English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 13 June 2013, 17:27   #1
fatboy

WBPattern file Requester not showing any drawers!

I've installed ClassicWB lite (to go in my real A1200). I've got four partitions SYS: WORK: SOFTWARE: & MEDIA:

I have copied a load of MagicWB wallpapers etc, but when I try to SELECT PICTURE, the WBPattern Requester doesn't show ANYTHING (Folder and files etc.)in the window. so I can't select anything? Dopus shows all the files in all the drives so I know that they are there.

In the past when using OS3.0 it just listed everything that I had on my hard drive and a think it had a filter for IFF's etc??? Not sure why the WBPattern requester isn't working in ClassicWB lite, or am I just being dumb!!!!!
Old 13 June 2013, 17:53   #2
thomas

Does any other ASL requester show something, for example in Multiview?

Drawers are always shown in the requester, so there is something very strange going wrong on your system.

Perhaps you have set up the colors so that drawers and files are all drawn in the background color?

Are you able to cancel the requester or is it stuck? Can you enter the file name manually into the text field?
Old 13 June 2013, 20:44   #3
fatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Does any other ASL requester show something, for example in Multiview?

Drawers are always shown in the requester, so there is something very strange going wrong on your system.

Perhaps you have set up the colors so that drawers and files are all drawn in the background color?

Are you able to cancel the requester or is it stuck? Can you enter the file name manually into the text field?
Multiview is working fine. The WBPattern requester shows nothing! I can navigate to each device, but then nothing???? no icons, no files...but they are all there via Workbench and Opus and Multiview??? I can enter file paths manually, or drop the file into the Path box.
Old 13 June 2013, 22:24   #4
fatboy

Same problem when I installed the CF car in my real Amiga.

I used the WBPattern prog from ClassicWB ADVSP and copied it over to ClassicWB LITE, made no difference.

Could their be a 'bug' in the ClassicWB LITE HDF file??? everything else seems to function fine.
Old 13 June 2013, 22:32   #5
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I could be wrong but don't you have to change patterns via Scalos in Classic Workbench rather than using the Workbench option itself to change the patterns?
Old 13 June 2013, 22:36   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
I used the WBPattern prog from ClassicWB ADVSP and copied it over to ClassicWB LITE, made no difference.
The requester is made by asl.library, not by WBPattern.
Old 14 June 2013, 10:57   #7
fatboy

Quote:
The requester is made by asl.library, not by WBPattern.
Does that mean I should replace the asl.library in ClassicWB Lite with one from one of the more advanced versions of ClassicWB?

I've installed asl.library and WBPattern tool from OS 3.1, but still nothing?
I'll try a UAE version of Classic WB Lite on my Windows 7 PC, and see if it works properly on that.

Can't but think I'm missing something obvious here!
Old 14 June 2013, 11:01   #8
fatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I could be wrong but don't you have to change patterns via Scalos in Classic Workbench rather than using the Workbench option itself to change the patterns?
I don't think Scalos is installed on the LITE version?

UPDATE: I did a clean install of CLASSIC WB LITE running on my PC and duplicated the same issue. I can only assume that there is a bug in either ClassicWB lite and/or 3.0 Roms and Workbench 3.0. Shame because everything else runs so nicely

Can anyone else duplicate this problem?

Last edited by fatboy; 14 June 2013 at 11:14.
Old 14 June 2013, 11:32   #9
fatboy

Sorted!!!

Got it worked out. It's a known bug going back to 99.

Just needed to install Fast IPrefs 40.35

And this is what makes messing with an Amiga 'such fun'
Old 14 June 2013, 12:31   #10
daxb

I remember the problem. It took me a long time to find out what causes this but I don`t remember what. It is really FastIPrefs? It could be something with/without asl/reqtools requester patch/library installed or the wrong one. Or a datatypes issue. Please report if FastIPrefs fix the problem.
Old 14 June 2013, 13:48   #11
fatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I remember the problem. It took me a long time to find out what causes this but I don`t remember what. It is really FastIPrefs? It could be something with/without asl/reqtools requester patch/library installed or the wrong one. Or a datatypes issue. Please report if FastIPrefs fix the problem.
Yep working well with FastIPrefs
Old 14 June 2013, 14:12   #12
thomas

The '99 discussion does not describe what the bug actually is.

