English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12 June 2019, 02:27   #21
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Never mind. No good will come of this. Consider this post deleted.
Maybe a computer forum isn't the place. Maybe it is. But dont back down just because your point (which is VERY valid in my opinion) is challenged.

That's how the vocal minority beats everyone else into submission. And I'm over it tbh!

A debate, so long as it remains civil, is always a good thing.
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 12 June 2019, 11:32   #22
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Maybe a computer forum isn't the place. Maybe it is. But dont back down just because your point (which is VERY valid in my opinion) is challenged.

That's how the vocal minority beats everyone else into submission. And I'm over it tbh!

A debate, so long as it remains civil, is always a good thing.
This has nothing to do with backing down. My original point still stands and everyone can read it. And yes, I'd say debate is always a good thing and in real life I normally won't back down.

But... This forum's rules say we shouldn't discuss politics and I respect that - this is an Amiga forum, we should be talking about retro stuff

Simply put: I can't properly explain why I feel the notion that certain ideas can't be challenged is such a bad idea, without going into details about a pretty dark part of human history and I don't feel doing so respects the wishes of the forum owners.

So I won't.
roondar is offline  
Old 12 June 2019, 23:49   #23
xanderbeanz
Registered User

xanderbeanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 144
I’ll just quickly share my viewpoint with no mallace.

I am Autistic and part of the LGBT community.

I have been treated very badly most of my life for these two reasons, with many unkind words and actions against me, despite me being civil and friendly. I am a mental health worker, giving back to society, also.

All that social progress does, and that includes political correctness (which is actually just a perjerative term for “treating people with respect”) allows people like me to not live in pain and humiliation any more.

I’m sure there was a dyslexic black kid who was crying at seeing that character on Dr Who, “Mommy! Look! Someone LIKE ME on TV!”

All we want is equality. Straight white neurotypical people have had all the privilege and fun for far too long.
xanderbeanz is offline  
Old 13 June 2019, 07:06   #24
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
This has nothing to do with backing down. My original point still stands and everyone can read it. And yes, I'd say debate is always a good thing and in real life I normally won't back down.

But... This forum's rules say we shouldn't discuss politics and I respect that - this is an Amiga forum, we should be talking about retro stuff

Simply put: I can't properly explain why I feel the notion that certain ideas can't be challenged is such a bad idea, without going into details about a pretty dark part of human history and I don't feel doing so respects the wishes of the forum owners.

So I won't.
Yes I know and I hear you. Point well made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I’ll just quickly share my viewpoint with no mallace.

I am Autistic and part of the LGBT community.

I have been treated very badly most of my life for these two reasons, with many unkind words and actions against me, despite me being civil and friendly. I am a mental health worker, giving back to society, also.

All that social progress does, and that includes political correctness (which is actually just a perjerative term for “treating people with respect”) allows people like me to not live in pain and humiliation any more.

I’m sure there was a dyslexic black kid who was crying at seeing that character on Dr Who, “Mommy! Look! Someone LIKE ME on TV!”

All we want is equality. Straight white neurotypical people have had all the privilege and fun for far too long.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

To add some counter perspective, "most" people who are sick of PC speak being rammed down our throats are not against equality, they are FOR equality, which includes the right to present a counter opinion on ANY topic. Otherwise, it's not equality.

It's like, (and I'm being careful here), not being allowed to use colour of skin to describe someone, while I am allowed to mention the colour of their hair, or the colour of the clothes they were wearing.

That imho, is one example of PC gone wrong.

To go back to the topic of Dr Who, I have no issue with a script being written in which Dr Who regenerates as a women. In fact, why was this never done before? It's a BRILLIANT idea. (as a story, making good on the regeneration ability of the Dr, which has been there since the first actor transition).

BUT...if it is written into the script PRIMARILY to push a political / social agenda, then I take issue with it.

Let entertainment be just that. Entertainment.
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 16 June 2019, 16:46   #25
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 45
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
People who ignore others because they quite correctly point to the excesses of modern society are not worth interacting with, so that's no great loss.

Nothing is above criticism and the notion that ever growing political correctness can't/shouldn't be criticized is one of the scariest developments of the 21st century.

Edit: just to be clear here, what I mean is not that all forms of political correctness are wrong, but there are elements of it that definitely are. And such things should be able to be discussed, or we risk actually going down the Orwellian route of thought crime.

Completely agree


Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

To add some counter perspective, "most" people who are sick of PC speak being rammed down our throats are not against equality, they are FOR equality, which includes the right to present a counter opinion on ANY topic. Otherwise, it's not equality.

It's like, (and I'm being careful here), not being allowed to use colour of skin to describe someone, while I am allowed to mention the colour of their hair, or the colour of the clothes they were wearing.

That imho, is one example of PC gone wrong.

To go back to the topic of Dr Who, I have no issue with a script being written in which Dr Who regenerates as a women. In fact, why was this never done before? It's a BRILLIANT idea. (as a story, making good on the regeneration ability of the Dr, which has been there since the first actor transition).

BUT...if it is written into the script PRIMARILY to push a political / social agenda, then I take issue with it.

Let entertainment be just that. Entertainment.

Agreed again
blade002 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 23:43   #26
volvo_0ne
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 359
I guess I'd better reply.........

My original observations were (are) based on the previous scheme of the show.

I don't really care wether you are gay, straight, Australian (See what I did there?), Autistic or look like a Sontaran.

I still believe that the latest Dr Who episodes are simply a compromise so not to upset anyone.... Women, Ethnics, LGBT, Bradley Walsh, The BBC.

In MY opinion the storylines are garbage and the acting is poor and predictable, which is probably why they are not making any more episodes in the near future.

So there :P
volvo_0ne is offline  
Old Today, 04:08   #27
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 57
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
I guess I'd better reply.........

My original observations were (are) based on the previous scheme of the show.

I don't really care wether you are gay, straight, Australian (See what I did there?), Autistic or look like a Sontaran.

I still believe that the latest Dr Who episodes are simply a compromise so not to upset anyone.... Women, Ethnics, LGBT, Bradley Walsh, The BBC.

In MY opinion the storylines are garbage and the acting is poor and predictable, which is probably why they are not making any more episodes in the near future.

So there :P
The issue is that you *WILL* offend somebody no matter what so I say, OFFEND EVERYBODY so nobody gets left out
jmmijo is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A4000 dead help find a reliable doctor Demetris74 support.Hardware 2 15 February 2016 09:35
The Unusual Case of Doctor Strange Asle HOL data problems 1 06 July 2010 01:16
Unsual Case of Dr. Strange / Return of Doctor Strange killergorilla HOL contributions 1 12 July 2007 16:08
My drives need a doctor Wisp support.Hardware 10 20 March 2007 15:35
Found -> Mad Doctor (C64) (Was: A game like Frankenstein) Raistlin Majere Looking for a game name ? 8 23 March 2004 12:32

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.06681 seconds with 14 queries