English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 January 2020, 16:20   #841
Turrican_3

Any news about the content of the new documents filed?

I can see a "Settlement agreement", hmm...
Old 18 January 2020, 15:20   #842
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican_3 View Post
Any news about the content of the new documents filed?

I can see a "Settlement agreement", hmm...
the court is obviously not pleased

Old 20 January 2020, 14:35   #843
Turrican_3

Ouch... thanks for the update, hopefully this madness ends as soon as possible, seems like a huge waste of money to me that could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 20 January 2020, 15:55   #844
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by number6 View Post
the court is obviously not pleased
To say the least.

Thanks for the head up @number6.
Old 20 January 2020, 16:36   #845
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican_3 View Post
Ouch... thanks for the update, hopefully this madness ends as soon as possible, seems like a huge waste of money to me that could be better spent elsewhere.
It's just like I said in post # 821, the lawyers just wrote themselves a big fat check!
Old 20 January 2020, 21:43   #846
Turrican_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
It's just like I said in post # 821, the lawyers just wrote themselves a big fat check!
I have no idea to be honest, not really into legal stuff.
Old 31 January 2020, 22:15   #847
gururise

Time for the community to DROP AmigaOS and move to an Open Source model (ie. AROS) like the Atari ST Community did long ago.

The Atari ST OS continually receives updates and improvements and is still being developed today due to it being open source.

If only the community would support AROS we would have much better compatibility and new features. I think Team Vampire is trying to get being the push for AROS as well.
Old 01 February 2020, 01:00   #848
xboxown

I agree 100% with gururise
Old 01 February 2020, 01:10   #849
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
To say the least.

Thanks for the head up @number6.
#84 filed per deadline given in prior filing

Old 01 February 2020, 01:55   #850
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururise View Post
If only the community would support AROS we would have much better compatibility and new features.
AROS is deficient in terms of its compatibility, and its support for existing AmigaOS features. So this statement makes no sense.
Old 01 February 2020, 02:06   #851
Dunny

AROS was written initially with x86 processors in mind and oodles of RAM/Storage - and what's quick on PC architectures isn't necessarily good on 68k or even possible hence we have an OS that can't even run acceptably on original hardware and is pissed all over by the original AmigaOS 3 on stock machines.

Which is a shame, because it's ... well, no, it's not good. It looks bloody awful and it's slow as shit with massive incompatibilities with huge swathes of PC hardware.
Old 01 February 2020, 02:36   #852
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
AROS is deficient in terms of its compatibility, and its support for existing AmigaOS features.
And this can't change? I thought work was being done on it at the moment to correct his.

Last edited by sean_sk; 01 February 2020 at 02:45.
Old 01 February 2020, 04:42   #853
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
And this can't change? I thought work was being done on it at the moment to correct his.
Everything can change for sure, but AROS has strengths where AmigaOS does not and vice versa:

AROS is designed to be portable and is not married to a particular hardware architecture. That is a good choice if you want to take advantage of extremely fast hardware (e.g. X64) or low power scenarios (ARM) or even other more exotic hardware.

On the flip side, when it comes to dealing with Classic Amiga hardware, it struggles and will inevitably continue to do so because it does not have the best code generator for it, and it has additional abstraction layers to make their driver development model as hardware independant as possible, which is a prerequisite to make it portable.

IMHO AROS strength is showcased in its X64 development branch, where it has the potential to take advantage of multiple cores and more than 2 GB of ram at an affordable cost.

Trying to play a catching game with AmigaOS on 68k is not a very fuitful path for the reasons explained above. Better aim for the big boys (IBM PC hardware and/or whatever architecture drives the market in the future).
Old 01 February 2020, 05:54   #854
aeberbach

”drop” Amiga for AROS? Sorry but I care about using what I had in the 90s, and I don’t care one little bit about whether or not it’s open source. For those who do I’m happy they have that choice but if I want something modern there are many better alternatives of every ideological flavour.
Old 01 February 2020, 09:45   #855
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
AROS was written initially with x86 processors in mind and oodles of RAM/Storage.

