English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 October 2013, 13:03   #61
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Well that's interesting to here Akira, as i mentioned earlier in this thread that my ACA620 works fine with my original chip ram expansion.

But whenever i try it with the new A604 ram expansion, i have freezes and issues like you have had.

If i may ask, what would a replacement ACA620 achieve? Does it appear that your ACA620 is faulty, or that they are simply fussy with different chip ram expansions?

Do you think i should i seek out a replacement as well?
We are still investigating, but I have found when using an AMRAM6001, it works perfectly all day long without crashing.

Whats your board rev?
Old 06 October 2013, 14:36   #62
Amiga1992

I sure hope it was just my unit being faulty, otherwise i'm fucked. Not really looking forward to change my chipram expansion because of this, an incompatibility would be unaccptable.
Old 06 October 2013, 14:54   #63
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
We are still investigating, but I have found when using an AMRAM6001, it works perfectly all day long without crashing.

Whats your board rev?
June BUG A600 Rev- 2D
Old 06 October 2013, 16:53   #64
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
June BUG A600 Rev- 2D
FOL said before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
2D Boards have always had issues, this is why we clearly mention it on the product description.
So maybe you're a bit shit out of luck
Old 06 October 2013, 18:15   #65
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Yer i just noticed that! Oh well at least the ACA620 is stable with my old trapdoor ram, and i don't need to use the A604+IndiEcs in my A600 atm as it's being used on a 1084s monitor!

So i can get by ok. But i might look at getting another A600 with a better revision at some stage, and try the ACA620+A604+IndiEcs+lcd with that instead.
Old 07 October 2013, 14:05   #66
Amiga1992

But it would be interesting to see if this is a widespread error on a series of cards.
Even if it works fine on one of your setups it doesn't mean the card is fine.
You are lucky to have more than one Chip RAM board to test, I am not, and don't really want to go hunting for which card might or might not work.

As I said before, compatibility of the ACA620 with ANY Chip RAM device should be guaranteed.
Old 10 June 2014, 22:41   #67
TjLaZer

Created a support ticket with jens.

in the mean time, anyone else have issue with it locking up without loading acatune? Mine seems to lock up after a few minutes, no matter what I am doing. In WB or a disk game loading. Have not tried WHDLoad yet...
Old 10 June 2014, 22:45   #68
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Created a support ticket with jens.

in the mean time, anyone else have issue with it locking up without loading acatune? Mine seems to lock up after a few minutes, no matter what I am doing. In WB or a disk game loading. Have not tried WHDLoad yet...
Yes, had the issue with rev. 1, but rev. 2 solved the problem. If it is Rev. 2, I would suspect bad contacts with the CPU.
Apparently it can have problems with 2B motherboards, although my A600 has a 2B and have not experienced any issues with the ACA620.
Old 10 June 2014, 23:18   #69
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Yes, had the issue with rev. 1, but rev. 2 solved the problem. If it is Rev. 2, I would suspect bad contacts with the CPU.
Apparently it can have problems with 2B motherboards, although my A600 has a 2B and have not experienced any issues with the ACA620.
How can I tell if I have a Rev 2 board?
Old 11 June 2014, 04:08   #70
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
How can I tell if I have a Rev 2 board?
Hold both mouse buttons during boot and check the expansion rev.. Can also be seen in SysInfo and others. Lastly it is also printed on the board. If you bought it recently, it should be good. I think the first version was only sold for 1-2 months after it was launched, and they were replaced free of charge.
Old 15 June 2014, 17:11   #71
mr.spiv

Ok.. I invested a fair amount to this grief & failing setup. Maybe I should finally understand that it is no use trying anymore

Anyway, I have A600 + aca620 (Rev2) + 604n + indivision (see http://deadcoderssociety.net/pics/a600.jpg) with fair amount of other tuning like fixing the keyboard, HDD leds, new floppy etc. My issue is aca620 locking up. I recon (now) that I have a motherboard Rev-2D. I have it because the Rev-1.5 I had earlier had the same lock up issue (and thus bought a new motherboard). Both Re-1.5 and -2D lock up after max few minutes, sometimes I do not get even into WB after a reboot. I do not use maxmem or actually do anything, just listen the beloved floppy drive to click.

So, can I conclude the aca620 is bad or are there another mysterious reason why things fail (like PSU)?
Old 15 June 2014, 18:57   #72
bubbob42

You should try to strengthen the card's ground connection by connecting the small holes to the motherboard. drive small screws though the two holes into the holes for the original harddisk bracket.

This fixes stability issues with some boards.

Edit: Don't use too much force while tightening the screws.
Old 15 June 2014, 19:35   #73
Amiga1992

In my experience I'd contact your vendor and file a claim. I had to send the card back and it got replaced.
Does your unit lock up if you DON"T add the extra RAM using ACATUNE?
Old 15 June 2014, 19:44   #74
demolition
Unregistered User

As I wrote in the previous post, it is likely that the connection between the socket and the CPU is bad, so some cleaning should be tried. The machine is ~23 years old, so some corrosion is bound to be on the CPU legs. When things heat up and expand, it can create intermittent connections, causing it to be unstable.
Old 15 June 2014, 21:28   #75
mr.spiv

Quote:
As I wrote in the previous post, it is likely that the connection between the socket and the CPU is bad, so some cleaning should be tried. The machine is ~23 years old, so some corrosion is bound to be on the CPU legs. When things heat up and expand, it can create intermittent connections, causing it to be unstable.
Of course the cleaning procedure has been done..
Old 15 June 2014, 21:29   #76
mr.spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
In my experience I'd contact your vendor and file a claim. I had to send the card back and it got replaced.
Does your unit lock up if you DON"T add the extra RAM using ACATUNE?
Yep.. never got far enough even to start experimenting with acatune.
Old 15 June 2014, 22:33   #77
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.spiv View Post
Yep.. never got far enough even to start experimenting with acatune.
It sounds like either you had some back luck with both A600 MBs or the ACA is faulty. I suggest you contact your vendor regarding the troubleshooting/replacement.

It could also be the PSU if it is on the weak/noisy side. Have you tried removing all other expansions besides the ACA?
Old 16 June 2014, 00:05   #78
mr.spiv

Quote:
It sounds like either you had some back luck with both A600 MBs or the ACA is faulty. I suggest you contact your vendor regarding the troubleshooting/replacement.

It could also be the PSU if it is on the weak/noisy side. Have you tried removing all other expansions besides the ACA?
Made some tests.. without 604n+indivision and with internal IDE CF HDD thingy -> locks. Without anything, just aca620 -> seems to runs ok. With 604n+indivision and without IDE CF HDD -> seems to runs ok.
Old 16 June 2014, 01:33   #79
demolition
Unregistered User

Perhaps this is obvious, but did you insulate the bottom side of that CF adapter so it doesn't short to anything? On the picture it looks like it is resting on the ACA.

Anyway, it seems the problem follows the adapter/CF card, so I would first try with another card.

Edit: You could also try bending it the other way so it doesn't rest on the ACA.
Old 16 June 2014, 07:27   #80
mr.spiv

Quote:
Perhaps this is obvious, but did you insulate the bottom side of that CF adapter so it doesn't short to anything? On the picture it looks like it is resting on the ACA.

Anyway, it seems the problem follows the adapter/CF card, so I would first try with another card.

Edit: You could also try bending it the other way so it doesn't rest on the ACA.
Insulation on the CF thing is ok. Plastic and hotglue covering all exposed pins etc. Btw, a600 runs fine with IDE CF HDD when aca620 is off.

Last night I let a600 run for a while. The aca620 runs really hot. Is that normal?