English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 June 2018, 14:34   #21
Foebane

DamienD, do your config files contain Host settings as well as Hardware? What if you needed to change something in Host? You'd have to alter them all!

I know you use Notepad++ or something like that on multiple files, but there must be a way of saving separate Host and Hardware settings? I think there is, but can someone clarify?
Old 26 June 2018, 14:42   #22
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
DamienD, do your config files contain Host settings as well as Hardware? What if you needed to change something in Host? You'd have to alter them all!

I know you use Notepad++ or something like that on multiple files, but there must be a way of saving separate Host and Hardware settings? I think there is, but can someone clarify?
Of course each configuration file contains Host and Hardware settings.

Why would I need to adjust Host settings and then change across all configurations? Everything is already setup exactly how I want it before saving the configuration file...

...but if I did for some reason want to change something across all configs then as you say I would use Notepad++ or UltraEdit to make the changes in seconds.
Old 26 June 2018, 14:59   #23
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Why would I need to adjust Host settings and then change across all configurations? Everything is already setup exactly how I want it before saving the configuration file...
The trouble is, I'm not this way inclined, I might want to try something different, and the thought of changing config files directly in a text editor horrifies me.

When I look at the top of a config file, I see this:

Code:
config_hardware=true
config_host=true
Either one of these can be false, but what does it mean? If the relevant part is false, WinUAE ignores what's there?
Old 26 June 2018, 15:44   #24
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
The trouble is, I'm not this way inclined, I might want to try something different, and the thought of changing config files directly in a text editor horrifies me.
Yeah, scary stuff man

...but what's stopping you from using the GUI?

The point here is to have a totally optimised configuration file without having to read notes / adjust everytime in order to suit different demos / needs... you can also then add title / screenshots instead of having to remember things by name only.

Regarding changing options inside config files; again, I never really need to do this though as everything is setup perfectly to begin with before saving the configuration file

Anyway, bored of this now. You're never going to change the way you work and that's fair enough... from outsiders looking in at your process though it seems like a real mission and not very efficient.

Quote:
When I look at the top of a config file, I see this:

Code:
config_hardware=true
config_host=true
Either one of these can be false, but what does it mean? If the relevant part is false, WinUAE ignores what's there?
...I don't know, not sure what every GUI option / setting equates to in the configuration file... try changing and see what happens I guess.

Last edited by DamienD; 26 June 2018 at 16:38.
Old 26 June 2018, 16:42   #25
Foebane

Have a look at the two screenshots of my WB - this is what greets me when I boot it up:

"2" on the far left is my A1200 configuration, based on the Quickstart but with lots of memory. All the "2" items run fine on that configuration, but bundled together are those items ("2+") that require a different config, and it tells me exactly what I need to change, ie. "030 882 8x" means "68030 with 68882 and 8x CPU frequency".

"4" is my high-end A4000 configuration, running at +500% CPU speed.
"+100" and "+200" mean I throttle down that CPU speed because it causes problems for those demos that list them under "4".
"060" is a 68060, "FPUmc" means "floating point unit most compatible", and "SHR" is SuperHires.

When I can see exactly what I need to run a program, then it's easy to implement, especially when there's a few of them. With my system, it's a case of pick a config and then view anything under that config.

I find this my preferred method of juggling configurations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	61
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	58662   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.png
Views:	54
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	58663  
Old 26 June 2018, 17:08   #26
DamienD
Global Moderator

OMG, what a mess... and you still have to re-adjust settings for each demo anytime you want to watch it

...if that's what suits you though then who am I to argue.

Crazy though IMHO; you do like to do things the hard way Foebane
Old 26 June 2018, 17:23   #27
Foebane

Quote:
OMG, what a mess... and you still have to re-adjust settings for each demo anytime you want to watch it
Not for the vast majority, I just double-click on the necessary configuration.

I think I know what you mean, but for me, it depends if I'm in an A500 mood, or an A1200 mood, or fancy some A4000.
Old 26 June 2018, 18:07   #28
DamienD
Global Moderator

I just noticed something else with your screenshots in post #25...

So besides having to read notes / adjust settings, you also have .LHA files so would need to extract them before watching the demo.

You're nuts man
Old 26 June 2018, 18:51   #29
Foebane

Quote:
I just noticed something else with your screenshots in post #25...

So besides having to read notes / adjust settings, you also have .LHA files so would need to extract them before watching the demo.

