English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 06 August 2008, 01:14   #1
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Massive longshot! (Super 16mm film + camera needed)

I am preparing to create a feature film using Super 16mm format film.

I need more film stock, does anyone know anyone that my have some old stock to sell or give away?

Also wanted is a decent grade camera with s16mm capabilities. Bolex H16 is wanted.

Many thanks to EAB!
Old 06 August 2008, 01:32   #2
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

prolly don't wanna hear this but ebay's a good bet for bolex cameras. i looked around and saw a few one there that were in great condition
Old 06 August 2008, 17:17   #3
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing_1000 View Post
prolly don't wanna hear this but ebay's a good bet for bolex cameras. i looked around and saw a few one there that were in great condition
I have been checking Ebay but the camera must have these specs:

• Can use super 16mm film
  • Can be used with sound sync
  • Can take 400ft film loads
The modifications needed for a camera such as a Bolex H16 or K-3 will just cost too much.

I have found a few modified camera but I don't have a grand and a half handy at the minute.
Old 06 August 2008, 17:19   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

Just a stupid question, but why not a digital camera
Old 06 August 2008, 19:57   #5
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Just a stupid question, but why not a digital camera
I can't speak for Smiley but there are lots of reasons why someone might want to use film rather than going digital. There's a certain look/feel from using film that is difficult to recreate digitally (anything is possible though) and the other big factor is editing. Splicing film requires very little infrastructure whereas with digital stock you need access to an editing suite. Another factor is how you're going to show the end product. Making prints is *really* expensive.
Old 06 August 2008, 19:58   #6
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
Another factor is how you're going to show the end product.
The internet
Old 06 August 2008, 21:39   #7
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Shooting on digital is completely different to shooting on film. The characteristics of the end products are wildly different.

This project requires (in my mind) film and im hopefully going to use super 16mm which provides an insanely crisp and deep picture. Even HDV taken on a professional grade camera can not meet the standards of something shot on super 16mm.

Sadly I will have to telecine the film in order to use an editing suite on a computer as even producing such simple effects as fades is a tad too complicated for me using only the film and a splicer.

Hopefully the film will be shown at a number of local (hopefully national) festivals and also at my local art house cinema, but sadly not via a 16mm reel unless I get some extra funding for a print from digital.

At the moment I have 6000ft of film (around 2hr 40min) sitting in my fridge. At the least I would need at least 9000ft and even then that would be a struggle.

Oh and you also need to tie in the cost of getting it developed and telecined. Thats about a grand.

Last edited by Smiley; 07 August 2008 at 00:43.