English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 19 August 2010, 19:45   #41
Paul_s

there's too much ography in this thread. :
Old 22 August 2010, 00:31   #42
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

So my quest to get software running has started. I've not had much time the last few days to do much with the old girl (packing to go away) but tonight I managed to get the Subway USB controller running and verify that all my USB ports are working

heres a short vid on Youtube: -

[ Show youtube player ]

Excuse my fumbling, it was hard to plug in the USB stick and CF card when looking through the camera video window

(anyone care to tell me how to embed video? Yes i'm dense so PM me )

And some photos: -

Firstly, I tried to do a bit of hackery with my daughter sat on my knee.. not a good idea... she enjoyed herself though nearly smashing the keyboard!

Ok, this is with the Subway installed. as you can see my CF card reader and Ethernet adapter are both detected.

I plug in a USB key into one of the USB ports..

Its detected!

And on the workbench...

Trying out the CF reader....

And that pops up instantly too

So those parts work!

My picasa album for a few more shots: -

http://picasaweb.google.com/10692986...552/A1200Mods#

Next i'd like to try testing the Ethernet adapter and Delfina... I go away next Wednesday for a while so I hope I can squeeze them tests in beforehand!
Old 22 August 2010, 00:36   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
(anyone care to tell me how to embed video? Yes i'm dense so PM me )
You can't embed videos on EAB (and I think that's not a bad choice ).
Old 22 August 2010, 01:10   #44
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

just awesome .
Old 24 August 2010, 01:41   #45
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I've had a go with my Delfina today and I am pleased, it outputs crystal clear CDDA and passes through native audio, all looped back and forth to the rear phono ports (now mounted upside down on a piece of strip board and hot glued in) not had time to check DSP specific software yet though (quiet audio because my kids are asleep): -

[ Show youtube player ]

I also had a quick blast with my PSX pad adapter on Mega Typhoon.. again testing the native sound through the Delfina, this time after a soft boot and loading from floppy (BPPC is disabled also as the game goes nuts with the 060): -

http://www.youtube.com/user/phipscube#p/u/0/zsar0rZVAoU

One niggle is that Native sound output will only come through once the driver is active. The cool thing is that after the first boot, any soft boots from then keep the driver in memory, so soft resetting and loading from a floppy means that sound output from the native audio is still passed through I might add a small hardware audio mixer at some point though as I want native audio from cold boot (I'm picky). But for now i'm very happy

here are a couple of photos as well, the Delfina shows up in AHI: -

CD player: -

The PSX adapter with Dualshock 2: -

My picasa photos: -

http://picasaweb.google.com/10692986...552/A1200Mods#

http://picasaweb.google.com/10692986...tLoadDVDDrive#

http://picasaweb.google.com/10692986...552/A1200Bits#

http://picasaweb.google.com/10692986...LeQm-q8mu3xZA#

And sadly I wont be able to add any updates for a while as I am travelling to the UK for 4 months whilst my wife does some research and I take my paternity leave. I considered taking my A1200 with me, but its too risky. I don't want to end up with the old girl getting destroyed in a suitcase. it wasn't a big deal when she came over in April all vanilla flavoured, but now she has all sorts of fruity toppings I think its best I put her away safe somewhere until January, then the madness will continue I wont be totally Amigaless... well, if you count AROS. I'm taking my netbook loaded with AROS and plan to spend a bit of time getting to know it better. I'll have internet access too so will still be hanging around here looking (drooling) at other folks projects
Old 24 August 2010, 11:09   #46
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Where abouts in the UK are you travelling mate?
Old 24 August 2010, 12:09   #47
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Wow man, that is SLICK!

PZ.
Old 24 August 2010, 16:12   #48
gibs
Banned

That's probably the best job on a A1200 ! congrats dude. Really Really great work !

I had the same idea for the trap door too
Old 26 August 2010, 09:05   #49
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Where abouts in the UK are you travelling mate?
I'm in Windsor Steve Got here yesterday, its bloody nice here! Haven't seen that much of the place just yet though as it was pissing down all day, but from the taxi in it is very quaint. As a Northerner though, I feel a bit more foreign here than in Denmark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Wow man, that is SLICK!

PZ.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
That's probably the best job on a A1200 ! congrats dude. Really Really great work !

I had the same idea for the trap door too
Thanks man, the trap door really needs a vent if you want a PPC in there. I got the idea off someone else who had made a vent from a speaker grill, it protruded out slightly so the guy could fit in a Blizzard 1240T and memory SIMM. I was originally going to use some soft mesh steel to compesate for the amount of flex needed to take the trapdoor off, but it proved to be too soft and I worried it would touch vital components on the BPPC. The material I ended up using has about the same amount of flex and stiffness as the plastic in the trap door. its a thin alloy compound I found at work.If you make a vent, whatever you choose to use, make sure its not totally rigid otherwise it will pop off when you take off the trapdoor.