This is the point I do not understand. If you already have a fast x86 processor, why not install a real operating system on it, i.e. something that keeps the system "operating".

AmigaOs is a very "lightweight" "toy system" without resource management and without task isolation. Thus, if I have capable hardware, I'd rather go for capable software on top. There is plenty, for every flavour of "Free" to "commercial", certainly with many better properties than AmigaOs, and certainly more robust and more stable.

Even if I would want to develop something new just for developing something new, AmigaOs is not a good role model or foundation for an Os as essential services have been neglected in its design, and you cannot just add them later.

I do not want anyone from spending time on his hobby, though. Just go ahead, but I do not quite see what this is about.
Old 01 February 2020, 13:33   #856
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by number6 View Post
Damn! It looks like there is now a serious possibility of another settlement agreement. I'm really cringing at the prospect of reading another settlement agreement signed by Bill McIdiot and Timothy DeGoon...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stipulated_Motion_Order_Extend.pdf (85.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 01 February 2020, 23:29   #857
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Everything can change for sure, but AROS has strengths where AmigaOS does not and vice versa:

AROS is designed to be portable and is not married to a particular hardware architecture. That is a good choice if you want to take advantage of extremely fast hardware (e.g. X64) or low power scenarios (ARM) or even other more exotic hardware.

On the flip side, when it comes to dealing with Classic Amiga hardware, it struggles and will inevitably continue to do so because it does not have the best code generator for it, and it has additional abstraction layers to make their driver development model as hardware independant as possible, which is a prerequisite to make it portable.

IMHO AROS strength is showcased in its X64 development branch, where it has the potential to take advantage of multiple cores and more than 2 GB of ram at an affordable cost.

Trying to play a catching game with AmigaOS on 68k is not a very fuitful path for the reasons explained above. Better aim for the big boys (IBM PC hardware and/or whatever architecture drives the market in the future).

That is not true and it is a lie. I have tried AROS on my Amiga hardware and it is as fast and smooth as workbench is. :P With all the advanced features that AmigaOS does not have. What? Want me to make video to you to proof it?
Old 02 February 2020, 00:06   #858
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
Damn! It looks like there is now a serious possibility of another settlement agreement. I'm really cringing at the prospect of reading another settlement agreement signed by Bill McIdiot and Timothy DeGoon...
An acquaintance of mine likes to say: "It is better to settle, even if it is only a medium one, than a long and expensive trial, even if we win it".

A week. Not so long after all...

@#6: thanks
Old 02 February 2020, 04:46   #859
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
That is not true and it is a lie. I have tried AROS on my Amiga hardware and it is as fast and smooth as workbench is. :P With all the advanced features that AmigaOS does not have. What? Want me to make video to you to proof it?
I am not a Youtuber, I don't make any type of videos at all.

But, you can delude yourself whatever you want. The only "advanced features" AROS has are the ones in the X64 branch.

In any real Amiga, even good old Commodore AmigaOS 3.1 clearly outperforms AROS, which struggles to even boot with less 3 or was it 4 MB?. And performance-wise, it is only tolerable on a high speed 68060 or WinUAE-like enviroment.

Perhaps you don't have any Amiga and run WinUAE only and just wish AROS could do better. The reality is harsh: the 68k Amiga platform lacks speed and is restricted by memory between other things compared to mainstream hardware.

On the other hand, last time I checked, AROS is extremely fast on X64.
Old 02 February 2020, 04:55   #860
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Pedro Cotter is semi regularly posting videos on the AROS progress. Several devs are actively working on the project now.
Unfortunately those videos don't display anything related to the work that is going on in AROS:

I have watched them, and they involve launching a demo or game that bypasses the OS, so AROS does little to nothing there.

Besides the x64 AROS branch. I am interested in the bare metal approach one of its devs was attempting to accomplish with a Raspberry pi.