English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 08 August 2008, 08:07   #21
TCD

It was Japan and hilarious
Old 10 August 2008, 02:21   #22
TCD

Couldn't resist to watch Hancock (at least no money spend for it ). I absolutely agree with gimbal : The first half is really good popcorn stuff, but whoever made up the 'story' should be shot . The plot that explains Hancock's abilities and the villian fight are ridiculous. Seems like they patched some ideas together to get an end. Well wasn't a complete waste of time, but just watch the first 45-50 minutes and live happily ever after
Old 10 August 2008, 05:28   #23
BippyM

You Don't mess with the Zohan is a fun film. Silly humour that had me pissing myself with laughter nearly all the way through. Ignore the stupid story and enjoy the gags
Old 10 August 2008, 14:56   #24
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

@ TCD:

Predator is also a great 80's corny action/slasher with some pretty nifty FX and shithouse acting... did anyone ever watch a Schwarzenegger film and expect good acting?
Old 10 August 2008, 15:07   #25
TCD

Yeah Predator is really a great action movie. It has it's own atmosphere and is really one of the best 80's action movies. And no I think nobody really expects good acting from Schwarzenegger
Old 10 August 2008, 19:15   #26
Shoonay
Global Caturator

DARK KNIGHT SEQUEL: JOHNNY DEPP AS RIDDLER?
Old 11 August 2008, 01:15   #27
TCD

I watched An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn tonight. I stumbled upon it when I searched for a parody. I never heard of that movie before (it's from 1998) and it's really a great one . I don't want to tell you much about it, but it's really a must see for all fans of sarcastic movies.
Old 11 August 2008, 02:37   #28
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Wait. This thread isn't for discussing movies about generals?
Old 11 August 2008, 02:44   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hmpf. I read somewhere that the riddler was briefly considered for a sequel and was quickly tossed because the character is simply too looney for the new batman series.

Can't they invent a new one for a change??? The joker is more than fine and part of batman lore, but the other villains (and sidekicks) are just... stupid :s
Old 12 August 2008, 03:43   #30
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

well, "el cabalero obscuro" (the dark knight) doesn't run yet until wednesday here in Madrid, so today I saw the Mummy 3 in stead.

Although the movie is a great watch, especially in the cinema, it brought about one great fear. Why do I have this creeping, crawling, growing and pulsating feeling that over the last few years the movies have gotten less and less story? Are movies following the same trend as games; the audience is assumed stupid so the content is left rediculously easy to follow?

Take the mummy 3 for example. They obviously had an even bigger budget than for the last movie, so for this one they go all out with the special effects and the asian fighting scenes. I was actually wowed a few times and that is a hard thing to do in this age where we are all terribly spoiled brats. The formula is still exactly the same; mummy is set free by the same people as the other two movies and will become a death threat to the world if not stopped in time. What else? Well...

- crazy pilot, check.
- face in water or sand, check (although not the same as in previous movies).
- somebody has to die for dramatic value, check.
- 75% made out of CGI effects, check (as said, glorious!)
- CGI army, double check
- occasional very funny moment and/or comment, check
- backstory told at the beginning of the movie, check

But wait! In the previous two movies there was a little story that unfolds as the movie progresses and the mummy actually has a reason to do the things it does, for love. But in the mummy 3? The story basically ENDS at the opening backstory scene and the mummy has no reason at all to do the things it does other than power and world domination. In fact, some of the characters in the movie are almost completely useless. It is all so... limited. Were the writers out of ideas after the wonderful "the Scorpion King"?

So what do you get? 1.5 hours of non-stop action, incredible CGI and a "wow!" feeling that is missing from so many other action movies. Heck, even the credits after the movie are worth watching, until they start to scroll up. It is a very good action movie an a worthy addition to the series, but the missing plot during the movie itself is a hard disappointment.
Old 13 August 2008, 01:32   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

on to the next movie, since everybody seems to agree with me on the Mummy 3

The title I just saw is "Jumper", with the same actor who played Anakin Skywalker in SW 2 & 3. While I really did not like him in Star Wars (he played the role like a bad emo kid), in this movie he is actually okay. The movie itself is also that, okay. It is actually more a video game than a movie in style, much like XXX only without the "I live for this shit!" crap comments. And we have Samuel L. Jackson with white hair... I'm sorry, but african american guy + white hair simply seems against nature to me.

