English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 21 July 2012, 13:49   #1
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Requesting support for using save states with RTG based games.

Right now, all games that I run with RTG goes black when I load a state. The game is still active in the background, controls works etc, it's just that the picture goes black when loading a save state. There's nothing in WinUAE that seems to make this work, I've pretty much tried all settings (latest and older versions of WinUAE too).

There are times where you can trick the screen to appear again, it's if you save state right before the screen in the game is about to update. If I load a save state then, it's black, but when the part comes where the game screen updates, like you save at an options screen, then load the save state so it's black, then hit fire to start the game, the transition effect the game uses to go from one screen to another reveals the picture again, although a bit buggy looking, but looks OK after another screen update.

If a fix for this would come, all those RTG based games like Genetic Species, Quake 1, Hexen, Heretic, Napalm, Payback etc could be recorded. I know they can be recorded now, but it's not fun if save states can't be used, and I know some of them doesn't NEED RTG and can run with just plain AGA, but it's not as fast and in some games doesn't unlock all the visuals, like in Bubble Heroes - you get a nicer looking sky and other things in RTG than just AGA.

Hope I made sense with this post and that a fix is possible
Old 21 July 2012, 14:56   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

RTG is sort of supported but it breaks easily and only tested with WB.

Attach 2 state files, use different games.
Old 21 July 2012, 17:23   #3
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Ok, I've upped Stuff.rar to the Zone.

It contains:

Ingame where transition has finished (compressed).uss
Ingame where transition has finished (uncompressed).uss
Ingame with transition (compressed).uss
Ingame with transition (uncompressed).uss

Doom menu (compressed).uss
Doom menu (uncompressed).uss

2.uae

I included the config because I can't load them if I haven't loaded that config first. If I just start WinUAE and load the state, it crashes. Also, you didn't mention if they should compressed or not. Maybe it doesn't matter but included both compressed and uncompressed just in case (maybe you read them with some tool, or maybe just wanted to load them, donno).

Ok, so, the first four save states are from Bubble Heroes. "Ingame with transition", when you load that one, you will see the game and it's all fine, because it's in the process of transitioning to the game with a fade. The "Ingame where transition has finished" is a couple of seconds later when the transition has finished and will just be a black screen instead. You can hit escape after he has said "GO!" to reveal some of the screen, but it's broken. There are two options of YES and NO, which you can't see because of the broken....ness. Accepting YES (left one) will make the game fade and out take you to the game over screen and it's all visible again (because of the fading) without errors. But you probably won't get that far as the game needs to load I think.

The other two save states are of course from Doom. This case is a little bit different because in most games that uses RTG when the screen go black from loading a save state, there's no way to get the picture back. I've taken the save state from the very moment when the game has finished loading (you hear the title screen music), so all you have to do is to press enter 4 times to start the game. First enter will remove the presentation picture and display the menu, second enter will trigger "NEW GAME", third enter will trigger the first episode in the list, and the fourth enter will trigger a difficulty and then the game starts. During all this time, it's totally black of course.

Last edited by hipoonios; 21 July 2012 at 17:30.
Old 21 July 2012, 19:54   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It seems I forgot to save RTG mode palette
I guess I always used truecolor modes when testing..

Palette will be added and some other fixes will be in next beta.
Old 21 July 2012, 20:31   #5
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Old 22 July 2012, 18:59   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Fixed in today's new beta. (Need new state files, missing palette can't appear magically) Also fixes errors if statefile needs 32-bit RAM and current config does not have any configured.

btw, it does not make much sense to have multiple different fast ram types configured at the same time.
Old 22 July 2012, 19:17   #7
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Ye, was gonna mention that about the config, but didn't. I was gonna say something like "don't mind the settings in the config, it's just something I messed around with so it's a mess. It was for testing purposes and not made for these games."