English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 April 2009, 17:01   #421
hitchhikr

That (popular) thread as well as some others (like the ones about the exclusive Atari ST games) still makes me wonder.
I assume they don't appear around here without good reasons and that some people still genuinely wish that all these games would appear on Amiga someday

You know, for a while i toyed with the idea of doing/porting games to the Amiga (500 or cd32) like modern ones in form of "demakes" or porting older arcade games and see if i could do better then Tiertex & co. with much more modern tools and faster computers at my disposal and all that (i even made a specific mame version for that) but after weighting the pros and cons i wondered: why bother ?
If i wanted to do games i could do that on less restrictive platforms which would have much bigger audience, why force players to fire up these antic machines or use winuae (most probably) to play a game that would look better, sound better and surely would have better playing controls on newer platforms without much efforts ?

What would make a game better being played on an Amiga rather than on a PC or a console ?
Old 30 April 2009, 17:07   #422
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhikr View Post
That (popular) thread as well as some others (like the ones about the exclusive Atari ST games) still makes me wonder.
I assume they don't appear around here without good reasons and that some people still genuinely wish that all these games would appear on Amiga someday

You know, for a while i toyed with the idea of doing/porting games to the Amiga (500 or cd32) like modern ones in form of "demakes" or porting older arcade games and see if i could do better then Tiertex & co. with much more modern tools and faster computers at my disposal and all that (i even made a specific mame version for that) but after weighting the pros and cons i wondered: why bother ?
If i wanted to do games i could do that on less restrictive platforms which would have much bigger audience, why force players to fire up these antic machines or use winuae (most probably) to play a game that would look better, sound better and surely would have better playing controls on newer platforms without much efforts ?

What would make a game better being played on an Amiga rather than on a PC or a console ?
Thats very cool did you make any test files?
Theres no real reason to choose Amiga - I would enjoy it though!!
Old 03 May 2009, 21:37   #423
extralife

umm about that hint by bus m8, im sorry to say, but unless that install has been further patched, its not working very well, at least not on my blizzard 1260, but since my a1200 has lost its sound, im happy to report it runs just fine on my a500 lol
Old 03 May 2009, 21:40   #424
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, didn't know that. Maybe you should also report that in one of the WHDLoad problem threads (if you haven't already).
Old 03 May 2009, 23:48   #425
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
What? No Red Alert? It's more fun than C&C you know. :\
I guess no one mentioned Red Alert here because it IS on Amiga, and this is a thread for games that aren't on Amiga.

Here's Red Alert for Amiga - http://aminet.net/package/game/strat...alert-r600-68k
Old 17 May 2009, 09:07   #426
s2325
Zone Friend

Tempestorm - Tempest clone for Amiga:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempestormgame.png
Views:	197
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	21399  
Old 15 June 2009, 13:16   #427
EreWeGo

A lot of games already mentioned, but I would've loved to have seen some of the many Sega Megadrive/Genesis sport games released on the Amiga, eg:

Mutant League Football, Madden series, Triple Play 97, World Series Baseball, NHL Hockey series, Tecmo Super Bowl, Rugby World Cup 95, College Footballs Championship, NFL 94 with Joe Montana...I could list heaps more, but I think you get the idea. A real shame some of these titles weren't released on the miggy, I think they would've worked well.

Old 18 June 2009, 10:05   #428
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhikr View Post

For some people it's a case of 'it could and should have been done' nothing more. To prove a point.

Sure you could write Salamander or Gradius very well on your average PC of today....and the point is? You would show hardly any talent doing that!

Now if someone sat down and created/transferred all the graphics from say Gradius/Nemesis or even better say Gauntlet 1 or 2 and then wrote code that made it near as dammit identical to the original arcade machine that would show...

1. You have extreme talent at converting to similar hardware.
2. Most arcade conversions to the Amiga were pretty dire due to some really sloppy coding (Gauntlet being a perfect example of a stinking turd on a disk)

Old 17 July 2009, 22:54   #429
s2325
Zone Friend

Wings 2: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 August 2009, 00:42   #430
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Playing Dead Space reminded me of [ Show youtube player ]. The game is from 1989, so I really wonder why there is no Amiga version. Damn fine game

Last edited by TCD; 26 August 2009 at 08:59.
Old 26 August 2009, 08:57   #431
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Playing Dead Space reminded my of [ Show youtube player ]. The game is from 1989, so I really wonder why there is no Amiga version. Damn fine game
While i am still a member, this game looks fantastic! Wish i had of known about it back then i would have played it to absolute death!!
Old 26 August 2009, 09:00   #432
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I did with a friend It looks quite simple, but it took us quite some time to get through. Was absolutely worth it though
Old 26 August 2009, 09:03   #433
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I did with a friend It looks quite simple, but it took us quite some time to get through. Was absolutely worth it though
Well i was really into that style of game back then on the C64 so it would have been right up alley Another game i really loved on the C64 which was also released for the Amiga was Mean Streets by Access!
Old 28 August 2009, 09:59   #434
laffer
Zone Friend

Probably mentioned this before but I really wish proper ports of the Sierra VGA games had been released on the Amiga. The VGA game ports they made were some of the worst ports I've seen.

Ideally, I wish well programmed AGA versions would have been released.

EDIT - I just finished Mean Streets for the first time ever a month ago or so. Pretty cool game, I liked it better than the first sequel (I played through all the Tex games).
Old 28 August 2009, 18:34   #435
KevG
Banned

Mutant Zombie Flesh-Eating Chickens From Mars.

This was actually developed but for some reason, never released. Great name though
Old 28 August 2009, 20:36   #436
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
EDIT - I just finished Mean Streets for the first time ever a month ago or so. Pretty cool game, I liked it better than the first sequel (I played through all the Tex games).
I need to finish that game as well sometime.
Old 28 August 2009, 21:16   #437
Akiko

Games I eagerly waited for my CD32, unreleased-

Lost Eden
TFX
Frontier Elite: First Encounters
Extractors: The Hanging Worlds of Zarg
Old 29 August 2009, 01:57   #438
gleng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
Frontier Elite: First Encounters
Oh yeah. It's that and Star Wars Rebellion that made me buy a PC in the end (in 1998?).
Old 03 September 2009, 19:55   #439
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Wings 2: [ Show youtube player ]
Wow that guy has one annoying voice, but then again the music on that thing is pretty dire!

I'm glad it wasn't ported because the only thing we wouldn't get is the mode 7 scaling graphics effects for the dogfights....but we'd still get the crap fx and sound and lame atmosphere
Old 24 September 2009, 02:16   #440
waal

Wings 2 was a big disappointment. What has happened so that Cinemaware did not develop? How low playability and how lack of atmosphere! Even Namco has not been able to make a good achievement.
Definitely the previous game will remain legendary.

And mode 7 is futile. We always had 3D on Amiga.

I want an upgrade, regardless of the platform.

Reading about the Apple II GS on another thread, I realized we never had Sylpheed on Amiga. Could be worth a look.