English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 May 2012, 12:53   #1
Ilyad

Amiga read/write error concern

Recently I unpacked my Amiga 500 (1MB) from storge, it was stored in a dry dark space in a plastic storage box.

I set it up fine and the first disk I tried was ok and I enjoyed playing my game, I use WIN UAE usually but wanted to use the old girl and play my games that I couldnt find anywhere online.

As I said the first game worked fine, I went to Ctrl A A to reset it, nothing happened so I had to Hard reset by turning the power pack off, when I tried the next disk it wouldnt run it said read/write error and on every other disk after, even on the one that had worked first.

Has my disk drive gone to silicon heaven?

Any help would be great.

Baz

Old 28 May 2012, 19:55   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Either that or the disks are past there shelf life. Try formatting a disk and writing something back.
Old 28 May 2012, 21:26   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyad View Post
As I said the first game worked fine, I went to Ctrl A A to reset it, nothing happened so I had to Hard reset by turning the power pack off, when I tried the next disk it wouldnt run it said read/write error and on every other disk after, even on the one that had worked first.

Has my disk drive gone to silicon heaven?
Hi Baz,

Did you hear any squealing noises from the disk drive at any point? If so, that could indicate that your drive heads have picked up deposits of mould from the recording surface of one or more floppies.

If this has happened, you will need to clean the drive heads before using it again and then check each disk and eject any that make that noise and keep those disks separate.

Then you will have to decide whether those disks are important enough to try cleaning.
Old 29 May 2012, 16:14   #4
Ilyad

Hi prowler how would I go about cleaning the drive heads?, yes there was squealing.

Old 29 May 2012, 21:48   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Ideally, with some isopropyl alcohol (IPA) applied to the heads using a cotton bud. If you don't have any IPA, then methylated spirit can be used instead.

Application will be easier if you can remove the top of the drive.

The mould sticks like glue, so you have to clean the heads very thoroughly and then leave for at least an hour (with the top removed if possible) for the solvent to evaporate completely.

If the drive still gives read errors after this, then the likelihood is that it's permanently damaged. (The drive heads are very sensitive and the screeching sound is caused by high freequency oscillation (vibration) of the drive heads, which is what can damage them permanently; hence the need to eject the disk quickly when it is heard.)
Old 30 May 2012, 12:03   #6
Ilyad

Ok thanks Prowler i have seen this pc drive cheap would it be compatible, i know some pc ones are, some are not and some need modifying!. That would be cheaper than getting a Chinon replacement.

Panasonic model number: sfd-321b

If not what would be the best alternative and best place in the UK to get hold of one either pc or amiga drives?.

Baz

Old 30 May 2012, 21:41   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok thanks Prowler i have seen this pc drive cheap would it be compatible, i know some pc ones are, some are not and some need modifying!. That would be cheaper than getting a Chinon replacement.

Panasonic model number: sfd-321b
Really I have no idea. There is a thread here which lists some of the drives known to be compatible with the Amiga after modification, but if it's not listed there, then you're on your own.
Modifying PC floppy drives for Amiga use

Quote:
If not what would be the best alternative and best place in the UK to get hold of one either pc or amiga drives?
I would have a look at what AmigaKit have in stock.
Old 31 May 2012, 13:01   #8
Ilyad

Amiga replacements are so expensive, I got a sony mpf920-e for 99p which can be easily modified so il clean the heads if that dosnt work il use the back up drive.

i looked up compatible drives and this sony was iin the list

Old 31 May 2012, 21:35   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I got a sony mpf920-e for 99p which can be easily modified so il clean the heads if that dosnt work il use the back up drive.

i looked up compatible drives and this sony was iin the list
Yes, the Sony MPF920-E is actually a very good floppy drive unit altogether. Nice find.
Old 31 May 2012, 21:52   #10
Ilyad

Thanks prower for all your advice