English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 August 2011, 12:35   #221
Exit

Yes a solution, for the little trapdoor would be nice...just plug it in and ready or if somebody else would made such a solution i would certainly buy it.
Old 29 August 2011, 08:34   #222
Calabazam

Nice idea to use the back trapdoor of the A1200, but it would be nice to fit at least one or two USB there on the same time.
Old 29 August 2011, 09:18   #223
corpsicle

I may be blind and/or stupid, but where do i sign up for preorder of a MK2 for a1200 ?
Old 29 August 2011, 10:01   #224
Mr B

Well, not here. AmigaKit doesn't do preorders on items with unknown availability, but Vesalia have been taking "preorders" for as long as i can remember...
B!
Old 30 August 2011, 11:17   #225
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Every reseller listed on my website can take pre-orders, provided that he does not take any money in advance.

The connector discussion is not exactly useful, as the DVI-I connector is the only one that carries both analogue and digital signals at the same time. I would need even more space if I used HDMI and VGA next to each other. In addition to that, people would expect that a HDMI connector also outputs audio, which is not possible with my hardware (only half the sound data "flies by" the FPGA, not enough to do a Paula-implementation and re-create the sound). It would confuse customers if they see a picture, but don't hear any sound.

DisplayPort is not an option, as it's not compatible with DVI on an electrical level. It has a higher symbol rate, shorter maximum cable length, and again: no analogue signal option. Since Thunderbolt is backwards-compatible to DisplayPort on an electrical level, the same reasons for NOT choosing it apply.

Displays will remain compatible with DVI for the forseeable future (that is: at least until 2015, when DisplayPort and Thunderbolt are planned to fully take over), and I expect quite a few customers to still choose a CRT for the sake of "smoother picture". The scanline emulation just looks more real on a CRT, and we'll be able to get rid of flickering once and for all if I add a triple-scan mode for NTSC (90Hz) or a quad-scan mode for PAL (100Hz).

Jens
Old 30 August 2011, 20:21   #226
NovaCoder

Jens,

I'm very happy that it will have DVI and have already brought a DVI LCD for mine

I think mixing new technology with old is the best thing about the classic scene so carry on making these advances
Old 30 August 2011, 22:17   #227
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Jens, any chance to make a simple 90° adapter to allow the new Indivision to install in the A4kD?

I know PLCC male sockets are expensive, but saves you to have to make two boards and will let A4kD users to use the same FF/SD in desktop Amigas. Height may be a problem.
Old 31 August 2011, 11:21   #228
Schoenfeld
electricky.

90-degree adapter for the A4000d is not an option, because zorro cards would be in the way. It will have to be a special version, but it has the benefit of also fitting the CD32, so two versions can cover all AGA Amigas that have been made.

Jens
Old 31 August 2011, 18:09   #229
Jope
-

OTOH if you install a kickflash or other short card in the lowest Zorro slot, then it wouldn't be such a big deal.. Naturally you will have to make the conscious decision of losing access to your video slot. :-)
Old 31 August 2011, 20:29   #230
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Naturally you will have to make the conscious decision of losing access to your video slot. :-)
...which is kinda weird if you take into account that Indivision is one of the _very_ few flickerfixers that's genlock-compatible.

Jens
Old 31 August 2011, 21:49   #231
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
...which is kinda weird if you take into account that Indivision is one of the _very_ few flickerfixers that's genlock-compatible.
True, thankfully external genlocks are quite common. Naturally doesn't do much good if the user already has an internal one. :-)
Old 01 September 2011, 11:25   #232
cv643d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
no, it will just refresh quicker....
So a faster refresh rate means less flicker, and higher resolutions with HighGFX?
Old 01 September 2011, 12:54   #233
Geijer
Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
So a faster refresh rate means less flicker, and higher resolutions with HighGFX?
No,

To put it simple 25/30 Hz (PAL/NTSC Interlaced) means flicker, 50Hz or above means no flicker. With most modern flatscreen TVs you will get no flicker even with Interlace since they have similar (but much simpler) functions to Indivision.

HighGFX only needs a monitor or tv that supports 55 Hz vertical and 22,22 kHz horizontal. If that is not the case, you can use Indivision to convert the signal.

