English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 20 September 2018, 01:53   #1
Leandro Jardim

Tweaks for speeding-up Windows 10?

I think would be a good idea to write a thread with a list of all the tweaks that could be done to the Windows 10 configuration, for making it run faster for executing emulators and games in general. What do you think guys?
Old 20 September 2018, 01:58   #2
Foebane

What Windows 10 configuration? I just want it to stop reporting Demoscene prods as viruses and preventing them from running!
Old 20 September 2018, 02:01   #3
deladrevoc
Not enough time

Ssd
Old 20 September 2018, 03:30   #4
Leandro Jardim

You can rest assured that I am not talking about registry tweaks or dubious optimization programs. Of course not, in case you do not know.

For example, I've disabled running applications in the background. It's things like that I'm talking about.

No one needs to be stupid to say that the idea is not good. If you do not know how to talk, you should not share your opinions with anyone.

And also, do not behave that way because of what I said in this thread. I'm glad that what I said upset you, although this was not my intention, I can assure you. But if someone does not know how to learn from others he can not be happy with himself.
Old 20 September 2018, 04:36   #5
Gorf

Windows 10?
Who does use such a obscure operating system?
Old 20 September 2018, 07:45   #6
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
You can rest assured that I am not talking about registry tweaks or dubious optimization programs. Of course not, in case you do not know.

For example, I've disabled running applications in the background. It's things like that I'm talking about.

No one needs to be stupid to say that the idea is not good. If you do not know how to talk, you should not share your opinions with anyone.

And also, do not behave that way because of what I said in this thread. I'm glad that what I said upset you, although this was not my intention, I can assure you. But if someone does not know how to learn from others he can not be happy with himself.
Who are you addressing?
Old 20 September 2018, 08:45   #7
nobody

Windows 10 is crap, Microsoft jumps from one mistake to another after Windows 8 "retard edition-imagine your PC is a cellphone", which was decent except the stupid start menu. Never understood why they switch OS style every 2 years. My OS of choice would be Windows 7 for dual core and 8.1 for newer with a classic shell for start menu. I have seen 10 running on a netbook MUCH slower (like 2 times?) than my netbook with 7 even though it's newer hardware lol. I guess you'll need all the ram (fast) you can get and some really light weight antivirus, browser, a fast Nvidia and upper shelf cpu, SSD etc.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:44   #8
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Who are you addressing?
It was for you and deladrevoc. If you want you can criticize and say some truths for me, I accept. I speak this with humility.

The post of you two was funny, but I did not know that Windows 10 had a reputation so bad. That was the problem.

You two did everything right. The wrong was me, really.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:46   #9
Daedalus

Retrogaming?
Old 20 September 2018, 10:49   #10
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Retrogaming?
Sorry, I do not understand, what did you mean?
Old 20 September 2018, 10:56   #11
britelite

Quote:
I just want it to stop reporting Demoscene prods as viruses and preventing them from running!
Store the demos in a separate directory and whitelist it and it's sub-directiories in your antivirus software.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:58   #12
mcgeezer

Windows 10 is microsofts best OS to date.

As someone mentioned, put an SSD along with 8gb ram in your kit and it will fly.

Be sure to disable all the privacy leaking crap though.
Old 20 September 2018, 11:13   #13
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
What Windows 10 configuration? I just want it to stop reporting Demoscene prods as viruses and preventing them from running!
Oh, you just wanted to really talk about your computer!

Yes, I understood what you mean. I've had horrible problems with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but with Windows 10 I've never had (yet...)

Sorry, I did not understand you mainly because English is not my native language and I never did a real course. Phrases in English seem to have a different intonation than in Portuguese for me, precisely because of this...

What a shame!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 20 September 2018 at 11:21.
Old 20 September 2018, 11:45   #14
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Store the demos in a separate directory and whitelist it and it's sub-directiories in your antivirus software.
I've been using Conduit to download and run the PC demos, and I had no problems weeks ago, before I reinstalled Windows and then there was a big update. Now, Windows Defender is blocking some demos, simply because it interprets some of the code as being a virus, which it isn't. I'll look into disabling Windows Defender, it's no big deal, I just thought I'd mention it above. I don't normally use antivirus software, I'm careful what I click on (usually)

Quote:
Oh, you just wanted to really talk about your computer!

Yes, I understood what you mean. I've had horrible problems with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but with Windows 10 I've never had (yet...)

Sorry, I did not understand you mainly because English is not my native language and I never did a real course. Phrases in English seem to have a different intonation than in Portuguese for me, precisely because of this...

What a shame!
I had a sublime experience with Windows 7 (never tried Vista, jumped straight from XP), but Windows 10 is a mixed bag for me.
Old 20 September 2018, 11:49   #15
trixster
Guru Meditating

Install Windows 7
Old 20 September 2018, 12:03   #16
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Install Windows 7
To go from Windows 10 back to Windows 7... hmm...

Is 7 available for cheap prices these days?
Old 20 September 2018, 12:16   #17
Valken

Install Windows 7 Pro, set it to classic (windows 2000) mode. Flies on my PC without all that bloatware. I don't play a single game that needs DX12 so no worries for me.
Old 20 September 2018, 13:26   #18
Daedalus

Quote:
Sorry, I do not understand, what did you mean?
You started a thread about Windows 10 in a forum dedicated to retrogaming. It's been moved to a more appropriate location now (Off-Topic - Technical), so it's all good.
Old 20 September 2018, 14:12   #19
Retro1234
Bo Bo

On my rather crappy cheap Laptop anything over build 1607 just kills it, just to slow.
Also I heard that I might be better off with the 32bit version as they run the same but 32bit version requires less ram.

Using Android Studio or BlueStacks any kind of Microsoft upgrade or similar running in the background would just bring it to a halt
Old 20 September 2018, 14:57   #20
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Windows 10 is microsofts best OS to date.

As someone mentioned, put an SSD along with 8gb ram in your kit and it will fly.

Be sure to disable all the privacy leaking crap though.
Quoted for truth.

Makes me laught all these people clinging on to XP and windows 7, claming windows 10 is the devil.

BY FAR MS's best OS. Seems like people have a problem upgrading from version to version sometime, but use Windows media creation tool and clean install if thats the case.