English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 December 2018, 17:22   #1
Honey Badger

making sense of CF cards :)

Finally figured out how to setup CF cards for my Amiga! I even got one configured effectively as a bootable hard drive with Workbench and the dang thing actually works either in WinUAE or my physical Amiga.

I found that doing the prep work in a virtual machine running kickstart 3.x works ... ran into various obstacles with kickstart 2.0x.

Not going to call myself an Amiga guru quite yet However, I'm understanding the functioning & setup requirements a great deal better than just a couple weeks ago.
Old 26 December 2018, 18:34   #2
Leffmann

In the end they can pretty much be treated like any regular hard drive, but they're much more convenient than the loud, hot 3.5" things we used to cram into the Amigas back in the day

Just be aware that CF cards are not fully compatible with the Amiga IDE ports, and some brands are sensitive and may die suddenly.
Old 26 December 2018, 18:53   #3
Amiga4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Not going to call myself an Amiga guru quite yet However, I'm understanding the functioning & setup requirements a great deal better than just a couple weeks ago.
That's the fun of it all! Enjoy learning about your Amiga Honey Badger!

Old 26 December 2018, 20:03   #4
Honey Badger

and had a bloody ephiphany! dawned on me that the compact flash card I've been using as a hard drive for my Amiga can be mounted to a virtual machine ... making it really easy to install applications (or whatever data/files or setup) for use back on the actual machine

have given up on the idea of using a CF card on the Amiga 600's pcmcia slot ... at least with 2.05 revision 37.300 ROM, based on a bunch of testing comparing/contrasting differing ROMs in virtual machines, have concluded it's not up to snuff on that count with more modern cards anyway --- and my original idea of using a CF card as merely transfer media has become totally unnecessary ... even the null modem transfer isn't necessary(but still can be nice for some things)

also ... that a hard disk image can be generated easily from WinUAE off a CF card ... quite nice for backups
Old 26 December 2018, 20:39   #5
ajk

That's what I tried to tell you early on in your original thread But good to hear that you have now got things sorted out.
Old 26 December 2018, 20:58   #6
Honey Badger

yup, ajk .... somehow didn't quite 'click', but finally got it