English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 May 2020, 17:40   #1
WDeranged

WinUAE 4.3.0 - Automatic scaling options cause vertical judder

I recently updated and while I'm loving the new low latency modes I'm having an issue with the autoscaling options in the filters panel.

It doesn't seem to matter which one I choose, any of the options which automatically resize the screen give me a small vertical judder. Most noticeable in the intro to Turrican 2, when the logo moves to the top of the screen.

Does anyone know what could be going on?
Old 05 May 2020, 18:51   #2
Rotareneg

The lagless vsync modes will always have some tearing near the top edge of the monitor due to the way they work. You'll need to scale the image down a bit so it doesn't reach all the way to the edges of the screen.
Old 05 May 2020, 21:35   #3
WDeranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotareneg View Post
The lagless vsync modes will always have some tearing near the top edge of the monitor due to the way they work. You'll need to scale the image down a bit so it doesn't reach all the way to the edges of the screen.
Thanks for the reply. This isn't just tearing, it's more of a stutter. The logo starts moving, stops and then jumps to the top of the screen rather than smoothly scrolling.

Vsync modes don't make any difference, and using any other scaling mode solves the problem. It's purely the auto-scale modes that cause it.
Old 05 May 2020, 21:42   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thats normal because scrolling usually includes changing hidden display size which will confuse autoscale. You can see same effect for example when you try to drag WB screen up and down.

In other words, due to way Amiga display works (there is no static/known borders like in most other systems), it is impossible to detect between display size changing and scrolling in many situations.
Old 05 May 2020, 21:49   #5
WDeranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Thats normal because scrolling usually includes changing hidden display size which will confuse autoscale. You can see same effect for example when you try to drag WB screen up and down.

In other words, due to way Amiga display works (there is no static/known borders like in most other systems), it is impossible to detect between display size changing and scrolling in many situations.
Ahh. I was starting to suspect it was due to this. Thanks Toni.