English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 June 2018, 19:12   #1
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Pixel Vixen's Videos

Hey everybody,

Hope you're all well and enjoying the summer, I hope this isn't a bad idea - if this is, please do tell me and I'll not do this but instead of posting new videos as their own thread maybe it's best to collate them all into one thread as and when I put up some Amiga content?

It would be lovely to create some dialogue around the Amiga content I produce but don't want to be well frankly coming across like I am well just hear to get subscribers when really it's nothing about that, it's just fun talking about this stuff!

If this is OK, I'll post a couple of links to some recent Amiga content here and keep this updated as and when!

Vicky
Old 03 June 2018, 19:18   #2
kgc210

Go for it!

I am guessing from the YouTube name you will have some artwork vids?
Old 03 June 2018, 19:45   #3
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post
Go for it!

I am guessing from the YouTube name you will have some artwork vids?
Cool!

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKw..._as=subscriber

Yes definitely, I am a total DPaint junkie. I must admit the 20 years away from it haven't been too good to me so my first video about creating pixel art on the Amiga is a little delayed whilst I get properly back up to scratch. There's no point going on how to do things when you're also needing to brush up on skills (pun fully intended haha).

But yes definitely, I adore pixel art and lots of interesting content relating to using the Amiga for graphics will be on the channel eventually, as I am very much set on creating a decent JRPG for the Amiga which it never really got, probably because the Amiga had very little presence in Japan where the big boys like Squaresoft and Enix (as they were at the time) were very Japan centric despite their good attitude to the NA market (probably helped by the same video standard virtually and not having oodles of languages to translate for, désolé Quebec, ce n'est pas juste!!)

The channel will cover other systems like the C64, SNES, Mega Drive, Playstation and others too, but all in the spirit of fun and a love for these systems and how much joy they brought us and we're able to still have from them. So don't expect shouty pontification.

Basically I just want it to be one heap of fun!

This is my most recent 2 part video: [ Show youtube player ] - Restoring an Amiga 600

I put to use the wonderful knowledge shared by EAB members regarding a fast RAM upgrade for it. So now the little baby Amiga 600 runs with 4MB in total with its original 68000. Fab stuff
Old 04 June 2018, 03:31   #4
Anachronist

You're talented, I love what I believe is the Lunar artwork. You should consider working with some of the guys here making developing Amiga games! And yeah a JRPG on the Amiga would really be something.
Old 06 June 2018, 15:16   #5
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marle View Post
This is my most recent 2 part video: [ Show youtube player ] - Restoring an Amiga 600

I put to use the wonderful knowledge shared by EAB members regarding a fast RAM upgrade for it. So now the little baby Amiga 600 runs with 4MB in total with its original 68000. Fab stuff
I keep wanting an A600 when I see videos like these, even if I know I will just put it in storage in favor of comfortable emulation.

Back in the day I used to hate it, but now I love how expandable it is, and how you can soup it up with 2M chip, 4M fast, battery-backed clock, and internal hard drive for less than €100. Lots of Amiga in a small neat package.
Old 06 June 2018, 20:33   #6
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
You're talented, I love what I believe is the Lunar artwork. You should consider working with some of the guys here making developing Amiga games! And yeah a JRPG on the Amiga would really be something.
Aww thank you, as I say above though I am busy 'brushing' up on my skills at the moment to make sure I can pass on relevant and helpful advice. Once I feel confident I am up to speed again (I'm close!) I'd love to assist! A JRPG for the Amiga will be a wonderful thing (assuming what I do is any good!) I'm excited to explore the potential. It will be a long haul though as I have some pretty fixed ideas how I want it to pan out (like lots of cut scenes, a bit like the Lunar games or Phantasy Star IV, but blended with some of the awesomeness of scenes in Chrono Trigger and Grandia where you either had Marle (hmmm that name sounds familiar..... ) smashing in through the stained glass window during her father's trial in the courtroom, or when the Grandia characters sit down to eat or camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I keep wanting an A600 when I see videos like these, even if I know I will just put it in storage in favor of comfortable emulation.

Back in the day I used to hate it, but now I love how expandable it is, and how you can soup it up with 2M chip, 4M fast, battery-backed clock, and internal hard drive for less than €100. Lots of Amiga in a small neat package.
I always kind of liked the A600, purely because it was small, it is quite diddy compared to an A500, and about the same size as a MacBook Air 13" (although the Air just beats it out on thinness... by about 2" at the A600's thickest ) - you can do a bit more with it now with the Vampire and the Furia for example, and back in the day I had an Apollo 630 for it (which was terribly unreliable) - for me I'm happy with the 68000 and ECS. For my Amiga interests, it can do more than I am capable of code/graphics wise at the moment!
Old 07 June 2018, 09:18   #7
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Hello there Vicky!

Glad to see another pixel junkie Your vids are great, keep up the good work!

Post here whenever you have time, it's always exciting to talk about graphics.

Cheers!
Old 21 June 2018, 21:59   #8
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Hello there Vicky!

Glad to see another pixel junkie Your vids are great, keep up the good work!

Post here whenever you have time, it's always exciting to talk about graphics.

Cheers!
Thanks so much that's very kind, sorry for the slow thank you it's been a busy few weeks with work and travel

I am hoping that this weekend will see my 6th video, whoop, well 5th proper one starting my series on pixel art. I've been busy working on these little cuties attached.

