English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 May 2014, 04:38   #1
eebuckeye

Creating new HD image on PC for Win UAE problem

I am trying to create a 16GB hard drive image on my PC that I can use as an Amiga drive with partitions for the OS and then other files (WHDLOAD, etc).

Here are the steps I have been doing using Win UAE 2.7.0:

1) I click "Add Hardfile"
2) Put 16384 for MB in the 'New hard disk image file" (I am installing OS3.9 which I believe has no problem with drives >4GB).
3) Click 'Create' and the choose a location on my PC. I can see this file has been created.
4) Type dh0 for the device name after the path was verified to be correct in the hardfile settings window.
5) Click 'ok' and leave the OFS/FFS/RDB option.

I boot OS3.9 using the emergency boot disk and everything appears ok but I do not see dh0: on my WB screen. Obviously I need to see this so I can partition and format the 'drive' to perform the installation.

Thank you!
Old 05 May 2014, 07:06   #2
vorpal86

I'm new here but I had the same problem. Now I'm making HDF files correctly.

1 - Be sure that "uaehf.device" is set. (SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device) in the tool types of HDToolbox inside your emulated Amiga. (Select Icon > Information > Tool Types. Change it then save.

2 - Open HDToolBox (When it opens it will probably alert you devices have been added) and your drive should be there for partitioning and formatting. Be sure to save any changes you make.

3 - Select your drive in the list > Change Drive Type > Define New > Read Configuration

So basically, make sure the tool that you use has a tool type referring to uaehf.device. I actually just created a 16gb HDF file and it's ready to use inside winUae Amiga os3.1.

I hope that helps.. It may be wise to have the HDToolBox read/write so you can add that entry. You can then adjust the HDF and create the partitions you need.
Old 05 May 2014, 09:07   #3
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Hi guys see my cwb3.9 guide in my sig
Old 05 May 2014, 19:34   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

2.7.0 has a bug that prevents empty (unformatted) partition harddrives from mounting.
Old 05 May 2014, 22:59   #5
eebuckeye

Hm.. I added uaehf.device and HDTOOLS does still not see it (I can use this method all the time with no problem to see CF drives).

Attached are screenshots.. am I missing something on the hard drive properties? I tried removing DH0 and it did not make any difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	39904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	39905  
Old 05 May 2014, 23:02   #6
eebuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
2.7.0 has a bug that prevents empty (unformatted) partition harddrives from mounting.
Interesting... anyway to get around that assuming I did things correctly in my screenshots above?
Old 06 May 2014, 03:26   #7
vorpal86

Try placing "0" in the Surfaces, Sectors and Reserved fields of the HDF properties leaving 512 in the block size. Restart/reboot the emulation. Then run Hdtoolbox and see if it's there.

Edit
I've noticed if you do this it's then possible for HDToolbox to Read configuration automatically.

Last edited by vorpal86; 06 May 2014 at 05:05.
Old 06 May 2014, 10:45   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebuckeye View Post
Interesting... anyway to get around that assuming I did things correctly in my screenshots above?
No, just use any other version to format it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpal86 View Post
Try placing "0" in the Surfaces, Sectors and Reserved fields of the HDF properties leaving 512 in the block size. Restart/reboot the emulation. Then run Hdtoolbox and see if it's there.

Edit
I've noticed if you do this it's then possible for HDToolbox to Read configuration automatically.
Why not?

(also, click "RDB mode" button if you want "real" harddrive emulation, not partition, do not try to manually edit fields)
Old 06 May 2014, 19:52   #9
JimDrew

I have a problem with v2.8.0. I can select a hardfile after creating it and it works fine as long as RDB support is not enabled. If it is, it doesn't matter if it is configured as SCSI0, IDE0, or UAE, it never shows up in HDToolBox (with either uaehf.device or scsi.device). So, I make and use normal hardfiles, but I can not make or use hardfiles that are RDB based.
Old 06 May 2014, 20:04   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try moving the RDB hardfile to first position in hardfiles panel.
Old 06 May 2014, 22:27   #11
JimDrew

Yep, that worked. Thanks, Toni!
Old 07 May 2014, 09:23   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"UAE" usually needs to be near the top because not all hd partitioning utilities like gaps between unit numbers or weird units that return error codes (directory filesystems before real drives)

IDE not working: mismatched KS ROM vs hardware. Chipset extra not set to correct hardware model.

SCSI not working: some expansion SCSI controller needs to be configured too (or A4000T model). GUI won't (yet) complain if non-existing device is selected.