Using one patch to fix another one surely is not a solution but only a workaround.
Old 14 June 2013, 21:51   #13
daxb

It would be interesting to know the causer. At least if a clean OS3.1 installation hasn`t this problem? I bet on requester library and/or patch for this. Might be reqtools prefs setting issue but I don`t know if ClassicWB is using it. Or MCP its reqtools patch if used?
Old 14 June 2013, 23:28   #14
thomas

Surely a clean 3.1 installtion does not have this problem. Actually I've never seen this happen and I still cannot reproduce it. Even a clean ClassicWB lite installation does not have the problem, I've tried it.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:29   #15
daxb

If I`m not completle wrong the "bug" has to do with one of the following: asl.library (replacement or patch), reqtools.library (patch or setting), picture.datatype (version incompatibility). FastIPrefs has a switch (NoMemPatch) for different picture.datatype versions but I think it has nothing to do with this.
Old 15 June 2013, 14:30   #16
fatboy

Quote:
Surely a clean 3.1 installtion does not have this problem. Actually I've never seen this happen and I still cannot reproduce it. Even a clean ClassicWB lite installation does not have the problem, I've tried it.
AH! but I've only got an original A1200 with 3.0 Roms and ClassicWB lite based on a workbench 3.0 install...could that be the 'smoking gun?'
Old 21 June 2013, 15:54   #17
blizz1220

It is not a bug , they made it that way ...

You have to put proper IFF ILBM pictures and patterns in the
appropriate directory ... It will not show subdirectories or any-
thing that is not IFF ILBM.Not the best solution but that's how it
was on stock Commodore Amiga 1200 with kick 3.0.
Reason was probably that Workbench was still a Floppy Disk OS
at the time so you wouldn't fit too many pics on a floppy

Worked that way on any Amiga 1200 I've seen back then ...

EDIT : If you want other directory then that assigned by
the system (have no idea which) you type it the "Drawer"
tab like DH0:Pics/subdir and they will show up

Last edited by blizz1220; 21 June 2013 at 16:04.
Old 21 June 2013, 17:02   #18
PeterK

Yesterday I had a lot of trouble with WBPattern on OS 3.9, too.

I wanted to use the ILBM.images Marble_CLASSIC or MarbleDark in my windows as background pattern. But when I tried to load them nothing appeared in the filerequester for some directories like /Prefs/Pattern or /Prefs/Presets/Pattern although the files were really there. I'm using ASLtoRT.

Now the totally strange thing: when I tried to load them from the same location for the screen instead of the windows then everything worked just fine. And after I finally copied these two ILBM images into another directory they suddenly appeared in the filerequester, too, even for the windows. Sorry, but I didn't investigate this any further to find out what the reason for this behaviour is.

In contrary to your experience the filerequester on my system didn't show the ILBM-images or any other type of pictures for the windows but the subdirs appeared.

Maybe it's a bug in passing VarArgs from WBPattern to the filerequester or back.

Last edited by PeterK; 21 June 2013 at 17:16.
Old 21 June 2013, 20:47   #19
blizz1220

Yes, I tried it again on Winuae 1200 clone config and on my 1200
and no subdirs ... Strangely it does show .jpg pics now too probably
using datatypes but it doesn't load them ...
ClassicWb Lite , as I remeber it , got round the legal ramblings by
asking you to insert Workbench disks at some point of the installation ...

Real Amiga :
Kickstart Version : 39.106
Workbench Version : 39.29
Using C:Version on WbPattern gives me wbpattern 39.11
Old 21 June 2013, 23:03   #20
daxb

Rumors rumors. I have the problem on A1200 OS3.1 Kick3.1. With original WBPattern and FastWBPattern (replacement). FastIPrefs is running. Default I have all set to pattern. If I use Image and drag&drop a image file to the filereqeuster it is loaded and displayed. Now if I open the reqeuster for image all picture files are displayed and are selectable. I don`t know why but it is stupid as hell.