Codemasters do any Amiga games? They really made the most awful tripe, even for budget. Deceiving company name, deceiving game names (Advanced Fruit Machine Simulator... ohkay.), deceiving slogan ("Absolutely Brilliant!")...

I did enjoy that multiplayer toy car game on PC though, don't know if the Darlings programmed that. Now they're famous for Colin McRae sequels, guess they've hired some talent.

Bottom line is they never lived up to their name.
Old 19 September 2006, 20:35   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Probe.

They Murdered 1943 which came out at about the same time as Battle Squadron.

Most of the other titles were average too.
Old 19 September 2006, 20:42   #10
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Im gonna have to say Probe as well.

I really wanted Outrun to be good but it was a great steaming pile of jobbies.
Old 19 September 2006, 21:14   #11
Legerdemain

The one I have most problems with is quite undoubtedly The Bitmap Brothers.

Do I think that they lacked the talent to produce a good game? No!
Do I think that they released only shitty titles? No!

Why do they stir things (read: emotions) up so much in my world then? Well... it is rather simple, really; why didn't they care for the Amiga? Why the HELL did they not take advantage of the hardware they had at hand? Not one single one of their game feels like anything more than a rather pale port from the Atari ST. They should have used the copper, they should have used the hardware scroll to make their games run in perfect 50Hz/1px scroll. They should have taken advantage of the power to make The Chaos Engine run smoothly instead of giving us a game which while being a brilliant game, in itself, at the same time being a game that suffers from major slowdowns which BY NO MEANS had to be there.

If they had made use of the power that was to be found in the Amiga... Cadaver and The Chaos Engine would have made it really high on my list of great Amiga games. Now they don't reach all the way. Because of lazyness. And it makes me so upset. The fact that I don't like Gods and Xenon 2 doesn't make things easier, either. Neither the fact that I think Speedball 2 was a really innovating title back in the days (but seems to have aged, to me, due to being played in 25FPS instead of 50FPS and so on and so on).

I hate them. Yet I love them. Yet I hate them. While I still love them.

Damn The Bitmap Brothers.
Old 19 September 2006, 21:41   #12
keropi

as for gods, on every system I played it, it had crap scrolling...
Old 19 September 2006, 23:56   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain

Do I think that they lacked the talent to produce a good game? No!
Do I think that they released only shitty titles? No!

Why do they stir things (read: emotions) up so much in my world then? Well... it is rather simple, really; why didn't they care for the Amiga? Why the HELL did they not take advantage of the hardware they had at hand? Not one single one of their game feels like anything more than a rather pale port from the Atari ST. They should have used the copper, they should have used the hardware scroll to make their games run in perfect 50Hz/1px scroll. They should have taken advantage of the power to make The Chaos Engine run smoothly instead of giving us a game which while being a brilliant game, in itself, at the same time being a game that suffers from major slowdowns which BY NO MEANS had to be there.

If they had made use of the power that was to be found in the Amiga... Cadaver and The Chaos Engine would have made it really high on my list of great Amiga games. Now they don't reach all the way. Because of lazyness. And it makes me so upset. The fact that I don't like Gods and Xenon 2 doesn't make things easier, either. Neither the fact that I think Speedball 2 was a really innovating title back in the days (but seems to have aged, to me, due to being played in 25FPS instead of 50FPS and so on and so on).

I hate them. Yet I love them. Yet I hate them. While I still love them.

Damn The Bitmap Brothers.
Cadaver has no scrolling therefore isn't an issue.

The reason why they opted for 25FPS instead of 50FPS was because they would rather the game ran at a steady framerate than to be constantly dropping a frame and jerking.
Old 20 September 2006, 00:00   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
Im gonna have to say Probe as well.

I really wanted Outrun to be good but it was a great steaming pile of jobbies.

Got to say, I didn't mind Probe. Sure their early stuff was a bit rank, but they got better. Supremacy, Mortal Kombat, T2 Arcade, Smash TV, Mr.Heli were ok, and certainly better than the shite that Tiertex churned out.

God, please, stop me going on about it!!!!!!!!
Old 20 September 2006, 00:46   #15
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Got to say, I didn't mind Probe. Sure their early stuff was a bit rank, but they got better. Supremacy, Mortal Kombat, T2 Arcade, Smash TV, Mr.Heli were ok, and certainly better than the shite that Tiertex churned out.
Yeah I suppose some of their later stuff did redeem them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain

....They should have used the copper
Gods does use the copper, and personally Im glad they didnt use it in everything as I thought it was used badly far too often in a lot of games.
Old 20 September 2006, 08:47   #16
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifi
Well... I think that thread could be more interesting!

Llamasoft?! maybe...

Ah! and the one from Australia but I don't remember the name...

Express your thoughts...
Llamasoft? Shoot him

As for worst developer, I vote for Probe. I still remember playing Out Run Europa and switching off the computer 3 minutes later to load Lotus I.
Old 20 September 2006, 14:10   #17
Legerdemain

Quote:
Cadaver has no scrolling therefore isn't an issue.

The reason why they opted for 25FPS instead of 50FPS was because they would rather the game ran at a steady framerate than to be constantly dropping a frame and jerking.
Yes, it was rather a bad example... but I do remember that the last time I played the game I was somewhat annoyed by the fact that it showed exactly the same tendencies as their other games, in other words: not running smoothly, but just like you said it isn't much of a problem since the game isn't scrolling, but the characters could have moved smoother. Though, I'll fire up the game tonight just to have a look at exactly what was bothering me... because bothered I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
Gods does use the copper, and personally Im glad they didnt use it in everything as I thought it was used badly far too often in a lot of games.
Does it, really? I might be wrong here, especially since I don't know my Atari ST... but the Atari ST version has the exactly same 'copper' effect and to my knowledge the Atari ST has no copper. I have been under the impression that that specific routine never was adapted to make use of the Amiga copper (like pretty much everything else in their games)... which, in turn, to a certain extent would explain why it would have been a bit more troublesome to make Gods scroll smoothly on the Amiga.
Old 20 September 2006, 17:47   #18
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Well if its not technically a copper bg but rather a rainbow coloured bitmap then fair enough, but the colours are there, does it matter?
Old 20 September 2006, 20:26   #19
mailman
Zone Friend

I hate Ocean. Even if they sometimes created nice piece of software, they were spoiling almost every game concept taken from the movie. I don't have a clue how they managed to obtain the licence when most of their adaptations were crappy (after giving them another licence, people should take a look what had they done before). They also couldn't/were not willing to advertise their good games but they did it with movie based stuff which mostly was a disaster.
Old 21 September 2006, 09:50   #20
scifi
Resurrected...

Arrow

Quote:
I hate Ocean. Even if they sometimes created nice piece of software, they were spoiling almost every game concept taken from the movie. I don't have a clue how they managed to obtain the licence when most of their adaptations were crappy (after giving them another licence, people should take a look what had they done before). They also couldn't/were not willing to advertise their good games but they did it with movie based stuff which mostly was a disaster.
I totally agree with you mailman!
Almost every movie that was transferred to Amiga was a disaster (except Batman maybe...).

Robocop & Red Heat & Total Recall were lame, Darkman poor, Hudson Hawk & Rambo III & T2 so & so, Platoon oh! my goodness!

Of course, there were good games like Hook or Addams Family or even Lethal Weapon but the majority was below average!