Indivision solves the problem that many modern TV's and monitors do have problems with frequencies and resolutions that AGA (and OCS) works best with and minimizing the effects that will occour when converting the signal:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1:1_pixel_mapping
Old 01 September 2011, 14:02   #234
magnetic
Banned

Quote:

Jens
Jens so my a1200 has a Supergen SX genlock on the RGB port when I get the MK2 will I be able to have say Image FX screen open on the Indivision on one monitor and another app open on NTSC out of the RGB port at the same time?

How does this work? Thank you
Old 01 September 2011, 17:02   #235
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
Jens so my a1200 has a Supergen SX genlock on the RGB port when I get the MK2 will I be able to have say Image FX screen open on the Indivision on one monitor and another app open on NTSC out of the RGB port at the same time?
No, it's not possible to do a dual-monitor setup like that. The Indivision screen will always show what the normal 1084 monitor would also display, just in a better quality and without video overlay.

With a genlock, you see a mix of the Amiga picture and the video picture on the 1084 monitor. Indivision will then show the "Amiga-only" picture that is overlaid on the video picture. That's as "genlock compatible" as it gets: It shows a picture, while pretty much every other flickerfixer will show nothing or garbage.

You will not be able to see the video picture on the Indivision output. For the resulting video-mix-picture, you still need a video monitor.

Jens
Old 02 September 2011, 06:36   #236
magnetic
Banned

Jens
I'm a veteran with amigas and genlocks but i'm still confused. Can you please explain or illustrate the physical connections? I'm coming off just the amiga rgb port and the Indivision puts gfx out on that as a normal amiga or are you saying that I would use the dvi output to rgb somehow?
What modes does the indivision have that are "genlock compatible" please? In other words what are the advantages of the using the indivision for amiga gfx for genlock overlay over standard amiga outputs?

Thank you for answering I know you are busy
Old 02 September 2011, 14:12   #237
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
Jens
I'm a veteran with amigas and genlocks but i'm still confused. Can you please explain or illustrate the physical connections?
I'm not Jens, but decided to answer anyway.

The genlock is plugged into the Amiga's RGB port as usual.

The indivision is plugged in on top of a chip on the motherboard and has its own separate 31kHz output that you can connect another monitor to.

Hence: your genlocking is just as before, but you have the option to view everything (except for the overlaid video) from a VGA monitor that is connected to the new VGA connector that is provided by the Indivision.

So .. as Jens already said: Genlock compatible in this sense basically means that it can coexist with a genlock.

Quote:
I'm coming off just the amiga rgb port and the Indivision puts gfx out on that as a normal amiga or are you saying that I would use the dvi output to rgb somehow?
The indivision has a separate output, the RGB port on the motherboard functions as before without any enhancements / changes.

Quote:
What modes does the indivision have that are "genlock compatible" please?
If the genlock is compatible with the mode you want to use, so is the Indivision.

Quote:
In other words what are the advantages of the using the indivision for amiga gfx for genlock overlay over standard amiga outputs?
There is no advantage for that use case.

All in all, you can set your machine up for use with a flicker free VGA monitor, but on the other hand you can continue to do video work with the machine without shuffling connections around.

Naturally if you use your Amiga only for genlocking, then the Indivision is probably not of much use to you - you'd need a 15kHz monitor anyway in order to view the genlocked picture.

However if you do any other productivity work with it, the Indivision lets you connect a better monitor and use better resolutions with less eye strain.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:01   #238
Cstar

sounds good

Old 03 September 2011, 06:44   #239
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Magnetic:

This is the solution I'll be using when I get my NTSC 1200 in the mail, and maybe buy that 2000 mobo off you (if you are still willing to sell that is).

http://www.amigamaniac.com/RGB_to_PAL_NTSC_adapter.html

I'll have two systems with the Internal Flicker Fixer, and two with the RGB Adapter for Video Production.
Old 11 September 2011, 17:19   #240
maw2k

Quote:
I may make a "special order period" where anyone interested in an A4000D/CD32 version can pre-order and pre-pay his unit, but I will most probably not stock them. Based on the numbers of the old model, I'm expecting higher cost than for the A1200/A4000T version
I started my Amiga revival 2 weeks ago and now I would like to have one of these. Please do it