English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 26 June 2008, 16:31   #41
Retro1234
Phone Homer

@Rebel-CD32 I love the intro and version is definitely smoother than the other versions this realy is the best Sonic version for the Amiga - Back in the day this would have been passed round every skool yard! Well done this has made my day

Id like to make my own levels and will defently look into Backbone more but I hate reading those Crappy Amiga docs Im waiting for someone to create a nice step by step guide to Backbone

I know youve got other projects you and Cammy seem realy busy -theres no one else doing this kind of thing for the Amiga but maybe your keep this on the backburner.Anyway well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Shit, I missed it. Please post a link. Thanks.
I dont know if you saw it I put it in the zone.
Old 26 June 2008, 16:47   #42
viddi

Oh, thank you very much, Boo Boo!
Old 27 June 2008, 00:00   #43
Cammy

Can people who still have questions about this game please re-read my first few posts, and if you still need to know more about Backbone, I wrote a review of it back here - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36585 - Most of the game-engine related questions have already been answered, but I'll quickly go over it again.

I'm not a programmer. The closest I've come to coding is HTML for websites. I use a program that was abandoned ten years ago, which is available on Aminet, called Backbone. Backbone is a program for making platform games (like Turrican and Giana Sisters) and overhead shooters (like Chaos Engine and Alien Breed). It has a point & click GUI interface, which means the whole program is controlled by the mouse, and no code can be input. You have a limited amount of different settings you can have for each of the objects and players in the game, and a map editor.

I can't add extra features to this game. I've actually pushed the program futher than it should be possible. I've included springs, a spinning jump, and even a jerky loop. This really is as much as you can do as far as customisation, just tweaking the settings and finding workarounds and tricks.

I WANT to make real games. Backbone was described beautifully by CU Amiga magazine "Backbone is great for making games to play among your friends" or something along those lines, and it is. But it's not for making commercial games, which is what I'd rather do.

Unfortunately no one has been able to contact Alastair Murray, the creator of Backbone, for ten years. He abandoned the project and the Amiga and started working on a FPS game maker for PC. There were heaps more features we wanted to be added before the program was abandoned, due to no one registering it. I'm really surprised I'm among the few people who ever used Backbone, since it's been on Aminet for so long, as well as being included on CU Amiga's cover CD.

I'm working on a simple web page for this Backbone Sonic project where you'll be able to download the game files and play around with them yourselves. If someone does make some new levels or something, we'll send/upload/attach them and add them to the main game, then release the compiled project again for anyone to download and update again. Then it could just keep growing, depending on how many people end up wanting to help out (my guess is less than three, but I'd love to be proved wrong).

Until then, I'm gonna whip up this page then get back to my real work.
Old 27 June 2008, 00:13   #44
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Can people who still have questions about this game please re-read my first few posts, and if you still need to know more about Backbone, I wrote a review of it back here - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36585 - Most of the game-engine related questions have already been answered, but I'll quickly go over it again.

I'm not a programmer. The closest I've come to coding is HTML for websites. I use a program that was abandoned ten years ago, which is available on Aminet, called Backbone. Backbone is a program for making platform games (like Turrican and Giana Sisters) and overhead shooters (like Chaos Engine and Alien Breed). It has a point & click GUI interface, which means the whole program is controlled by the mouse, and no code can be input. You have a limited amount of different settings you can have for each of the objects and players in the game, and a map editor.

I can't add extra features to this game. I've actually pushed the program futher than it should be possible. I've included springs, a spinning jump, and even a jerky loop. This really is as much as you can do as far as customisation, just tweaking the settings and finding workarounds and tricks.

I WANT to make real games. Backbone was described beautifully by CU Amiga magazine "Backbone is great for making games to play among your friends" or something along those lines, and it is. But it's not for making commercial games, which is what I'd rather do.

Unfortunately no one has been able to contact Alastair Murray, the creator of Backbone, for ten years. He abandoned the project and the Amiga and started working on a FPS game maker for PC. There were heaps more features we wanted to be added before the program was abandoned, due to no one registering it. I'm really surprised I'm among the few people who ever used Backbone, since it's been on Aminet for so long, as well as being included on CU Amiga's cover CD.

I'm working on a simple web page for this Backbone Sonic project where you'll be able to download the game files and play around with them yourselves. If someone does make some new levels or something, we'll send/upload/attach them and add them to the main game, then release the compiled project again for anyone to download and update again. Then it could just keep growing, depending on how many people end up wanting to help out (my guess is less than three, but I'd love to be proved wrong).

Boo Boo, thanks man, I'm glad I could make someone happy. You made me feel all nostalgic, remembering my schoolboy days, swapping stuff with other kids who had Amigas, laughing at the kids who only had NESs. I imagine any Sonic game, no matter how crappy, would have gone over well back in the day. I hope you'll try Backbone out, it's really quite fun to use, and if you make your own original games you can craft them to around Backbone's features and limitations.

I'll be back with a URL for a web page for this project. I might even try and throw a simple Backbone tutorial on there some time.
Old 27 June 2008, 01:06   #45
Amiga1992

Rebel, this is the part I dont understand.
If you wanna make REAL games, why not start a Sonic project properly instead of using Backbone?
Old 27 June 2008, 09:25   #46
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
I'll be back with a URL for a web page for this project.
Great! Thank you, Rebel-CD32.
Old 27 June 2008, 13:06   #47
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Akira, how hard is it to understand? There are no alternatives. You show me a better way to make a Sonic game on the Amiga, and I'll take it. Currently Backbone is the best platform game engine readily available, and NO ONE has offered to help code the game on this or any other forum.

As for REAL games, this is just a FAN game. It can never be anything more than that. I want to make high quality, original Amiga games, which is what I work on most days, but I decided to take a few hours (which turned into a couple of days) off to make this game, in response to the thread about Sonic on the Amiga.
Old 28 June 2008, 05:31   #48
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

http://sonicamiga.blogspot.com/
Old 28 June 2008, 07:35   #49
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

The backbone link with sonic files seems to be dead.
Old 28 June 2008, 10:28   #50
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
The backbone link with sonic files seems to be dead.

It works!

Thanks again, Rebel-CD32.
Old 05 August 2008, 06:14   #51
Xenon

I didn't knew about this fan-game. Keep your great work!
Old 10 August 2008, 16:10   #52
Xenon

Just tried the Amiga 500 version (I dont have a 68030, my Amiga 1200 "only" has a 68020). It runs like hell. It's absolutely outstanding. I think we must to join a community group to finish this game.