English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 17 April 2002, 10:20   #21
Big-Byte
Long time member

Thanks for the upload Bloodwych. I use 'Amiga in a box' normally but I'll give your setup a try.

@Fissuras - check your PM
Old 17 April 2002, 10:29   #22
fabbroz

Wink uehhhhh

where i find this HD file?...

Old 17 April 2002, 10:37   #23
Miggy2TheMax

Re: Classical Amiga WB in a 10MB zip

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych

..... [snip]

Have I sold you? I know many of you have built much better Workbenches, but this one is how I like it - the classical 3.0! It has everything I need.

It works a treat!
It's fantastic!
It's most excellent!
It's hard core retro!
It's the number one!
It's non-M$
Ok, I'll shutup now............... [/B]

You've sold me !!! .. classical is the way I like it!! I can't wait to get my mits on that.

Excellent work Bloodwych!
Old 17 April 2002, 10:59   #24
Big-Byte
Long time member

If I get time, when I get home tonight I will rar the file up and split it into 2meg chunks then upload it to the zone. If thats ok with RCK?
Old 17 April 2002, 11:56   #25
Bloodwych

^^^ I was thinking the same thing BigByte, or everyone who reads this thread will be bugging you for FTP access.

I'd do it myself, but I'm not uploading 10MB on a 56K again anytime soon!

PS the chunks can be 3MB in size in the new almighty ZONE 2!!!!
Old 17 April 2002, 19:04   #26
RCK
Administrator

if the pack is really good, I can upload the 10Mb file to the goodies server section.
BigByte ftp seems down atm, can someone send me the file ?
Old 17 April 2002, 19:55   #27
Big-Byte
Long time member

ftp back up!!

And Ive uploaded the file into the zone.
Old 17 April 2002, 20:41   #28
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
if the pack is really good, I can upload the 10Mb file to the goodies server section.
How about testing this for some days and suggest improvements (if there are some), so that it will get into the goodies section when it´s done ?
Old 17 April 2002, 20:46   #29
oldpx

But the pack has copyrighted files from Amiga Workbench 3.0. I personally don't care about whether it's legal or not but hosting it permanently might cause troubles don't you think?

Remember AIAB, it requires you to copy your own files from Workbench ADFs during installation.

Old 17 April 2002, 21:02   #30
RCK
Administrator

Of course it will cause trouble !
I will only host one legal pack here, please improve / upgrade your kit first guys
Old 17 April 2002, 21:14   #31
Djay
95th User

thx to Bloodwych, indeed a classic looking WB
thx to Big-Byte, for upping to the Zone
tnx to RCK, for making a GREAT forum
Old 17 April 2002, 22:27   #32
Bloodwych

Thanx to those who said, er, thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan

How about testing this for some days and suggest improvements (if there are some), so that it will get into the goodies section when it´s done ?
Yes let's here some criticism/improvements, I'm thick skinned you know! I meant what I said about making this a project.

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg

But the pack has copyrighted files from Amiga Workbench 3.0. I personally don't care about whether it's legal or not but hosting it permanently might cause troubles don't you think?

Remember AIAB, it requires you to copy your own files from Workbench ADFs during installation.
? [/B]

I never intended this to be a public release or hosted permanently on the net. In fact it was only at BigBytes request that I uploaded the thing in the first place or it'd still be sat here on my HD (and CDRW).

Like burseg said, probably best just to keep this temp in the zone or for the EAB members who qualify as regulars on BigBytes private FTP. After all, I know you lot own WB3.0 after buying an A1200. I know I do

If someone converts it to make it legal for the public who don't own WB then fine , we can stick it in the goodies section.
Old 17 April 2002, 23:08   #33
RetroMan

I´m still testing and it´s great I will try to make an install-version of your files without the workbench ...... let´s see
Old 17 April 2002, 23:30   #34
Bloodwych

I've added a few notes to the Welcome! readme, but I'll point them out again here.

Don't know if you guys read the Welcome! text or how familiar you are with ToolsDaemon, but don't forget you can click on an icon, right click and do the following:

Select Packmaster and unzip it if it's an achieve.
Change its properties quickly and easily (including default tools) by selecting TTManager.
Select ED and edit it if it's a script.
Select Multiview and view it if it's standard text/picture

Without selecting an icon, the programs will just open as normal.

