English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 August 2014, 18:50   #81
Amiga1992

That's a waste of money really.
Get a cheap one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interface-SD...item3ce72a7bae

Functionality is the same except for the tape stuff. Don't pay too much for a fancy box.
Old 29 August 2014, 09:37   #82
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That's a waste of money really.
Get a cheap one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interface-SD...item3ce72a7bae

Functionality is the same except for the tape stuff. Don't pay too much for a fancy box.
I'd love to have the ability to use tap files with my SD2IEC since it'll add a lot of titles you won't be able to play with just an SD2IEC. Adding a 1541 disk drive to a SD2IEC would be the better solution though since you can copy every d64 to real disks to make them work.
Old 29 August 2014, 11:12   #83
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I have this-
http://www.manosoft.it/?p=1&lang=en

For tap support i could buy this extension for it-
http://www.manosoft.it/?p=518&lang=en

But to be honest tap support doesn't worry me greatly either, as the Infinity V2 supports all these formats-
.prg .p00 .d64 .m21 .d71 .d81

And any tape games that came with loader screens and music, you will still get these before the game starts in these other formats, making the tap format a little redundant.

As for the cheaper, more basic SD2IEC devices on ebay.
Well you get what you pay for, and unless you made or bought a case for them they looks quite flimsy as is.
Old 29 August 2014, 11:34   #84
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
I have this-
As for the cheaper, more basic SD2IEC devices on ebay.
Well you get what you pay for, and unless you made or bought a case for them they looks quite flimsy as is.
The HxC SD although well made also doesn't have a case, I made my own of sorts
Old 29 August 2014, 12:34   #85
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
But to be honest tap support doesn't worry me greatly either, as the Infinity V2 supports all these formats-
.prg .p00 .d64 .m21 .d71 .d81

And any tape games that came with loader screens and music, you will still get these before the game starts in these other formats, making the tap format a little redundant.
I'm not sure every multiload tap file has a d64 counterpart without a fastloader on disk the SD2IEC doesn't support, but atm I can't give any examples.

@Neil79: Anyway, the SD2IEC collection here: http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id6.html will keep you busy for months and you don't have to try 10 different cracks to find a working one for a SD2IEC, which imho is the best value for money C64 expansion you can get.
Old 29 August 2014, 13:47   #86
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

ok ok you twisted my arm, I'll look into buying one next week
Old 29 August 2014, 14:49   #87
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I am using the manosoft rom packs that are also sorted into folder structures etc on my SD card, i presume most of these roms have been tested and i have never had any issues with them on the infinity.

There is one large pack that has 83000 files in it at 1.73gb(36000 of them are sids), obviously there is a lot of double ups on different formats in there though.

Then there is the smaller AIO pack with 25000 files at 420mb.

Also the larger pack actually came from an 8gb pack that manosoft used to host, but i just kept the C64 stuff out of it which ended up being 1.73gb.
The rest of the roms were for other systems i don't own.

For some reason manosoft is only hosting the smaller AIO pack at the moment and not the larger packs.

I would presume there much the same as this SD2IEC pack that the Captain linked to anyway.

But i might have a look at this pack as well to see if it's any different, manosoft may have just used this official SD2IEC pack and released it as there own pack.

And the packs are great as they have pretty much every game, demo and util that was ever released.
And every game i have wanted to play so far has been in the packs.

The only issue i have had with the infinity and this probably goes for any SD2IEC device, is with some of the latest demos and game releases that aren't in these packs that i have added to the sd card myself, they haven't been reliable and some don't run at all for some reason!
I will just wait for them to update these packs with the newest releases someday!

Also the roms pack i have on mine comes with sidplay64, a great sid player that can play sids from your sd card.
The packs also come with a sid folder containing something ridiculous like 36000 sid files in it, including all game and demo sids, all selectable via the sidplay64 player.

You can also setup sid play and your sids manually by copying sidplay64.prg into it as well as something like the hvsc sid collection!

I can't help but think what it would of been like 20-30yrs ago for someone to have stepped back in time, and given me one of these gadgets with a tiny sd card containing every game and demo on it, it would of been mind blowing

Edit- ""I'll look into buying one next week "" Nice one Neil, you will love it!

Edit 2- I just downloaded that SD2IEC roms pack the Capt mentioned and it looks similiar to the manosoft pack in structure, but it only contains d64 and prg roms.
The larger manosoft pack i have contain d64, d64 multi, d81, demo, easyflash, m2i, p00, prg, utils,sid folders with roms in each format!
The smaller AIO manosoft pack contains roms for the d64, d64 multi, d81, m2i, p00, prg formats only, and can be found here-
http://www.manosoft.it/?page_id=1050&lang=en

On a side note, although there not hosting the large pack i downloaded from them a few years ago, they do have some upcoming packs in the works-
C64 iso-pack 4gb coming soon
AIO(8bit) iso-pack 8gb coming soon

Edit 3- Lol soz for another edit, i just had a look and i do still have the original 8gb manosoft roms pack here, it contains all the roms for c16, c64, c65, c128, pet, plus4 and vic 20 for use!

Last edited by hansel75; 29 August 2014 at 15:38.
Old 29 August 2014, 15:33   #88
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD2IEC-SD-...item3ce3632f57

Good price?

Quote:
A Brand New Fully assembled and tested SD2IEC board with a serial connector (for data), a choice of power connector, a ribbon cable and a beginner's guide which tells you everything you need to load a game and not much else!
Old 29 August 2014, 15:40   #89
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
To be honest i don't much about any of the others apart from the infinity i have.

Akira or the Capt can probably help you out here the most!

But would i be right in saying that the Infinity supports more file types then these more basic ones, as it has both a disk and tape interface and looks to support more file types?

