English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 08 September 2009, 15:05   #1
dframeli

Amithlon / AHI Sound Configuration Guide?

Does anyone know whether an Amithlon/AHI sound configuration guide exists?

I have Amithlon installed, along with an Amithlon compatible sound card (SB 512), Kernal v3.10, Drivers v0.90, AHI v6.0 (w/Paula), OpenPCI v2.1 and powerpci library.

I've configured AHI properly (I think).

When I play a song, I can see AmigaAMP's leds move as if the player is playing my song, however there's no sound output...

BTW, I editted and then started Puh, but that made no difference. I also tried two other Amithlon compatible cards, yet the result is the same.

I must have overlooked some small detail... Can anyone recommend that it might have been?

Thanks,
Dale
Old 08 September 2009, 15:33   #2
thomas

Probably the sound card is muted. Find the Mixer utility which allows you to change the volumes for the sound card.

Also there is a conflict between the new Linux-wrapper drivers and the original Amithlon drivers. You may install only one kind. Read the docs of the updates.
Old 09 September 2009, 14:56   #3
dframeli

Thomas,

I checked the AHI and Sound control panels, but did not find a mute option. (Volume levels are set to MAX)

I also checked the AmigaAmp configuration, but did not find one there either. (Volume is set to MAX and EQ Boost is also set to MAX)

I have the AC'97 mixer (all options are unmuted) but since this is a SB board, I didn't think I needed to use it...

Were you referring to something else when you mentioned unmuting the mixer utility?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09 September 2009, 15:37   #4
thomas

I am not sure what it's called, it's quite some time since I used Amithlon last time. Probably it's the AC97 mixer.

Every platform which uses PC sound cards (Morphos, OS4, Meditator, Amithlon) comes with some kind of mixer utility. Some of the sound card drivers mute the sound card by default, so you have to run the mixer first, before you can hear anything.
Old 10 September 2009, 14:58   #5
dframeli

I have 3 different SB sound cards sitting here.

All 3 are supposedly Amithlon compatible (SoundBlaster 128 w/ES1371 chip, SoundBlaster 128 w/CT5880 chip and SoundBlaster 512).

I've tested each of these 3 sound cards (one at a time, seperately), all 3 react the same way... I can see the leds in AmigaAMP moving for the duration of the song that is being played, however I hear nothing...

At the moment, only one card, the SoundBlaster 128 w/ES1371 chip is installed.

Even though I'm using a SB card, I tried the AC'97 Mixer utility. I confirmed that all options were unmuted, however I'm still not getting any sound output.

I editted PuhDerBaer and launched that, but again, no sound....

Currently, I have AHI v6.0 installed, and PAULA Stereo ++ selected in the AHI control panel as my output... (I tried the other options already)

Just so that I'm clear on the process, can you tell me what I need to install to get sound working, and also the sequence of steps that need to be taken within the Amiga OS to enable Amithlon sound output?

Also, is there a SB specific mixer, or just is the AC'97 Mixer utility the only one available?

Thanks!

Last edited by dframeli; 10 September 2009 at 15:08.
Old 10 September 2009, 20:37   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dframeli View Post
Also, is there a SB specific mixer, or just is the AC'97 Mixer utility the only one available?
Hi Dale,

A while ago, there was a site (amigabest.com) which hosted a lot of drivers and utilities for the Amiga including Amithlon. Unfortunately the site no longer exists in that guise.

When it was online, there was an AC97 Mixer 2.1 for Amithlon listed, but nothing for SoundBlaster or other sound cards.

I can upload it for you if it's different to yours and you'd like to try it.
Old 11 September 2009, 17:22   #7
dframeli

Prowler,

Thanks. I have a copy of the AC'97 Mixer utility.

Question, how do I load the Amithlon sound drivers???

They do not shown up in my AHI control panel.

Thanks Again!
Dale

Last edited by dframeli; 11 September 2009 at 18:35.
Old 11 September 2009, 20:47   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

I've uploaded the AC97 Mixer 2.1 for Amithlon to the Zone, just in case there's something in the archive you don't have.

I think that if the SoundBlaster had been fitted before installing Amithlon, the drivers would have installed automatically. There may be no provision to install the drivers retrospectively, if you have added it since then.
Old 11 September 2009, 20:53   #9
dframeli

Prowler,

Thanks!

I just kept messing with it until "finally", the Amithlon sound driver appeared in my AHI control panel. Not sure exacly what the problem was, but it appears to be fixed now

(BTW, the AHI SB and AHI AC'97 drivers did not work for me).

