English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 July 2009, 17:20   #41
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I guess that the WIZ console requires complex tutorials to install emulators,that is what I wanted to avoid.
That information is incorrect. WIZ is just drag and drop on all its applications.

Dual boot linux is out for dingoo and MAME is on the way. For some reason installing the dual boot firmware actually fixes the megadrive emulation.
Old 02 July 2009, 18:20   #42
Anemos
70X7

THB, have testing the Linux boot on your Dingoo?
Old 02 July 2009, 20:15   #43
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Dual boot linux is out for dingoo and MAME is on the way. For some reason installing the dual boot firmware actually fixes the megadrive emulation.
It seems very difficult to install for me.I don't have Linux in my PC,I use XP. Btw MAME will release for Dingoo OS?

"USB mode" means that the Dingoo(using linux) can only be used connected to the PC?

Old 02 July 2009, 22:58   #44
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

You do not need Linux on your PC to install it and the dingoo does not need to be connected to the PC to run Linux anymore. I havent installed it yet (because I am lazy or not had the time yet)

Here is the "dingux" page http://www.dingux.com/
And here is a good blog for keeping up with the latest releases/news: http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/

This is a new launcher for dingux. Before this you had to use the command line to launch stuff in dingux:
[ Show youtube player ]

I believe MAME is being ported for dingoo Linux only atm. You may as well jump on board the dingux bandwagon, looks like all the cool stuff is coming out for it and you still have access to the original dingoo OS.

Last edited by T_hairy_bootson; 02 July 2009 at 23:09.
Old 02 July 2009, 23:19   #45
aphextwinned

Wink Alexh

? sometimes you piss me off with your methodical analysis of everything obtuse !

Old 03 July 2009, 12:55   #46
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphextwinned View Post
? sometimes you piss me off with your methodical analysis of everything obtuse !

irony is, in this quote there is no direct name, yet I am sure everyone knows whom you refer...

truth is though, he has a very valid point (as always ) a second hand PSP slim 2000 or 1000 both can be got for around £60 for a basic second hand model will serve you so well..

one just needs to accept the fact that once you have the PSP its no longer SONY's so hack the damn thing and make it your own.

I have 30 Playstation 1 games on my PSP and 18 PSP titles, (also I have Snes emulator with 80 games (80% of games DONT slow down), Megadrive emulator (120%) with over 100 games (including megaCD titles!), Gameboy Advance Emu with 60 games (Flawless), FUSE specky emu (lol) with 1.3gb of specky games, PSPVice cb64 emu with over 500 titles)...

the wifie bought me the psp-slim as I humming and harrring over getting one for a year.... I dont play enough games I said..... blah blah....

oh silly me....

I have upgraded the battery from 1200mAh to 3600mAh, I have a CR-5400 with dual 16GB MicroSD cards in giving 29.8GB of storage

so I have spent well into another £100 on it since I have had it.

GP2x IMHO is over rated, and can JUST about run a DivX movie, when deciding on what I wanted from a hand-held I put a little comparrison together.

Remember prices are a little old.

Old 03 July 2009, 13:07   #47
john4p
Competition Moderator

I'm also very happy with my PSP (fullspeed Playstation, Genesis, Sega CD, PC Engine, NES, C64, etc. plus PSP hits like "Dracula X Chronicles" and "Silent Hill Zero").
But now the GP2X Wiz is available which runs by default at 533MHz and can safely be overclocked to at least 700 MHz (even 800 MHz is often possible, depends on the chip).

UAE4All 0.8.0 has just been ported a couple of days ago. Turrican is reported to run fullspeed with sound.
Turrican II and Superfrog need frameskip 1 for "full speed" with sound. But that's still 25fps and very bearable on a handheld.

The Wiz is quite cheap, too, so I'm really considering getting one after all (since the Pandora just refuses to get completed).

So for Amiga 500-emulation, MAME-emulation and those SNES-titles that run crappy on the PSP (like "Super Turrican", "Mega Man 7", "Chrono Trigger", "Super Mario RPG", and quite a few more) the Wiz is currently the best gaming handheld.

(Unless you can jailbreak your new iPhone 3G S - which has the same CPU and GPU as the Pandora will have - and attach gaming controls to it.)
Old 04 July 2009, 03:00   #48
frikilokooo

Any site to buy a cheap and new WIZ?please
Old 04 July 2009, 08:09   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://www.gp2xstore.com/gp2x-wiz-ha...e-console.html
They even offer free shipping to Spain
Old 04 July 2009, 08:15   #50
john4p
Competition Moderator

At www.adictron.eu you can buy it for 140 Euros + 5 Euro postage.

edit: TCD was faster.