Last edited by hansel75; 29 August 2014 at 15:45.
Old 29 August 2014, 16:53   #90
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

True, although it is double price considering I already have an HxC for the Amstrad which cost me over £70 in total
Old 29 August 2014, 17:20   #91
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
True, although it is double price considering I already have an HxC for the Amstrad which cost me over £70 in total
As long as you have d64 and prg support then that should cover most stuff, and all the sd2iec devices support them.
Old 29 August 2014, 17:21   #92
Cpt. Hindsight

I have one of those linked on the same site as the SD2IEC collection in a beige case. http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/catalog/c1_p1.html

@Hansel: The infinitive supports easyflash files? Nice.
The usual SD2IEC supports D64,D71,D81,M2I and PRG file formats.
Old 29 August 2014, 17:23   #93
Amiga1992

As I said, they are all basically the same. The one I posted originally is even cheaper and works JUST teh same way. They are ALL based around SD2IEC/uIEC/MMC2IEC etc. Infinity doens't suport "more filetypes" than an SD2IEC, only the TAP ones.

TAP support: besides a loading pic and slow loading time, there's absolutely no difference to a PRG/disk version. I know I don't want to wait around for a slow tape to load and I rather load the PRG straight out of an SD2IEC in seconds.

Seriously: Infinity is a waste of one's cash. Get the 30 USD interface from Poland. Last I checked there was only one left.

Easyflash is a cartridge, C64SD doesn't plug to a cartridge port, so there's no supporting of that possible. I don't know where you got that from.
Old 29 August 2014, 17:49   #94
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Sorry i might of messed up about the easyflash stuff, the roms pack i got from manosoft included an easyflash folder with 137 easyflash crt files in it, and i mistakenly thought it supported it.

Not sure why the roms were included in there packs though?

The infinity v2 supports d64, d71, d81, m2i, p00, prg formats, and tap format with the ITS module.

So the only advantage is the extra p00 and tap formats(with module).

Could someone explain to me what p00 files are?, as the manosoft packs included 10000 roms in p00 format!

Plus what are the m2i's? They seem to be multiload games hacked into some other format, there easy to use though

As much as i like my infinity v2, it did cost extra and from the sounds of it your better of just going with a basic sd2iec unit for half the price.

Edit- My inifinity manual says p00 is Cartridge version, and m2i is Game Multiload.
Old 29 August 2014, 17:53   #95
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Ya I might just go for the one I posted, it's half the price at only £35 is unboxed and fully firmware up to date.
Old 29 August 2014, 18:08   #96
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Ya I might just go for the one I posted, it's half the price at only £35 is unboxed and fully firmware up to date.
Hope you enjoy it

I still get amazed when looking at a tiny sd card in one of these gadgets, and to think that it contains pretty much everything that was ever released for the c64 is just amazing!
Old 29 August 2014, 20:59   #97
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Yeh I still look at my HxC with tiny SD full of about 3.82GB worth of games n music n homebrew
Old 30 August 2014, 14:51   #98
hawui1

@Akira
Infinity doens't suport more filetypes than an SD2IEC, only the TAP ones.

And this ONLY means that you've access to many games that were never released on disk and that with a regular SD2IEC you will never be able to play on the real rig

Seriously: Infinity is a waste of one's cash. Get the 30 USD interface from Poland. Last I checked there was only one left.

This is your own opinion of course and let me say it's a bit superficial. I would look closer at what you buy before giving ratings. SD2IEC cards might seem to be all the same (and there are a bunch of them on the internet) but they're not, even if they share the same firmware, implementation makes a great deal of difference.

Last edited by hawui1; 30 August 2014 at 14:59.
Old 30 August 2014, 16:14   #99
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

As Akira noted pretty much all tape releases have been released in other formats, like d64 and prg.

Plus you could use d64 compilation packs like the 340 Blast game disks, and that would also cover most bases with single load games in packs.

I do agree with akira though and think that tap support is not really vital.

But there has been mentioned a few times now that some tape games are only available in tap format.

If anyone can name me some tape games that they doubt where released in any other format, let me know and i can check my massive manosoft sd2iec rom packs out of curiosity.

As all i would need to get is the ITS module for tap support, but i really don't think i need it with all the games i have in various other formats.

I am pretty sure that any game that anyone could think of for the C64 will be in the packs i have in non tap formats.

There are also the p00 roms the infinity supports, they could be tape images but i'm not sure, i have around 10000 p00 roms i can use as well!

The infinity v2 is really nice, but if on a budget i guess your definitely better of going with something that's half the price as it.

Last edited by hansel75; 30 August 2014 at 17:30.
Old 30 August 2014, 18:25   #100
hawui1

Firstly what I'm questioning is the judgement "is a waste of one's cash", not the fact TAP support is vital. Of course one has to pay how much he's willing to pay but he has to be aware of what he's buying.

Regarding TAP not on disk I can mention very easily all the cassettes that were sold in the newsstands in Italy.. you won't find them on disk.. You might (or might not be) aware that in Italy 1541 was costing more than C64 itself so many people bought just a C2N and they were sourcing the games from these cassettes.. you might find the original game on D64 but not the one customized as in the cassettes I'm talking about not to mention the intros displayed during loading that you won't find anywhere else. You might not be interested in this but this doesn't mean there's no one else that is. Having TAP support is the only way to relive those epic days.

Coming back to the card itself. There's nothing wrong with the Polish card at 30$ if you're tight on budget but for sure there are limitations in its usage, some you can easily spot, C64SD costs more but offers more (it's not costing more just to waste someone's wallet)

So the correct statement would have been: if you don't need additional features C64SD offers (that is not "just" TAP support) you can go for 30$ Polish card, not what it has been written.

Last edited by hawui1; 30 August 2014 at 18:35.