English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 11 November 2016, 21:38   #1
ghosty777

Jochen Hippel Tracker

Anyone have a copy of the tracker that Jochen Hippel used to write the music for The Seven Gates of Jambala?

Thalion, i'm looking to you in hope, man

Thanks.
Old 12 November 2016, 13:16   #2
Mark Wright

Jochen Hippel/MadMax composed his early ST/Amiga stuff the old-fashioned way, pure code and data tables using his own routines, so no "tracker"-type sequencer involved, just lots and lots of painful hex in the traditional style of Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, etc.

However, sometime during 1989, the mysterious Future Composer appeared, released by the enigmatic SuperSero of the Superions. This was a crude and buggy "tracker" that was clearly based around Hippel's playroutine, coming complete with (editable) demo songs direct from (if memory serves..) Chambers of Shaolin, RSI Theme, Jambala, etc.

Here it is in action:

[ Show youtube player ]

I don't know the back-story of Future Composer. Perhaps "Supersero" was a beneficent Jochen Hippel in disguise or, more likely, it was all completely unofficial and built around leaked source code. Hopefully someone else can explain the commonality between Chris Huelsbeck's TFMX and Hippel's multiplex (7 voice?) stuff.

One thing's for sure, Future Composer was the first popular Amiga synth/chip tracker, spawning hundreds of soundalike songs throughout 1990 (download Magnetic Fields Chip Music Festival as evidence). SoundMon, SidMon/Bugmon and several others all came before, but it took the release of Future Composer to convince several MOD luminaries of the day to persevere with its editor in order to knock out yet another Hippel soundalike, before abandoning it forever.
Old 12 November 2016, 14:08   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
Jochen Hippel/MadMax composed his early ST/Amiga stuff the old-fashioned way, pure code and data tables using his own routines, so no "tracker"-type sequencer involved, just lots and lots of painful hex in the traditional style of Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, etc.

However, sometime during 1989, the mysterious Future Composer appeared, released by the enigmatic SuperSero of the Superions. This was a crude and buggy "tracker" that was clearly based around Hippel's playroutine, coming complete with (editable) demo songs direct from (if memory serves..) Chambers of Shaolin, RSI Theme, Jambala, etc.

Here it is in action:

[ Show youtube player ]

I don't know the back-story of Future Composer. Perhaps "Supersero" was a beneficent Jochen Hippel in disguise or, more likely, it was all completely unofficial and built around leaked source code. Hopefully someone else can explain the commonality between Chris Huelsbeck's TFMX and Hippel's multiplex (7 voice?) stuff.

One thing's for sure, Future Composer was the first popular Amiga synth/chip tracker, spawning hundreds of soundalike songs throughout 1990 (download Magnetic Fields Chip Music Festival as evidence). SoundMon, SidMon/Bugmon and several others all came before, but it took the release of Future Composer to convince several MOD luminaries of the day to persevere with its editor in order to knock out yet another Hippel soundalike, before abandoning it forever.
TFMX's 7 voice routines were based on a 4 voice routine written by Jochen for the ST
Old 12 November 2016, 21:18   #4
kamelito
Zone Friend

in this page there's the source code of the Atari version.

http://home.wtal.de/gmb/Hippel/hippelm.htm

kamelito
Old 13 November 2016, 18:28   #5
ghosty777

I always thought Jochel Hippel composed the Thalion stuff using some 'private' version of Future Composer that saved in .hip format.
Or failing that, converted those tracks afterwards to his own custom format.

I could never get the hang of Future Composer myself, but loved its sound over the more common trackers for chip-tunes.
I need to go listen to some now

Still it was easier to learn than Brian Postma's SoundMon, which was obviously also responsible for some lovely little melodies.

Last edited by ghosty777; 13 November 2016 at 18:45.
Old 14 November 2016, 10:11   #6
Gerry

Jochen presented his TFMX editor on the STNICCC 2015:

I presume the earlier games were done with a different editor (which Jochen programmed himself, too).
Old 14 November 2016, 20:40   #7
ghosty777

Wahey! Thanks for that Gerry, it raised a smile. Good to know Jochen is still tracking
Old 15 November 2016, 03:55   #8
macce2
Retro maniac

Oh, I love you, Hippel ! ☺ Could FC be downloaded from somewhere ? ��
Old 24 November 2016, 20:12   #9
ghosty777

It's on the EAB file server macce2.
Old 26 November 2016, 19:16   #10
macce2
Retro maniac

Many thanks, ghosty777 ! ;-)

FC can be also found here: