English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 May 2017, 04:55   #1
Mark Wright

The further adventures of ST-01

Results of a little experiment for anyone interested:

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/karsten_all_the_time.mp3

I'm attempting to compile the original Soundtracker instrument set into a modern VST plug-in. This is a very quick WIP demo I thought I'd share (but probably shouldn't given its quality!) You won't be surprised to learn it's all pure ST-01.

I know I can't be the first to have set about doing something like this (I should do some research) but I was just so taken by how the crude samples come to life once some effects are added. I'm sure I'll come up with better examples as I progress :-)
Old 02 May 2017, 05:21   #2
wXR

Hohoho this is fun. Amazing what a little reverb does for those samples.
Old 02 May 2017, 06:00   #3
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Hohoho this is fun. Amazing what a little reverb does for those samples.
You're right about a little reverb... over-do things and you end up with my original v0.001 attempt - not pretty:

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/karstenoberheimzewi.mp3

Thanks for replying :-)
Old 02 May 2017, 06:05   #4
wXR

Still not bad. What's impressive is that the stuff actually sounds like commercial music of that era. Lay some moody vocals over the top and it could have been released in ~1983-85. I guess the sample pack wasn't too far off.
Old 02 May 2017, 06:25   #5
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Still not bad. What's impressive is that the stuff actually sounds like commercial music of that era. Lay some moody vocals over the top and it could have been released in ~1983-85. I guess the sample pack wasn't too far off.
That's what fascinates me. Lots of research has been done to identify the source of many ST-01 instruments (http://www.remix64.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5727) and Karsten Obarski should be acknowledged not only as the father of the 'Tracker, but also the genius who expertly curated those sounds. But I'm only interested in the Amiga sounds, for full authenticity!

My goal is to give a new lease of life to those knackered old samples, proving that with the right treatment they're prefectly credible and usable in 2017.

I guess I should explain my demo above is based on this cheesy 80s hit:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 May 2017, 10:00   #6
Jope
-

I approve of this product and / or service. I never really realised how relevant those samples were in the contemporary sense.
Old 02 May 2017, 13:28   #7
chiark
Needs a life

Big thumbs up! Top work Mark, and it'd be interesting to read a write-up about the sources if you fancy writing...
Old 02 May 2017, 14:45   #8
Frog

a little bit too much reverb for my taste, the melody and the composition is sweet like this.
Thank you for sharing some emotion from the past... with your mood of today.

Your video is quite funny too... you should check the movie Electric Dreams :
[ Show youtube player ]
but perhaps you already know it.
Old 02 May 2017, 18:24   #9
Amiga1992

Chipsounds does Amiga DAC emulation and includes the ST-01 sounds, but it's a paid solution:
https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds/

Someone in these forums was trying to track down the original samples/sources where the set came from, and managed to do so for many of them. Perhaps you want to use those original samples and sources? The sources they came from are top-notch and that s also why the samples produced, even if in low quality, sound so good.

[edit] got confused, it was here: https://modarchive.org/forums/index.php?topic=1577.0
Maybe you can use new samples from those sources! There's a lot of Roland D50 and Yamaha DX21 samples there.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 02 May 2017 at 19:06.
Old 02 May 2017, 20:24   #10
Bastich

I always loved Sound Tracker (in all its forms). Never could write music mind but had great fun collecting / ripping tunes. I was amazed how many times the same samples were used (and not initially recognised)
Old 08 May 2017, 18:25   #11
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Someone in these forums was trying to track down the original samples/sources where the set came from, and managed to do so for many of them. Perhaps you want to use those original samples and sources? The sources they came from are top-notch and that s also why the samples produced, even if in low quality, sound so good.
Super interesting stuff, cheers for the link!
Old 11 May 2017, 06:07   #12
Mark Wright

Just a quick update for anyone interested, playing around for a few hours tonight:

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/obarskitime.mp3

The object at the moment is to constantly refine the characteristic of each ST-01 sample until it eventually sits right in the typical mid-80s mix I'm trying to emulate (which is why I deliberately chose to cover the Eddie Murphy/Rick James song as I believe it's an achievable aim). Lots of EQ tweaking, movement around the stereo image, trying to add the optimum amount of FX, trial and error placement next to other instruments. At the end of each session I heavily process the update (as per the link above) to get an idea of how the audio might respond to mastering/broadcast techniques (the original audio is much cleaner).

Anyway, a long way to go and I cheerfully admit I might lack the required talent to pull this off! Although reading about the history of and sources for the ST-01 disk is fascinating, I'm determined my "ST-01 Plugin" will be just that - the original ST-01 samples, cleaned up and ready to play in contemporary software, sounding the best they can, but still unmistakably Amiga :-)

Edit: For anyone interested, the demo project as linked above (all pure ST-01) is made up of ST-01 instruments: Bassdrum 2, Bassdrum 3, Popsnare 2, Popsnare 3, Hihat 1, Hihat 2, Shaker, Funbass, Hallbrass, Soundtrack, Analog, Strings3, Strings4, TheEgg, Claps, Shamus, Rubber Bass, Hooman, Dreambell, DX Bass (and about 5 others I haven't reconciled names for yet!)

Last edited by Mark Wright; 11 May 2017 at 06:14. Reason: Adding anorak details
Old 12 May 2017, 13:01   #13
chiark
Needs a life

Oh blimey, they are so, so recognisable from early demos . Made me smile, thanks for that. (Close your eyes and you see bouncing copper lists, scrolly text and vu meters )
Old 19 May 2017, 21:42   #14
ghosty777

Original Amiga samples should be left dry .. But good luck completing the project, Mark
Old 20 May 2017, 03:41   #15
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty777 View Post
Original Amiga samples should be left dry .. But good luck completing the project, Mark
I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion. The more I play with the original samples in order to jazz them up, the more they're losing their quirky appeal.

I thought I'd tackle a proper ST-01 classic as another experiment - Karsten's Amegas (three hours work, just a test):

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/amegasagain.mp3

I'm disappointed that the extra processing and manipulation seems to add nothing. If anything, much of the character is lost rendering the whole enterprise pretty pointless! Oh well, it was just an idea/proof of concept. I might still try to build something less ambitious :-)
Old 21 May 2017, 17:14   #16
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Yeah should be dry really. Seconding Chipsounds here, very good paid solution and the authors do a ton of research into old system audio.
Old 27 May 2017, 02:16   #17
Mark Wright

Swansong from me on this concept, for anyone still interested. This final quick test satisfies my original curiosity over whether those gritty ST-01 samples could be cleaned up enough to cut the commercial mustard in 2017. Short answer: yes I think they can, though I'm not the man to do it. I had a fun few hours making the track linked below (all ST-01 expect for the acapella obviously) but from me, that's all folks! :-)

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/wackotracko.mp3

I predict (you heard it here first) that one day... a global smash hit will emerge featuring a female R&B starlet and brain-dead rap robot set to the strains of Shamus, Pizza, JahrMarkt and DigDug. There will be no escape from this esoteric homage to Soundtracker. FM music radio stations the world over will air this irritating (but wildly successful) song ten times a day, for three months. Its producer will become very rich. I look forward to hearing it :-)