English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 May 2007, 17:12   #81
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

So we can close this case, HH. I prefer the technically better PCE and you the Amiga version, all is fine.

But a last word i couldn't resist: The PCE version is not a ripp off or a clone. They changed the main character a bit, the shop keeper and the Bosses. But all backgrounds graphics, enemies, attack waves, secrets, items etc. are nearly 1:1 converted.

Good to hear you like the SMS Wonderboy. This console has surprisingly some nice arcade conversions, R-Type is a good 8-bit port too.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 May 2007 at 17:18.
Old 19 May 2007, 20:12   #82
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

SMS wonderboy after some more play is VERY nice actually.

also tried some of the rest of the series on it and they just get steadily worse and worse.... the whole RPG thing like that is really not for me. im not saying this is gospel or anything... this was just what i thought of em all.

WMiML - feels really lacklustre quite honestly. some nice looking touches, but has the pace of a dead donkey.

Wonderboy 3: Dragon's Trap.... wtf? no sense of progression, if your gonna make half your exits link back to where you've already been. ... series is already losing it as a platformer for me at this point. Out hapless hero also feels more like he's gliding than walking... which was fine for WB1, but the more traditional platform layout doesnt work in favour of a good gaming experience. A potential alright game that just isnt good enough for me.

also he's a dragon now. wtf is this "bubble bobble plotline ripoffs"??!

skippng to WB in MonsterWorld, and we're onto stuff i really dont like now. graphical style like everything else of this type, far too much tedious/generic feeling "RPG" stuff in the gameplay... and some really really bland music.

for that type of RPG/platform mix thing, the closest thing i would go for is the Magic Knight Series on the speccy. That does the mixture of styles a lot better.

the series has totally lost it by WB5 for me.

p.s. - of course its a rip-off / clone.... it doesnt share the same game name ;-)
Old 19 May 2007, 20:24   #83
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's ok, Horace.

But i never read/heard something really negativ about the Wonderboy 2 sequels. They are technically awesome games, with a lot of improvements in all categories. Especially Wonderboy V and VI for the Mega Drive are masterpieces. But it is always a matter of taste.

I love the whole Wonderboy series, can highly recommend it for platform fans, who also likes good console RPGs.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 May 2007 at 20:31.
Old 19 May 2007, 21:35   #84
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace
Wonderboy 3: Dragon's Trap.... wtf? no sense of progression, if your gonna make half your exits link back to where you've already been.
Those exits are good for fast transport back to the town. When you have progressed somewhat in the game you will often come back to town to take another route which now is possible to take due to having upgraded your equipment or transformed into another character with new abilites.

Quote:
also he's a dragon now. wtf is this "bubble bobble plotline ripoffs"??!
You will be tranformed into some various creatures during the game. Later on you will manually be able to switch between the different creatures to reach places you wouldn't be able to reach otherwise.

Quote:
series is already losing it as a platformer for me at this point. Out hapless hero also feels more like he's gliding than walking... which was fine for WB1, but the more traditional platform layout doesnt work in favour of a good gaming experience.
The main difference between Monsterland and its sequels is that in Monsterland you will progress through levels while the later ones in the series will offer one big world. Though, you can actually look upon the different 'parts' of the world as levels, since you most often only have to 'deal with them' once (but you always have the possibility to come back, and if you do you might find something 'new' the next time around due to having aquired more abilites... and at certain times, you have to come back for a quick visit). The series simply took the adventure parts out of Monsterland and put them in focus, pushing the classic platforming into the background and in the process making the games less linear. In Monsterworld IV they did, however, re-introduce the more linear gameplay with mainly one route to travel.

Quote:
for that type of RPG/platform mix thing, the closest thing i would go for is the Magic Knight Series on the speccy. That does the mixture of styles a lot better.
I would say adventure elements instead of RPG elements. There is no such things as leveling up your character... you just find new equipment along the way and stumble across puzzles which you will need your equipment to solve. The genre would be platform-adventure, then.

Quote:
p.s. - of course its a rip-off / clone.... it doesnt share the same game name ;-)
It can't really be a rip-off / clone. It is the same game. With some different graphics / text. If it would have been a rip-off / clone it would never have been able to stay on the market. The game would have been sued of the shelves if that would have been the case.