@frikilokooo: You shouldn't expect too much from the Wiz, however. Its predecessor, the GP2X, could already run Turrican II "fullspeed" with sound at frameskip 2 when overclocked to 275MHz.
There seems to be a bottleneck related to its memory access which prevents the Wiz from being really twice as fast. It's faster than the GP2X, but not by that much as the 700MHz might make you believe...

Btw., Apidya crawls at unplayable speed. Still many Amiga 500-games work "fullspeed" with sound at frameskip 1 (okay, for me fullspeed means frameskip 0 and 50fps - that's why I write it quoted).

Last edited by john4p; 04 July 2009 at 08:56.
Old 04 July 2009, 10:51   #51
frikilokooo

thanks mates!

Don't worry john4p,I don't expect very good Amiga emulation.
Old 04 July 2009, 11:50   #52
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Wiz

If anyone has a Wiz or intend to get one, I would not mind a report on how UFO and Terror From The Deep fare.

I could not find any video or detailed reviews online. The only useful information I found was in a changelog which mentioned speed improvements (meaning that they don't run at full speed?).
Old 11 July 2009, 10:41   #53
frikilokooo

I wonder if the WIZ is compatible with its predecessor because it has a lot more stuff at the moment like Spectrum or CPC emulation.

I can not wait for the WIZ.I'm very much enjoying the Dingoo and I'll enjoy it much more WIZ
Old 11 July 2009, 10:48   #54
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
But now the GP2X Wiz is available which runs by default at 533MHz and can safely be overclocked to at least 700 MHz (even 800 MHz is often possible, depends on the chip).
how to get overclocked?installing some program like in the Dingoo?(the Dingoo not working full speed to default) or with hardware mods?
Old 11 July 2009, 12:07   #55
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

If the wiz is anything like the gp2x the individual programs (emulators) will have an over clock option. gp2x software is not binary compatible with the wiz it needs to be recompiled for the wiz.
Old 13 July 2009, 07:27   #56
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Managed to get a chance to install dingoo linux (dingux) on the weekend, only tried Snes9x so far which is much smoother and more compatible than the dingoo default firmware SNES emu.
Old 13 July 2009, 08:39   #57
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@THB

have you a PSP? would you say the emu is better dingo?

can it run wing-commander at reasonable speed? what about Flight of the Falcon ?
Old 13 July 2009, 09:32   #58
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I'll give those a try zetr0, I don't really use the PSP as an emulation machine due to mine being a first gen phattie with the slow LCD, so if you can recommend which snes emu to use I will compare it to the dingux snes9x.

The dingux version of snes9x is a very quick and dirty port and its already very impressive.

Mame4all was ported to dingux as well by the maintainer of the gp32 build, yet to try that but its on my list. Although I cant imagine it being as fast as the gp2x version as that has arm asm 68000 and z80 cores and is considerably faster and more compatible than the PSP version.
Old 08 August 2009, 14:01   #59
frikilokooo

I have the WIZ and the Dingoo,I must say there is not much difference between them especially now that Dingoo have new emulators such as MAME and the Spectrum,although I have not even tried MAME on Dingoo should go well like CPS / NeoGeo emulators.However Missing Amiga emulator on Dingoo still.Much lighter and finer the Dingoo.I prefer the WIZ buttons especially on beat em up games,the buttons Dingoo not bad at all though.Highly recommended both consoles
Old 08 August 2009, 15:54   #60
hitchhikr

I ordered a dingoo last week.
It's an interesting little console from a programming stand point: basically it's just a all-in-one processor based on MIPS32 architecture with an integrated AC97 codec and some other parts to control the sd cards, usb, lcd, etc,. Apparently there's also a 4gb NAND inside the console which is good.

But the part that really makes it interesting to me is the SIMD instructions set extension added to the processor (there's no FPU on board apparently), i think it's more or less equivalent to Intel's SSE extension and i don't think that they've been used in homebrew emulators yet (?), it surely improves graphic rendering and could also be used for 3D too (i even wonder if it would be possible to emulate a PS1 with all this),

All in all, it's much easier to program that multi-chips/multi-processors consoles, the OS is open source and rather small (they use uCOS-II), + there's a TV out, all win.