English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 December 2017, 21:09   #1
dave4shmups

I wonder if Amiga Forever will ever be released for Mac OS?

I'm a big fan of legal emulation, and while the Amiga Forever team still says that a Mac OS version is coming, I'm getting worried. I don't know what the challenges for the team are, compared to getting it to work every year on Windows, but I'd love to have Amiga Forever on my MacBook Pro.
Old 05 December 2017, 02:29   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There's already an Amiga emulator for Mac at https://fs-uae.net/ , no need to pay Cloanto to put it on a CD with bonus useless crap and send it to you ;-)

Last edited by Minuous; 05 December 2017 at 03:07.
Old 05 December 2017, 10:43   #3
Jope
-

.. and if you want to pay someone for the kickstart roms, then just get the cheapest downloadable aforever version and use the roms + adfs + whatever from it.
Old 05 December 2017, 13:24   #4
S0ulA55a551n

I bought Amikt worth it , and Mac version is decent

But the player for amiga forever is pretty useful , would be good if they ported it
Old 06 December 2017, 06:57   #5
spacey

they did make mention of something for mac users when they sent out the 2017 update emails... not sure how far away that would be (whatever it is)
Old 06 December 2017, 07:23   #6
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
There's already an Amiga emulator for Mac at https://fs-uae.net/ , no need to pay Cloanto to put it on a CD with bonus useless crap and send it to you ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n
I bought Amikit worth it , and Mac version is decent ...
Unfortunately, there are always some people willing to pay for freeware, nevertheless, the truth is that their money never goes to the authors of the freeware, but only to the sellers of the software distributions.
Old 06 December 2017, 08:12   #7
Foebane
Banned

Amiga Forever SUCKS when it comes to Amiga emulation, as they use a modified, un-updateable version of WinUAE and I've had it crash many times on me. Same for C64 forever, whose settings you can't even access.

The only thing AF has going for it is that it has all the official Kickstart ROMs and Workbench disks needed for emulation. Do yourself a favour, buy the cheap version of AF with these essential files, then download the latest standalone WinUAE, and get your Workbench from ClassicWB LITE, and you'll have what you need for proper Amiga emulation. I did, and I haven't looked back.
Old 06 December 2017, 15:51   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Unfortunately, there are always some people willing to pay for freeware, nevertheless, the truth is that their money never goes to the authors of the freeware, but only to the sellers of the software distributions.
A hundred times this.

It's shameful that this happens and people waving the flag of "legality" when they buy Amiga Forever, thinking they are taking the moral higher ground, should maybe instead realize Cloanto is disgusting in selling stuff that is available for free as per the creator's wishes and, as Peter says, giving money to Cloanto who in turn give NOTHING to the creators of said free software.

You might as well download the kickstart ROMs from the Internet, nobody but Cloanto gives a shit.
Old 06 December 2017, 16:26   #9
Daedalus

I think PeterK is referring to the latest AmiKit X, though I could be wrong... Amiga Forever does cover licencing costs, whether you agree with that principle or not, so at least part of the money goes that way.
Old 06 December 2017, 16:59   #10
Amiga1992

There's no licensing costs on freeware. It's just free.
Old 06 December 2017, 17:06   #11
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
A hundred times this.

It's shameful that this happens and people waving the flag of "legality" when they buy Amiga Forever, thinking they are taking the moral higher ground, should maybe instead realize Cloanto is disgusting in selling stuff that is available for free as per the creator's wishes and, as Peter says, giving money to Cloanto who in turn give NOTHING to the creators of said free software.

You might as well download the kickstart ROMs from the Internet, nobody but Cloanto gives a shit.
And a thousand times this!

Paying for new products is good - it encourages ongoing quality development (to a degree), but, as Akira notes, giving money to Cloanto does NOTHING for the Amiga community IMHO.

Download the kickstart ROMs. They're all over the internet now. Nobody will bother. And if they do, tell 'em that the files are your own back-ups!

BTW - I use FS-UAE on my MacBook and, once you get used to the odd interface, it does a pretty bloody good job. I've even got my A1200T emulated on it. Works splendid and I didn't spend a bean on it!
Old 06 December 2017, 17:08   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Amiga Forever SUCKS when it comes to Amiga emulation, as they use a modified, un-updateable version of WinUAE and I've had it crash many times on me. Same for C64 forever, whose settings you can't even access.
Amiga Forever includes a copy of WinUAE that can be safely replaced with an updated version.
Old 06 December 2017, 17:10   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I think PeterK is referring to the latest AmiKit X, though I could be wrong... Amiga Forever does cover licencing costs.
I confirm Amikit8 could be downloaded for free
Old 06 December 2017, 17:11   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
There's no licensing costs on freeware. It's just free.
I'm obviously not talking about the freeware. I'm talking about the many ROMs and Workbench installations that are included in the package, all of which need to be licenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I confirm Amikit8 could be downloaded for free
Yep, AmiKit X is the first version that is for sale.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:59   #15
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I think PeterK is referring to the latest AmiKit X, though I could be wrong... Amiga Forever does cover licencing costs, whether you agree with that principle or not, so at least part of the money goes that way.
Yes, I'm indeed more referring to the commercial distribution of AmiKit X and FlowerPot. It's not the case that I want to get any money for my own stuff, but I don't like it when 380 freeware programs are sold for more than a minimal copy fee. Of course, it's a lot of work to preinstall and configure such a distribution, but somebody who is starting a project like AmiKit X should know that it will always remain a freeware collection which is based on the work of many other people and should not be sold. But that's only my personal opinion.

I can't see much freeware in Amiga Forever except for WinUAE, and there might be an agreement with Toni Wilen, I don't know. I would never care about games and demos, just uninteresting for me.

If I had a Mac I would download FS-UAE, as Minuous suggested, and then build up my own system with all what I need and without all the other wasted GBs in these preinstalled distros.

Last edited by PeterK; 06 December 2017 at 20:57.
Old 10 December 2017, 00:09   #16
cmsj

I’m pretty sure Cloanto have funded some WinUAE work, FWIW.
Old 10 December 2017, 23:05   #17
dave4shmups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
And a thousand times this!

Paying for new products is good - it encourages ongoing quality development (to a degree), but, as Akira notes, giving money to Cloanto does NOTHING for the Amiga community IMHO.

Download the kickstart ROMs. They're all over the internet now. Nobody will bother. And if they do, tell 'em that the files are your own back-ups!

BTW - I use FS-UAE on my MacBook and, once you get used to the odd interface, it does a pretty bloody good job. I've even got my A1200T emulated on it. Works splendid and I didn't spend a bean on it!
I've heard about FS-UAE. Who the heck are Cloanto then, and how did they end up with legal Amiga Kickstart roms? Are there any former Amiga employees in Cloanto?
Old 11 December 2017, 11:12   #18
S0ulA55a551n

That’s not true at all. You update winuae. There is even a software manager that does it for you
Old 11 December 2017, 16:32   #19
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4shmups View Post
I've heard about FS-UAE. Who the heck are Cloanto then, and how did they end up with legal Amiga Kickstart roms? Are there any former Amiga employees in Cloanto?
Cloanto bought the copyrights for AmigaOS up to 3.1 so they can distribute it legally. Prior to that they had some kind of licensing agreement with Amiga Inc I believe.
Old 11 December 2017, 18:16   #20
Foebane
Banned

Cloanto are the new legal owners of the Amiga ROMs. They did contribute to the Amiga software market before Commodore went belly-up, with packages like Personal Paint, as I recall.