Old 19 May 2007, 22:06   #85
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

the exits i was refering to were in the first level/castle... surely those arent needed for progression back to town, since they take you there in the first place? even if they are, that's bad game design imo to throw the player straight into that.

anyway... its too much for a platform game for me. Robocod has a nice felixble structure (with the doors and whatnot) but you always feel as though you are progressing.

one of the things i love about WBiML is its simplicity. From my refresher-course on the sequels today, its sosmething you get less and less of as the series goes on.

adventure / rpg / platform-adventure ... whatever you want to call it... Magic Knight games are better... theres no levelling up there either. hehe.

and i'm sticking with "rip off"... at least as far as people here talking about "accurate" conversions goes, its certainly true.... however much you want to analyise the technicalities.
Old 19 May 2007, 22:13   #86
keropi

magic knight games???? more info plz!
Old 19 May 2007, 22:40   #87
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Try Blades of Vengeance, are really good Fantasy Platformer for the Mega Drive.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesi...ce/screenshots

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 May 2007 at 23:11.
Old 19 May 2007, 23:03   #88
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
magic knight games???? more info plz!
8bit computer games, and very good ones at that

Finders Keepers / Spellbound / Knight-Tyme / Stormbringer
Old 19 May 2007, 23:25   #89
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
8bit computer games, and very good ones at that

Finders Keepers / Spellbound / Knight-Tyme / Stormbringer
nice one belg'

here's that list in link form.

Finders Keepers
Spellbound
Knight-Tyme
Stormbringer

Finders Keepers is a bit different to the other 3, but still fun.

for the love-of-god avoid the c64 version if you dont want to have a seizure from all the flashing colours!
Old 19 May 2007, 23:31   #90
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This stuff is REALLY oldskool, Horace. I tried some of them ages ago. It seems our taste in games differs a bit.
Old 19 May 2007, 23:41   #91
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
This stuff is REALLY oldskool, Horace. I tried some of them ages ago. It seems our taste in games differs a bit.

well i still play amiga games, so its hardly surprising... i just like good games, and i really dont care when they are made. it just happens that most good games were made quite some time ago

acting surprised at liking "old-skool"... hmm... are you sure "retro-nerd" is a suitable nickname?
Old 19 May 2007, 23:55   #92
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, Retro-Nerd is the right nick.

Your mentioned games are bit to simple for serious aventure-platformer. This is normal, because they were made back in 1984-85. But i prefer other platformer from that period.

I like Bruce Lee or Henry's House, play them from time to time.
Old 20 May 2007, 00:18   #93
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Bruce Lee is a fantastic game... but is nothing like the Magic Knight games in terms of platforming. the plaform element of the latter is secondary to the adventureing from Spellbound onwards... with it being more like Monkey Island with a few jumps really.

Bruce Lee is more like... well.. not quite IK+ with platforms, but close.

it is also incredibly easy!

am way off-topic now, so i'm gonna shut me trap and let someone else talk about WB games or someat now
Old 18 July 2007, 19:58   #94
s2325
Zone Friend

another remake/clone of Wonderboy: http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/s...ead.php?t=9672
Old 18 July 2007, 21:21   #95
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Wonderboy III the dragon's trap is aweseome!!!. Also the game gear version was a little faster and more playable.
I love wonderboy games!!!!
Old 28 October 2007, 09:16   #96
s2325
Zone Friend

new great clone: http://www.silvernova.co.uk/games/finalvision.zip (11.8MB)
Old 28 October 2007, 11:03   #97
oneshotdead

lol @ the debate over Super Wonderboy in Monsterland.

That game was complete crap on a stick, ST and Amiga.

There is no argument. I remember, as a kid, playing that crap, my eyes nearly rolled out of their sockets, the scrolling was so choppy.

And the end level? lol. Pahlease........ quite possibly the shittest WB ever.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:46   #98
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
lol @ the debate over Super Wonderboy in Monsterland.

That game was complete crap on a stick, ST and Amiga.

There is no argument. I remember, as a kid, playing that crap, my eyes nearly rolled out of their sockets, the scrolling was so choppy.
Thanks a lot, matey. This is balm for my broken soul.
Old 28 October 2007, 12:01   #99
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
wow, this is nice! thanks!
Old 28 October 2007, 14:44   #100
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Thanks a lot, matey. This is balm for my broken soul.
glad to know you feel that passionate about it, but you're still wrong