English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 January 2020, 13:53   #21
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Lemmings are like Millennials. If they're that bloody stupid, let them walk to their friggin doom!
We really need a Lemmings level with a "Safe area to take selfies ahead" sign pointing to a cliff with flames bursting out.
Old 19 January 2020, 16:28   #22
Foebane
Banned

Lemmings was meant to be the "killer app" for Amiga, but it turned out to be so overrated: awful mods, titchy little animations (the Amiga was capable of so much better), difficult playability (making sure the Lemmings are going the right way when applying a skill to them) and just so "cutesy" (I've mentioned this before as being the bane of Amiga gaming).

Then again, nice presentation.
Old 19 January 2020, 17:02   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Lemmings was meant to be the "killer app" for Amiga, but it turned out to be so overrated: awful mods, titchy little animations (the Amiga was capable of so much better), difficult playability (making sure the Lemmings are going the right way when applying a skill to them) and just so "cutesy" (I've mentioned this before as being the bane of Amiga gaming).

Then again, nice presentation.
They were small as a conscious design choice so that you didn't have to scroll the screen area all over the place just to keep tabs on them.

If they were significantly bigger, it would alter how the game plays and make it less playable.

Everything you've criticised Lemmings for, was precisely why it was able to be converted to loads of different formats.
Old 19 January 2020, 17:13   #24
Decker

Quote:
Lemmings was meant to be the "killer app" for Amiga, but it turned out to be so overrated
Not a killer app? Disagreed. And since you're forcing your opinion to be a general outcome as well, it has to be said that history disagrees with you as well: Lemmings was a hugely successful on Amiga and - of course - successful on other platforms. For me, it's aged infinitely better than something like SOTB. Which was a bad game to begin with, just a flash in a pan thanks to its technical merits.

There's nothing about SOTB's gameplay that you could point to and say "this still works". It's left no legacy to speak of compared to Lemmings, because there's nothing about the gameplay that stands out.

But the question was about personal dislikes. My answer is SOTB 1 and 2, Alien Breed, Project-X. The coolest of the cool in the early 90's but really, really hopeless and shallow in game design IMO.
Old 19 January 2020, 20:05   #25
Foebane
Banned

I just don't like Lemmings in any form, OK? And how am I "forcing my opinion to be a general outcome"?
Old 19 January 2020, 21:21   #26
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
I just don't like Lemmings in any form, OK? And how am I "forcing my opinion to be a general outcome"?
Then, just play Hired Guns and you can shoot some of them
Old 19 January 2020, 21:30   #27
Foebane
Banned

I used to think Lemmings was OK as a game, but then I discovered that the whole concept of lemmings running off of cliffs was a falsehood started by some Disney "documentary" which actually pushed dozens of them off a cliff to their deaths and filmed it, and so this Amiga game is perpetuating a falsehood.

Maybe a strange thing to be bothered by, and the game's lemmings look nothing like the rodents, but the principle stands, I believe.
Old 19 January 2020, 23:00   #28
Decker

Quote:
And how am I "forcing my opinion to be a general outcome"?
Quote:
was meant to be the "killer app" for Amiga, but it turned out to be so overrated
Like so. As in, it was 'meant to be' but failed.
Factually, it was a massive success, but you didn't like it. Which is fine.
Old 19 January 2020, 23:04   #29
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Like so. As in, it was 'meant to be' but failed.
Factually, it was a massive success, but you didn't like it. Which is fine.
Oh, OK.
Old 20 January 2020, 00:09   #30
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I used to think Lemmings was OK as a game, but then I discovered that the whole concept of lemmings running off of cliffs was a falsehood started by some Disney "documentary" which actually pushed dozens of them off a cliff to their deaths and filmed it, and so this Amiga game is perpetuating a falsehood.

Maybe a strange thing to be bothered by, and the game's lemmings look nothing like the rodents, but the principle stands, I believe.
And you're good with bluey hedgehogs? Ninja alien ants etc etc.. It's just a game you dislike! I loved it
Old 20 January 2020, 09:17   #31
Foebane
Banned

OK, just tell me this: How many people, playing Lemmings, have lost a round because the Lemming they picked out from a large crowd for a skill was walking in the wrong direction? That's the single biggest issue I have with the game.
Old 20 January 2020, 09:30   #32
sneckburger

Was Lemmings 3D any good? I remember the reviews were poor but I never played it.
Old 20 January 2020, 10:26   #33
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I find Lemmings to be a strange choice. I think it holds up extremely well. It was never about pushing the hardware or jumping on a trendy bandwagon. It did something completely unique and was executed brilliantly. It's not even the type of game I play, but I can appreciate it for how good it is.

My choice would be Another World. I still think it's amazing, but the trial an error nature and tough difficulty stop me from playing it these days. Definitely a game best played when I was a kid and had endless time for it.
Old 20 January 2020, 11:53   #34
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
I find Lemmings to be a strange choice. I think it holds up extremely well. It was never about pushing the hardware or jumping on a trendy bandwagon. It did something completely unique and was executed brilliantly. It's not even the type of game I play, but I can appreciate it for how good it is..
Same here. I was never a huge fan of the game since it's not really my favourite genre, but have tons of respect for it.

I just wish they would have cut that crappy intro and went with one disk.

But, well. It was Psygnosis.
Old 20 January 2020, 12:03   #35
roondar

I seem to recall you could just start from the second disk. Might be faulty memory though, there were so many Amiga games with intro disks.

On the topic of games I just can't force myself to play anymore, I'd say Agony scores pretty highly. I absolutely love the look of the game (and the intro/title music is great - level music not so much). Also respect the technical achievements. But I just don't like how it plays anymore.
Old 20 January 2020, 17:40   #36
Gordon
Settler

I have recently fallen out of love with pinball fantasies. I don’t know why and I hope I don’t get this feeling with all my other favourites.
Old 20 January 2020, 18:41   #37
arcanist

Frontier: Elite 2 is my pick. I poured hundreds of hours into that game when I was a lad.

A lot of my enthusiasm was driven by the thrill of exploring the galaxy, fueled by rumors. Was the Mirage real? (Spoiler: it wasn't). Could you reach witch space by forcing a mis-jump to meet the Thargoids? (Spoiler: you can't).

Once I learned programming and understood how the world was generated it all felt a lot emptier. Technically impressive, no doubt, but that floppy disk couldn't hide so many secrets.

Still rate it in my top 5 games of all time just for the memories.
Old 20 January 2020, 18:42   #38
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I just wish they would have cut that crappy intro and went with one disk.
Try Atari ST version then

The problem with Lemmings is more the level design than the game itself. The mere concept is actually quite good.
But, while some levels are brilliant, needing reflection and strategy to finish, they are rare and others are more like "click the right pixel at the right moment otherwise you lose".
Old 20 January 2020, 21:02   #39
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Try Atari ST version then

The problem with Lemmings is more the level design than the game itself. The mere concept is actually quite good.
But, while some levels are brilliant, needing reflection and strategy to finish, they are rare and others are more like "click the right pixel at the right moment otherwise you lose".
I F***ING KNEW IT! I hate those kinds of pixel-perfect games!
Old 20 January 2020, 22:22   #40
jotd
This cat is no more

problem with lemmings is that the creators became so good at it that they overlooked some levels difficulty. Exactly like Cannon Fodder. Not enough playtesters.