You're nuts man
I've already tried HDFs, I find this current method more practical when it comes to a folder filled with .LHA (or other) files which may be added or removed constantly: I click on the demo on the left, extract to the right (in temporary RAM disk or a "Downloads" folder in Windows if I don't have the Amiga memory) and then find and run the executable.

If anything, .ZIP files where the executables are not runnable (without going to Protect) are a nuisance.

OK, so it takes time to extract and run, but I'm used to floppy disk images for demos and waiting for them to load anyway, so the principle is the same. It's like waiting in anticipation for the show to start.

Besides, it's like someone getting up to have to remove a record from its sleeve, place it on the turntable and (the hardest part) place the needle on the right spot. I'm a bit old-fashioned like that.
Old 04 July 2018, 08:21   #30
Foebane

Quote:
So besides having to read notes / adjust settings
DamienD, you've convinced me that rather than adjusting the settings as I described above, I should at least put them into their own configs, so I have done so. I'm not going to configure every single demo into their own config, but I can at least add "deviations from the normal main configs" as they arise. They've already proven quite convenient for me.

So in a way, I've met you half-way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UAE.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	58741  
Old 04 July 2018, 08:37   #31
Hewitson

Wow...

A simple 68000/010 A500 config and a 1200/060 config should generally be all that's required. The list of configurations pictured above is nothing short of absolutely insane.
Old 04 July 2018, 10:30   #32
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Wow...

A simple 68000/010 A500 config and a 1200/060 config should generally be all that's required. The list of configurations pictured above is nothing short of absolutely insane.
My high-end configuration is based on a 68040 for compatibility's sake. Are you telling me that all I need, in both real hardware AND emulation, is a 68060? What if some stuff doesn't run on a 68060?

Like, for example, one demo (Paranoid by Rebels) will run in silence on the 68040, but have sound if I select the 68030 - but it will run fine on 68060? I have to admit, I've never tried.

EDIT: Just tried it - silence.

Last edited by Foebane; 04 July 2018 at 10:36.
Old 04 July 2018, 12:05   #33
Hewitson

I've just tested Paranoid on FS-UAE with both 040 and 060. Sound works fine.
Old 04 July 2018, 12:17   #34
Foebane

Quote:
I've just tested Paranoid on FS-UAE with both 040 and 060. Sound works fine.
Aren't there quite a few differences between FS-UAE and WinUAE?

Anyway, you can try this configuration of mine that I know does not work on WinUAE.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Amiga H4 A4000 Hi.uae (11.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 04 July 2018, 12:29   #35
britelite

Quote:
Anyway, you can try this configuration of mine that I know does not work on WinUAE.
In general, when watching AGA-demos it's better to emulate (or use in case of real hardware) an A1200 than an A4000.
Old 04 July 2018, 12:29   #36
Hewitson

I attempted to try this in WinUAE via Wine, but I was unsuccessful in getting the sound emulation working. It keeps turning itself off.
Old 04 July 2018, 13:14   #37
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
In general, when watching AGA-demos it's better to emulate (or use in case of real hardware) an A1200 than an A4000.
I've heard of heavily-upgraded A1200s up to 68060, but for a long time I assumed that the A4000 was the go-to machine for high-end processors - it seems I was wrong, and that using an A4000 model may actually cause problems.

So is the Kickstart ROM the main difference between them? Or are there hardware differences, too?

In any case, I don't recall many readme.txts that said that an A4000 was required, only the processor and memory and AGA requirements.

Looks like I'm gonna have to reconfigure a lot of things.
Old 04 July 2018, 13:21   #38
britelite

Quote:
I've heard of heavily-upgraded A1200s up to 68060, but for a long time I assumed that the A4000 was the go-to machine for high-end processors - it seems I was wrong, and that using an A4000 model may actually cause problems.
Well, it's pretty safe to say that the majority of AGA-demos are coded on an expanded A1200.
Old 04 July 2018, 13:48   #39
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Well, it's pretty safe to say that the majority of AGA-demos are coded on an expanded A1200.
Can I use a 68060 only for the expanded A1200? I also haven't quite mastered when to use Chipset cycle-exact or when to just JIT, it's just complicated. However, I think I'm overcomplicating things for myself.

I'm not at home at the moment but I'm going to start experimenting when I get back.
Old 04 July 2018, 19:00   #40
Foebane

Quote:
Wow...

Any chance I can have a look at your 1200/060 config, please?