English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 January 2005, 04:54   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

PSX game made by Amiga developers

I know that's not all that much interesting, but it really surprised me, so...

Last week I received a completley unheard PSX game from a friend, called Gekido.

The game is a 3D progressive beat'em up, like Fighting Force, but it's the 1st game to do this genre in 3D properly. It has lots of moves, and non-stop action. It also has a vs mode that can be played up to 4 players at once, and while it's not amazing, it's fun for a while. The whole game is pretty good in general, not everything outstanding, but a good take to try to bring the genre on 3D

The game was released in 2000 And what surprised me is that it was published by Gremlin Graphics and developed by NAPS Team. NAPS team developed Shadow Fighter on Amiga (Also published by Gremlin Graphics)!

It was a surprise for me... so many years after Shadow Fighter (The best fighting game that I could play on my A600), find out that they have made another game.

I wonder now if they had made anything else between Shadow Fighter and Gekido ...
Old 14 January 2005, 06:10   #2
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

They also did a Gekido sequel for the GBA released in 2003, as well as one on the way for the PSP. Check out their webpage at http://www.napsteam.com/.
Old 14 January 2005, 13:54   #3
Amiga1992

I wonder if they learned how to do japanese-style gfx properly? :P
YEs, from what I've seen, they have learned :P
Old 15 January 2005, 10:51   #4
StarEye
Zone Friend

Also, on the subway level of the PSX Gekido, you can find posters of Shadow Fighter on the walls
Old 15 January 2005, 19:48   #5
Npl

There was also a PSX-game developed by ex-Sanitiy Members. Was kinda like Wipeout, with more "extreme" courses. I believe the vehicles were Tripods.
Cant figure out the name right now, never played or owned it, just read it up in a Mag back then
Old 16 January 2005, 03:37   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, looking at the screenshots in the cover, I really thought at first the game was japanese....

And the game even have some stuff written in japanese (Boss names usually), just to give the "Japan feeling". They probably are like Kaiko, shame they are now developing for systems that are abundant in Japanese releases, unlike the Amiga.

They also made a scrolling beat'em up for the PC back in 1996, and Rageball on PSX. I have seen this game here in Brazil being sold a few times, maybe I should take a look at it.

Their site is really nice, with info on their games, and lots of info for Shadow Fighter.
Old 16 January 2005, 18:30   #7
plasmatron
Zone Friend

DIGITAL ILLUSIONS did a great reacing game fpr the PS1. The name of the game was MOTORHEAD. Was from 1998. Was one of my favourite PS1 games of al times.
Old 16 January 2005, 19:00   #8
StarEye
Zone Friend

You know, I completely agree. But they're still in business, and they're the makers of Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2.
Old 17 January 2005, 02:24   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Motorhead was released on PSX? I've seen it on PC too, nice game.

I still am not sure if the Digitall Illusions from the Battlefield fame is the same as our Amiga developers...
Old 17 January 2005, 06:49   #10
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand
Motorhead was released on PSX? I've seen it on PC too, nice game.

I still am not sure if the Digitall Illusions from the Battlefield fame is the same as our Amiga developers...
Yes, that Digital Illusions is one and the same. Making great games since Pinball Dreams on the Amiga way back in 1992. It's great to see a truely talented bunch of coders make it.
Old 17 January 2005, 10:15   #11
StarEye
Zone Friend

Still wish the would make another Pinball game though, that actually is playable. Haven't been any fun-to-play pinball games since the amiga ones.
Old 17 January 2005, 15:08   #12
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

Whilst I'm not 100% certain on this, there was a PS1 game called Lomax, a 2D platform romp based on the Lemmings characters-GFX shared a very similar style to a CD32 game also by psygnosis called Flink. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same developers involved int both titles.
Old 17 January 2005, 17:57   #13
jpmaverick

X2 - No Relief by TEAM 17 8)
Old 17 January 2005, 19:04   #14
Von würst

Arnt most european made psx games made by examiga developers?
Old 17 January 2005, 22:21   #15
Drake1009

Lomax was (at least according to the help file for the windows version) developed by Psygnosis.

And once you get far enough into it to get the traditional lemmings abilities it's a quite nice game.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:35   #16
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I read somewhere that Lomax was going to be a sequel to Flink...

Team 17 also made Worms Armageddon on PSX, not to mention Stunt GP on Dreamcast (And PS2 too, if I am not mistaken)

And the last good pinball game I played was Addiction Pinball, also from Team 17

My only gripe with it is that it only has 2 tables, and one is a whole lot better than the other. Still, I have never seen any other table better than the Worms table on Addiction Pinball in a computer pinball game. If it had at least 3 tables and they were all the same quality of the Worms one, it would kick Pinball Fantasies ass
Old 18 January 2005, 14:27   #17
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1009
Lomax was (at least according to the help file for the windows version) developed by Psygnosis.

And once you get far enough into it to get the traditional lemmings abilities it's a quite nice game.
Agreed Drake. Though I no longer have it, was quite a nice little platformer, although jumping along the springy flower things drove me quite mad as I recall! I did recall it was by psygnosis, just can't recall if the manual had mentioned the coders at all,(to compare to WIP from The One about Flink).

I also have a recallection of hiring out once a PSX pinball game which I think was credited to digital illusions,though it may well be the the one you've mentioned shatterhand. (As in published under Team 17,but by D.I.).

Also seem to recall the old Steve Turner Graftgold site mentioning Graftgold's being responsible for Bubble Bobble on PSX too.
Old 24 January 2005, 09:05   #18
Tim Janssen

Because I am into emulating SNES games lately, I found the game Toy Story was produced by another old Amiga favorite: Traveller's Tales (of Leander and Pugsy fame). Traveller's Tales are still active today and within a couple of months they will release Star Wars Lego - Revenge of the Sith. I saw a couple of screenshots, and it looks hilarious.

BTW. I have Lomax on PC and it looks very reminiscent to The Misadventures of Flink. I think both games are based on the same game-engine.
Old 25 January 2005, 04:03   #19
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Traveller's Tales have made some excellent games. Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R, both on Saturn, were made by them.
Old 05 January 2015, 05:25   #20
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Funny to look at this old thread of mine .

Traveller Tales now make the Lego games.

And Digital Illusions is famous for make a small game called "Battlefield", hehe.

And I was playing Gekido again last week... Jesus, I was asking myself how the heck I enjoyed that back at time. The game has aged awfully.