Thanks Again!
Old 11 September 2009, 21:00   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
(BTW, the AHI SB and AHI AC'97 drivers did not work for me).
But the AC97 Mixer does seem to have good compatibility with the SoundBlaster according to the AmigaGuide included with it.
Old 11 September 2009, 22:51   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

I've found the new web address for the amigabest.com site:
http://amithlon.free.fr/~amigabest/english/frame_en.htm
However, none of the downloads ( http://www.chez.com/amigabest/indexeng.php3 ) are working, and the site was last updated on 3rd August 2003.

Edit: Fortunately, there's still quite a lot of useful info under the SUPPORT, COMPATIBILITY, TEST, FAQS and INSTALL tabs.

Last edited by prowler; 11 September 2009 at 23:48.
Old 29 August 2023, 23:28   #12
dr.zeissler

Can someone please upload that AC97 mixer for amithlon?
My machine is setup up correctly but I don't hear anything, so I think sound is muted.

AD1980 codec with Kernel310.

Thx!
Old 30 August 2023, 02:05   #13
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Just remember, you will not hear Amiga sounds from Amithlon with supported audio hardware, you will only hear AHI sounds.

If you can hear the audio beep in AHI when testing, to hear Amiga sounds you need to use newbaer.lha from aminet. Read the directions for how to configure it with the audio device ID you have configured in AHI. You run this and it routes Amiga audio through the AHI system, giving you the audio the Amiga chips would normally produce. However, when it is running you won't get AHI audio, ie. games or tools that produce audio through the AHI system. Stop puhderbaer when you want to use AHI. Newbaer on Aminet is only an update to part of PuhDerBaer which should be on your SYS: vol from installing Amithlon (I think).

For my Soundblaster, the device ID in AHI is 0x1e0002 and I use 44100Hz Frequency.
You would run
baer 0x1e0002 44100
which would redirect Amiga generated audio to the AHI device 0x1e0002 @ 44100Hz.
Control-C to exit to allow AHI audio tools to run.
Old 30 August 2023, 07:04   #14
dr.zeissler

I know, I tested all three possibilities (Amithlon - mono, stereo, and stereo ++ (....01 / ....05 / ...07).
I hear nothing, no beep and no AHI redirect sound in demos via bear .....

I'll test the pcilist from Kernel 310 and also post the pciinsmod here. Thx!

Last edited by dr.zeissler; 30 August 2023 at 15:12.
Old 30 August 2023, 07:11   #15
croupier

Quote:

Currently, I have AHI v6.0 installed, and PAULA Stereo ++ selected in the AHI control panel as my output... (I tried the other options already)

Thanks!
In AHI control panel you should see your Amithlon detected sound card...and have that card selected.. Selecting Paula will not work!

It should list it as SB or something with Amithlon in its name....if I recall correctly.

Have you tried installing the AHI version as per SnkBitten's manuals? Never had issues when using that with a supported sound card...
Old 30 August 2023, 07:29   #16
pcotter

There ya go.
Attached Files
File Type: lha AC97mixer21.lha (27.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 30 August 2023, 14:59   #17
dr.zeissler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcotter View Post
There ya go.
Thx, I will check that.

No I did not install AHI6 all of my machines with SB128pci and AC97 (different machine) worked without AHI6 but it is an additional option to check.

Thx!
Old 30 August 2023, 15:11   #18
dr.zeissler

Quote:
Originally Posted by croupier View Post
In AHI control panel you should see your Amithlon detected sound card...and have that card selected.. Selecting Paula will not work!

It should list it as SB or something with Amithlon in its name....if I recall correctly.

Have you tried installing the AHI version as per SnkBitten's manuals? Never had issues when using that with a supported sound card...
This was no my question, this was indeed a historical question from someone else anno 2009!
Old 30 August 2023, 19:48   #19
dr.zeissler

ok, I don't get it yet. I think I did everything right als on other installations that worked, but not on this one.

KERNEL310 drivers 0.90. => still no Soundoutput.

I took a screenshot!

What I did since yesterday:
- changend the "bear" to "new bear" because bear had bugs on the channels.

What I did not yet:
- changed to AHI6 because I did not need it on any other machine, even with other AC97 chipset-audio.
- AC97mixer (I copied it to floppy, but no floppysupport on amithlon. I installed arack-attack, but no automounting for installed USB-Sticks...I think I have to burn a CD to get the files into the installed amithon)
- PCILIST requires a ixeemu...lib48 or above...

Everything else you find in the screenshot.
I can not put my SB128 in that machine..no slot free it must work with the AD1980 onboard an Kernel3 or 4.

Still not installed catweasel mk4plus...that's for later...first I must have sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	80082  
Old 30 August 2023, 19:49   #20
croupier

Yes......just figured it out....