Using ToolsPrefs (again under the tools menu) you can customize these features further and add different programs/games. Imagine launching your favourite games using a right click

Also Icon Image under the tools menu supports direct drag and drop of multiple icons for updating them to match the workbench WITHOUT changing their properties (a good thing). A selection of .info files for other programs can be found in the icon drawer.

PS if you're wondering what a particular app. does, the readme's are in the locale drawer.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 18 April 2002 at 23:50.
Old 19 April 2002, 17:23   #35
RetroMan

One thing I´m really missing is ADF2FMS os similar prog to mount adf´s
Old 19 April 2002, 17:34   #36
Bloodwych

I'm about to release another version with some huge improvements, but still the same look.

I'll try and add that utility. Any other requests?
Old 19 April 2002, 20:02   #37
RetroMan

Yep, there are some *.GUIDE files on your HD File but no amigaguide to view them
Old 19 April 2002, 20:14   #38
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Yep, there are some *.GUIDE files on your HD File but no amigaguide to view them
That's because I change them to multiview every time! The one's still using amigaguide I mustn’t have read. Amigaguide is the old multiview for WB2.0.

Just select the icon, right click and change the default tool from amigaguide to multiview. TTManager can also be used to do this quickly.
Old 21 April 2002, 18:55   #39
Bloodwych

New Classic WB version now complete!

How are you guys who own WB3.0 finding the classic WB?

If you liked that version, you're going to love this one!

I've been working hard to create the ultimate “classic” (ie still feels like the original) Workbench 3.0 for low end Amiga 1200's and now I'm ready with release 2. If any of you guys have ideas for improvements then please speak up!

New features added:

*Scalos run GUI (found it uses NO MORE RAM) adds LOADS of new features without any loss of speed.

*FULL MUI support

*Spent hours fully configuring the popup menu (starts off blank). It now has some real power! Slightly different configuration than you’ll be used too but easy to master. On this menu there are full shell arguments, links to my very own iconX scripts to perform custom actions and a few neat surprises!

*Separate popup menus for Disk icons, tools/project icons, drawer icons and window icons each customised with some features I think you'll find useful!

*Full ADF->ADZ (ie Gzip), ADZ->ADF and ADFcontents->HDdump support built into the popup menu! Just select an adf/adz file, right click and away you go NO need for virtual floppy mounting, the ADF contents are written straight to the temp directory and placed in their own drawer! (hope you enjoy Retro!)

*New , much more powerful format command added. Now you can create installed disks, cancel verify for increased speed and much more!

*New feature rich text editor!

*Icon updating has now been made much easier. Select “update” from the icon menu and both the update program AND a window containing the default icons open at once! Select the source icon, drag N drop the destination icons onto the update window (multiple selections allowed) to keep everything looking good.

*Killnewicons has also been added to the popup menu and configured via a script to get rid of ALL new icons on the hard drive at once so they don’t spoil this classic “.info” WB.

*Hdfloppy emulation in RAM so you can create a disk there first before copying it to a real floppy. A much more efficient way to work.

*Open all important drawers from the popup menu. Takes a little time to get used to but works out much better as you don’t have to search for icons under windows.

*More features I’ve probably forgotten.

Even with these added features, the ZIP is only 11.4 MB!!!!!!!

Notes:

Dopus still needs fully configuring to add more option buttons and usability (any offers?)

If you place the mouse on the title (mem) bar and press the right button, you’ll find a tools menu. This is to keep compatibility with programs that add themselves here. I’ve taken the opportunity of adding useful options to this menu including help and prefs etc so use this if you fancy customising the WB some more!!!

Delete works slightly different:

To delete multiple files, either right click on a WINDOW and use “select contents” followed by “delete contents” or select the files you want to delete as normal, right click on a WINDOW and select “delete contents” If you select multiple files and use the single “delete” option by right clicking on the files rather than the window, then only one file will be deleted.

If anyone's reading this and wondering where you can download this classic WB then I'm afraid to inform you that at the moment it's for private use only (BB's server) - it's not a public release. There is no way to know if you own the original WB3.0 so until a version is created without the copyright files (perhaps some time in the future) no public release will be made.

Enjoy – hope this is useful! I’d appreciate some comments/improvements and also some additions (if you guys have time) so we can improve this classic WB together. Someone configuring Dopus would be useful. Just add/edit whatever you think is needed, zip the WB and upload for us all to enjoy.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 21 April 2002 at 21:51.
Old 21 April 2002, 21:52   #40
Bloodwych

BigBytes FTP is down at the moment so I'll upload whenever he's back up.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 21 April 2002 at 21:58.