Ok so it's not characters but they make a good starting point for what I want to go through!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a600-full-1806212044-01.png
Views:	290
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	58618  
Old 21 June 2018, 22:02   #9
DamienD
Banned

Nice looking trees there Vicky
Old 21 June 2018, 22:17   #10
mcgeezer

Quote:
Thanks so much that's very kind, sorry for the slow thank you it's been a busy few weeks with work and travel

I am hoping that this weekend will see my 6th video, whoop, well 5th proper one starting my series on pixel art. I've been busy working on these little cuties attached.

Ok so it's not characters but they make a good starting point for what I want to go through!
U sure you want to do graphics for a JRPG and not a nice CD32 fast action platformer featuring a space station dug into the side of a mountain?
Old 23 June 2018, 08:24   #11
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
U sure you want to do graphics for a JRPG and not a nice CD32 fast action platformer featuring a space station dug into the side of a mountain?
am i losing something?
Old 23 June 2018, 13:32   #12
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nice looking trees there Vicky
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Haha Is that your current project? Yes I definitely want to make the JRPG but who knows with a bit more time available to me in the future maybe I can assist with graphics but I'm not sure space related stuff is my forte. Unfortunately I have a real leaning towards cute and manga style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
am i losing something?
Possibly! My aim over the next few years is to create a decent JRPG for the Amiga. Although I am worried that my coding skills will be the weak link, I'm not a bad coder (web dev by day) but some of the concepts like 8 way scrolling are still foxing me.... Anyway, we'll crack it one day, today is too nice a day to be inside, need a wet rainy Sunday where I can crack out my drawing pencils and try to figure it out on paper!

I drew another little tree this morning though. Look out for the video tomorrow evening

The really great thing about pixel art as I'll explain in the video is it's important I think to consider the light source, but if you want to change whether it's morning or evening, just flip the image horizontally, as desired! And if you pick a highlight colour, adjusting the value of the colour gently can give the impression of light dancing on the foliage. Which is super neat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a600-full-1806231226-01.png
Views:	252
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	58633  
Old 26 June 2018, 11:10   #13
dissident

Quote:
Cheers!

Haha Is that your current project? Yes I definitely want to make the JRPG but who knows with a bit more time available to me in the future maybe I can assist with graphics but I'm not sure space related stuff is my forte. Unfortunately I have a real leaning towards cute and manga style!

Possibly! My aim over the next few years is to create a decent JRPG for the Amiga. Although I am worried that my coding skills will be the weak link, I'm not a bad coder (web dev by day) but some of the concepts like 8 way scrolling are still foxing me.... Anyway, we'll crack it one day, today is too nice a day to be inside, need a wet rainy Sunday where I can crack out my drawing pencils and try to figure it out on paper!

I drew another little tree this morning though. Look out for the video tomorrow evening

The really great thing about pixel art as I'll explain in the video is it's important I think to consider the light source, but if you want to change whether it's morning or evening, just flip the image horizontally, as desired! And if you pick a highlight colour, adjusting the value of the colour gently can give the impression of light dancing on the foliage. Which is super neat
Hi Marle, your trees look very nice and represent a certain kind of mood. Oldschool pixel art still rules. As someone said before, you have talent. Keep on your good work.
Old 08 July 2018, 22:20   #14
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
Hi Marle, your trees look very nice and represent a certain kind of mood. Oldschool pixel art still rules. As someone said before, you have talent. Keep on your good work.
Thanks! That's really appreciated So happy to hear there is enjoyment of the videos and general stuff! I know it's niche but spreading a little joy and enthusiasm for those niches is a wonderful thing to be a part of!
Old 08 July 2018, 22:23   #15
Marle
Pixel Vixen

So I FINALLY have Part 1 Pixel Art uploaded!

[ Show youtube player ]

Sorry it's taken me a while, my work (as a photographer as well as my day job) has taken me all over the place the last few weeks (Kent, Isle of Man, France... back to the Isle of Man next week...) so this has had to be parked but I finally got it together!!

I hope you enjoy it. The audio isn't brilliant, but it's listenable, I am learning but hopefully my enthusiasm carries you through that

Have a lovely evening all!

Px
Old 08 July 2018, 22:28   #16
happymondays

Those trees are beautiful. Although I am not really a fan of JRPGs, but a game with this artwork would look awesome.
Old 08 July 2018, 22:42   #17
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymondays View Post
Those trees are beautiful. Although I am not really a fan of JRPGs, but a game with this artwork would look awesome.
Thanks! I have a very long way to go to the end goal, but it doesn't bother me, and it seems that it will only seem more relevant as time goes on to be making a game for the Amiga as more of us who left it in the 90s come back to rediscover a love long lost.
Old 08 July 2018, 22:49   #18
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Very cool video & pixel art!
Old 09 July 2018, 12:12   #19
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Very cool video & pixel art!
Thank you so much!
Old 29 July 2018, 03:21   #20
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Not wanting to spam any of you as my latest video only tangentially refers to the Amiga, but it sort of does, and well... it's a bit of fun, and most important anyone coming to Play Expo in London in a couple of weeks?

If so, I'll be there on Sunday so if you want to hang out for a coffee or whatever it is you do at one of these things (it's a long time since my last expo...WOA 1999...) then let me know here!

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Marle; 29 July 2018 at 12:06. Reason: Incorrect YouTube URL