I'm not going to rant much about this movie. It is a little low on story yet again, but the content more than makes up for it in style, flair, flashy action scenes and some nice scenery from all over the world (egypt, amazon, antarctica, new york, tokyo, etc.). Thank god there is no "to be continued" type of ending, this is fine as one movie but a repeat would be boring.

So my opinion: popcorn movie, but watch at home. I rate it a solid 7 for entertainment value.
Old 13 August 2008, 01:36   #32
Shoonay
Global Caturator

^
like i said before in the movie discussion that was sadly lost, i agree, "jumper" is a good movie
Old 13 August 2008, 01:46   #33
TCD

Just downloading Jumper (before gimbal posted here ). Let's see how good (or bad) it is...
Anyone ever seen 'Repoman'? It's from 1984 and has partly inspired Tarantino do make movies (there is a hint to this film in Pulp Fiction). It's a really strange movie, but worth watching.
Old 13 August 2008, 02:37   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

If you want strange, see "Eraserhead". But I warn you, only see it when you have a very firm grip on sanity at that very moment, because you may lose it during the movie. The constant sound of droning machines and steam pushing through pipes can drive any selfrespecting movie addict to the looney bin, not to mention a certain freaky mutant baby that may cause you to lose interest in having children for the rest of your life. And don't expect to understand it at the end, it's a Lynch movie. Nuff said.
Old 13 August 2008, 10:56   #35
BippyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Thank god there is no "to be continued" type of ending, this is fine as one movie but a repeat would be boring.
You must have watched a different 'Jumper' movie to me!

The ending is left open for a sequel!
Old 13 August 2008, 15:31   #36
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

no it isn't :s I'm not going to post a spoiler here, but the whole deal with the two "factions" can never be closed, it will go on forever. That is not an opening for a sequel, it is just part of the story.

Of course, hollywood can make a sequel to anything. Just look at Alien 4 for heavens sake. So in that respect ANY ending is an open ending.
Old 13 August 2008, 15:48   #37
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Just look at Alien 4 for heavens sake. So in that respect ANY ending is an open ending.
Oh, god, no... please, gimby, don't remind me about this one...
Old 13 August 2008, 16:22   #38
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
on to the next movie, since everybody seems to agree with me on the Mummy 3

The title I just saw is "Jumper", with the same actor who played Anakin Skywalker in SW 2 & 3. While I really did not like him in Star Wars (he played the role like a bad emo kid), in this movie he is actually okay. The movie itself is also that, okay. It is actually more a video game than a movie in style, much like XXX only without the "I live for this shit!" crap comments. And we have Samuel L. Jackson with white hair... I'm sorry, but african american guy + white hair simply seems against nature to me.

I'm not going to rant much about this movie. It is a little low on story yet again, but the content more than makes up for it in style, flair, flashy action scenes and some nice scenery from all over the world (egypt, amazon, antarctica, new york, tokyo, etc.). Thank god there is no "to be continued" type of ending, this is fine as one movie but a repeat would be boring.

So my opinion: popcorn movie, but watch at home. I rate it a solid 7 for entertainment value.
Good review

BTW:

Quote:
The DVD was released on June 10, 2008, and both Christensen and Liman have spoken of one or more sequels.
From Wiki.

Last edited by Anubis; 13 August 2008 at 16:32.
Old 13 August 2008, 23:19   #39
TCD

Sorry gimbal, but I agree with bippy here = open end. It's a good movie and : CGI FTW! The background story is very thin, but that doesn't mean very much in this movie since it's mainly about the freaky 'half'-action scenes. Pretty fresh kind of popcorn stuff Your rating pretty much hits the spot gimby
Old 13 August 2008, 23:44   #40
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Your rating pretty much hits the spot gimby
hey, i told you weeks ago how it's really good