Last edited by phipscube; 26 August 2010 at 09:06. Reason: quoting error
Old 26 August 2010, 11:35   #50
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
I'm in Windsor Steve Got here yesterday, its bloody nice here! Haven't seen that much of the place just yet though as it was pissing down all day, but from the taxi in it is very quaint. As a Northerner though, I feel a bit more foreign here than in Denmark!
I used to live not far from Windsor, I lived in Wooburn Green which is near High Wycombe/Beaconsfield.

Maybe if theres some event in the next few months whilst you're over hear we can have a toast to your awesome A1200
Old 26 August 2010, 12:17   #51
cv643d

Looks great, if not a bit too packed maybe, but if it makes you happy I guess we should all be happy.
Old 26 August 2010, 23:01   #52
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I used to live not far from Windsor, I lived in Wooburn Green which is near High Wycombe/Beaconsfield.

Maybe if theres some event in the next few months whilst you're over hear we can have a toast to your awesome A1200
I'm definately up for that Steve! Would be great to meet some of you guys Just a shame we can't toast with the old girl present, but maybe one day she can travel with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
Looks great, if not a bit too packed maybe, but if it makes you happy I guess we should all be happy.
HAHA! yeah its bloody packed alright! I'm very happy with the old girl though and it was a challenge, a very satisfying challenge And she all fits back together perfectly so when the case is on you'd barely know. She does weigh a fair bit more but is very solid feeling. And when running is a bit more noisy with all the fans running, but thats a small price to pay
Old 27 August 2010, 05:05   #53
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Thanks man, the trap door really needs a vent if you want a PPC in there. I got the idea off someone else who had made a vent from a speaker grill, it protruded out slightly so the guy could fit in a Blizzard 1240T and memory SIMM. <SNIP>
You're welcome!
Old 27 August 2010, 23:06   #54
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
You're welcome!
Ahh that was you rkauer! Excuse my ignorance, I remember seeing your mod at some point randomly on my searches around the board and forgot who you were Thank you for your great idea
Old 30 October 2010, 16:53   #55
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi:
Glad I've found you after seeing you on Youtube. I have already an A1200 with internal Cd rom, but as now I have another A1200, I was thinking to put an slot cd to make something different. Please tell me, how do you put an eject button? Where do you connect it?

I have heard the Delfina isn't very good. Which are the improvements you have noticed after installing it? How goes the chip memory now with it?

Last edited by Retrofan; 04 July 2011 at 03:07.
Old 31 October 2010, 23:10   #56
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Hi:
Glad I've found you after seeing you on Youtube. I have already an A1200 with internal Cd rom, but as now I have another A1200, I was thinking to put an slot cd to make something different. Please tell me, how do you do to put an eject button? Where do you connect it?

I have heard the Delfina isn't very good. Which are the improvements you have noticed after installing it? How goes the chip memory now with it?
Hi Retrofan

I connected the wires to the drive thus: -

And then just ran them under the drive like this: -

Then I simply hot glued a push button inside and connected a cable: -

This allows me to lift back the top lid a fair bit or even disconnect it if need be

As far as the Delfina is concerned to be honest i'm not quite sure as yet. I only had it in for a few days and did some very quick tests before I had to leave the old girl behind and travel for a few months. When i'm back in January i'll be able to follow up more on how it is. I must say though, that it was very easy to install the software and AHI drivers, and it automatically passed thru the native audio and CDDA very cleanly. I was initally very happy with it
Old 01 November 2010, 22:10   #57
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. Very well explained.
I've bought the slot cd for 1,49€: http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 November 2010 at 22:21.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:06   #58
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Thanks. Very well explained.
I've bought the slot cd for 1,49€: http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
No probs, wow thats a mega bargain! good luck with your hack
Old 03 November 2010, 22:38   #59
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, very cheap. I have a lateral HD on it's side, like you have the Cf reader but in another place, although I like too the way you've done it.
This afternoon I've added a clear plastic "window" beside the CF so I can see the light of the adapter from outside. Small detail for a piece of 2mm, but nice too (sorry, I can't get a photo with the light flashing):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0007.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	26877  

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 January 2011 at 02:28.
Old 04 November 2010, 20:26   #60
Photon

Ambitious and looking good.

Do you have some pics of the whole setup? Give me

Which screen do you use with the Indivision?