English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 August 2012, 01:31   #1
spud

New Game: [insert title here]

Hello,

Just thought you might be interested in a new game I'm programming for the Amiga at the moment. I can guarantee it won't be anything fancy as it is the first thing I've ever programmed for the Amiga (with the exception of a fruit machine simulator I coded in Amiga Basic on my A500 in about 1991 ! It was crap, and that was the last time I thought about writing something on the Amiga again. Until now, that is.)

You may have heard of Stamp Quest, Endless Forms Most Beautiful or The Lost Tapes of Albion on the Spectrum, recent games from the past year or so. Well I programmed a SAM Coupé version a couple of months ago, titled the Lost Disks of SAM and the thought struck me it'd be a good project to learn assembler on the Amiga with.

The game is currently untitled, and in the very early stages of development, I hope to get a playable demo up at some point, but for now take a look at:

[ Show youtube player ]

Any comments or thoughts welcome. If you've played any of the original Speccy games, or the SAM one, or even the superb EFMB PC remake, and have any ideas about how they could be improved or new features that might be worth trying out, I'd be welcome to hear them. I can't promise anything mind you :-)

All the best.
Old 20 August 2012, 09:05   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Okay. First - what is the goal of the game? I only see platforms, a hero and some foes, but I cant find a purpose of running over the level. I pressume it will be the classic "pick up all the fruits"?

EDIT: I now watched your SAM version video and it is clear then.
Old 20 August 2012, 12:21   #3
spud

Yep, spot on. Collect the items on the level to progress to the next. Then repeat over and over until you pull your hair out. There will be a variety of different enemy types, level layouts and power ups to keep things interesting.
Old 20 August 2012, 12:53   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I would also add animations or pictures between levels - not just the same thing over and over again. Some variety that would keep me playing it until the end. And I would also keep the total ammount of levels about 12, nothing like 50 or 100 or so.
Old 20 August 2012, 19:26   #5
Graham Humphrey

I haven't got round to properly playing the Speccy games yet even though I downloaded them. It will be cool to see an Amiga version though and it might give me an incentive to check them out
Old 22 August 2012, 17:22   #6
spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I would also add animations or pictures between levels - not just the same thing over and over again. Some variety that would keep me playing it until the end. And I would also keep the total ammount of levels about 12, nothing like 50 or 100 or so.
Yep, the plan will be to have some decent presentation inter-level sequences, etc. As for the number of levels, I think the SAM one had 12 levels per difficulty level, so the likelihood will be to replicate that sort of format with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I haven't got round to properly playing the Speccy games yet even though I downloaded them. It will be cool to see an Amiga version though and it might give me an incentive to check them out
Do have a go of the Speccy originals, they're excellent fun. Very quirky graphics and game-play. I found them irresistibly addictive, still do actually.

By the way your Downfall game is responsible in part for inspiring my attempts to crack the Amiga in terms of game development.
Old 22 August 2012, 20:28   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Graham, I think the time for another invention has come ;-)
Old 22 August 2012, 20:51   #8
kriz

Cool project !!
Old 22 August 2012, 20:58   #9
Graham Humphrey

@spud: I will definitely do so! Good luck and do keep us informed with your progress. Glad to hear Downfall was an inspiration... that was the idea so I'm glad somebody has found it useful

@Pred: Yes, when the weather cools down. Platform arcade/adventure thingy, here we come But that's for another thread, not this one.
Old 22 August 2012, 21:32   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Spud would be also valuable team member.
Old 23 August 2012, 01:35   #11
Cammy

I picked up Retro Gamer yesterday and was just looking through the issue this morning. I saw this cool looking Sam Coupe game and a photo of the programmer, and I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if this guy wanted to make Amiga games too" then I saw the A4000 behind the Sam in the photo, and read further down that he was interested in developing for the Amiga. Two minutes later I came on EAB and saw your thread!

Great work so far, I'm definitely looking forward to any of your upcoming Amiga releases.
Old 24 August 2012, 00:49   #12
spud

Thanks for the encouraging messages That photo in the magazine is embrassing though I was trying to get the A4000 in shot purposely Just out of shot was an A500 I upgraded with a mini-itx board, and to the left of the 4000 is an A1200, again out of shot.
Old 24 August 2012, 09:11   #13
mike4466

Quality looking game there spud.
Like the way one of the characters suddenly starts running and then slows down keeping you on your toes.
Most games of the set paced type and are too predictable and end up being boring.
Old 04 September 2012, 02:12   #14
spud

Thoguht I'd update a little with some progress.

Been doing some behind the scenes improvement as I go along, progress isn't terribly fast but I'm learning the architecure as I go.

Some work on background tiles, platform graphics sets (all of which ported straight from SAM version for quick testing), player two is in there and wondering around under random mouse control. Some inertia applied to the movement of the main chars, more enemy types (one that seeks you out up and down as well as left / right for example).

Long way to go yet, but here is a linky to a vid of current status

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 September 2012, 03:34   #15
Djay
95th User

if it is a 'pick up all the fruit' game, can it be called 'Fruity Loot'
Old 04 September 2012, 04:17   #16
kriz

Cool name
Old 04 September 2012, 12:08   #17
Amiga1992

I quite like the graphics! And the possibility of2 plaermode.
If you need a hand with gfx or music, let me know
Old 04 September 2012, 21:46   #18
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Thoguht I'd update a little with some progress.

Been doing some behind the scenes improvement as I go along, progress isn't terribly fast but I'm learning the architecure as I go.

Some work on background tiles, platform graphics sets (all of which ported straight from SAM version for quick testing), player two is in there and wondering around under random mouse control. Some inertia applied to the movement of the main chars, more enemy types (one that seeks you out up and down as well as left / right for example).

Long way to go yet, but here is a linky to a vid of current status

[ Show youtube player ]
spud are you developing on winuae ?

Thanks jay.
Old 04 September 2012, 22:02   #19
spud

Hi primarily yep it is developed on UAE, well not so much developed, just assembled in UAE. I'm using an editor on the PC for the actual programming. When I want to test it I boot up UAE which loads in the source file and more or less assembles it in devpac automatically for me. It is also regularly tested on my A4000, I've set it up to copy over the binary from the pc automatically and run it. The graphics are worked on in a combination of Grafx2 on PC and PPaint/Dpaint on the A4000/UAE, as well as a windows app I wrote to help my SAM Coupé graphics work (updated to provide suitable masks for example for use by the blitter).

Developing on the Amiga alone would be a pain in the arse, especially as the Amiga takes longer to boot after I've crashed it. UAE takes about 3 seconds
Old 05 September 2012, 19:24   #20
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Cute.

My first thought for a name was, for some reason, "Salad Dodger".